Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Online translators?

Online translators?

Do you have a translation question?

Online translators?

Postby gabi in japan » Mon 08.31.2009 12:45 am

I was just on the Practice Japanese forum and in the 下の人 game. I didn't understand some of posts so I used an online translator. It came up with some hilarious translations!! For example, for 下の人がヘビが好きです, a rather simple sentence which even I could translate, it translated as "I like people under snakes" :lol:

I gather that using an online translator is not such a good idea --?! Is it ok though to use it for checking individual words, not sentences?
日本と日本語が大好き!!!
gabi in japan

Native language: Aussie! (Australian)

Re: Online translators?

Postby furrykef » Mon 08.31.2009 1:16 am

I basically wouldn't recommend online translators for any purpose except as a last resort. Not even as a primitive dictionary; use something like WWWJDIC for that. For translating European languages (as long as both languages are European), it's not so bad, although even then they're too unreliable for my tastes. Google Translate in particular does some bizarre things sometimes...

One time somebody commented on a Japanese exercise I did in Japanese -- they obviously didn't speak English. So under it, they "helpfully" provided an English translation that obviously came from Excite (without saying it was a translation). Until I was sure that it was a machine translation, it had only served to confuse me further...

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Sairana » Mon 08.31.2009 2:36 am

gabi in japan wrote:Is it ok though to use it for checking individual words, not sentences?

It's probably even a worse idea to use it for individual words, since you've taken the word out of context entirely to translate it that way. Whatever it comes back with may be completely retarded, and you'll never know!

Use WWWJDIC For word lookup instead. At least that way you can also look at example sentences using the word to get a better idea of the nuance or various different ways it can be used.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby gabi in japan » Mon 08.31.2009 3:39 am

Thanks guys for your quick replies!
That WWWJDIC is great! I love it! It's so easy to use and I wish I'd found it sooner. It'll be a great help.
:D
日本と日本語が大好き!!!
gabi in japan

Native language: Aussie! (Australian)

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion