Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Directions

Directions

Do you have a translation question?

Directions

Postby leonl » Fri 09.18.2009 4:50 pm

I have attempted to translate a small paragraph from my textbook in order to get ready for class next week. These are directions you are giving to friends so they can meet you at your house. I had no idea what form(s) to use for the verbs so with the exception of a few I left them in their plain forms. I had to look up alot of these words in the dictionary , so I m sorry if a lot of them seem out of place. I would appreciate any and all corrections and ideas. Thank you for the help

Get off at Jr Higashimastation
JR 東山駅でおりる
Go out the east exit
東の出口を出る
There is a bank across the from the exit
銀行は出口にとくにある
Go staright down the street that runs along the bank
銀行のひきずると売りを行く
Turn right at the second traffic light
二番目のシンゴーを右に曲がる
(about 250 meters from the bank to the second traffic light)
銀行からシンゴーまで250歩です
Turn Left at the first light
一番目のシンゴーで左に曲がる
(about 100 meters from the previous light)
いぜんのシンゴーから100部です
Walk straight for 50 meters
50部にただに歩く
My House is on the right hand side next to a coffee shop
私の家は右側ですきっさてんのちかくにある
It has a red roof and a large gate
赤い屋根と大きい門がある
If you call me from Higashiyama station, I can meet you there
東山駅から私に呼ぶとそこに会えます
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
User avatar
leonl
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu 06.26.2008 6:42 pm
Native language: 英語
Gender: Male

Re: Directions

Postby jcdietz03 » Fri 09.18.2009 5:12 pm

呼ぶ is "to call" as in "call me by my nickname" or "don't call me that!"
かける - to make a phone call 電話をかける. Sorry, I don't know the kanji for it. 電話する is also acceptable. I don't know which one is more common, but they are both acceptable and common enough to be included in book 1 of an Elementary Japanese textbook series.
jcdietz03
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue 06.03.2008 8:16 pm

Re: Directions

Postby furrykef » Fri 09.18.2009 6:03 pm

You can also use 電話をする rather than 電話する, so there's no need to remember which way it is. :)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
User avatar
furrykef
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu 01.10.2008 9:20 pm
Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)
Gender: Male

Re: Directions

Postby coco » Fri 09.18.2009 8:36 pm

I think your attempt is pretty good. :)
You might want to review these words.
-----
・ across from
・ run along
・ meters ( this would be メートル or メーター)
・ 一番目の信号 is not grammatically incorrect but we rather use 最初の信号 or 一つ目の信号.
・ previous light ( we don't use いぜん here, 最初の信号 would be fine.)
・ meters (250歩( po) means "250 steps". 部(bu) is a counter suffix used for books, brochures )  
・ straight for
・ on the right hand side next to __.  (__ の 右隣です。 )
・ そこ会えます→ そこ会えます。  
--
Hope this helps.
---
edit: です/ます, ください form is preferable for this case, I think.
coco
 
Posts: 3061
Joined: Mon 05.30.2005 12:43 am
Location: 東京都
Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Re: Directions

Postby leonl » Mon 09.21.2009 2:45 pm

みなさん、ありがとうございます
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
User avatar
leonl
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu 06.26.2008 6:42 pm
Native language: 英語
Gender: Male

Re: Directions

Postby NileCat » Mon 09.21.2009 3:09 pm

Well, actually, I found it kind of difficult to translate into proper Japanese which is straightforward enough.
Here is my version. Not too polite, not too casual. I know it is your homework though, it's more challenging than you might think, to be honest. :)

JR東山駅で下車、東口に出て下さい。
出たところに銀行がありますので、その銀行がある道に沿って行き、2つ目の信号を右折します。
(銀行から2つ目の信号までは250メートル程です)
そして、最初の信号を左折して下さい。
(右折した交差点からは100メートル程です)
そして50メートル程歩くと、右手の喫茶店の隣にあるのが私の家です。
赤い屋根と大きな門が目印です。
東山駅から電話してもらえれば、お迎えに行きます。

EDIT:
Don't use this as your own answer.
It would be palpable that some native jerk made it up. :lol:
User avatar
NileCat
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat 08.01.2009 2:11 pm
Location: Tokyo
Native language: Japanese

Re: Directions

Postby Darkseed74 » Mon 09.21.2009 4:20 pm

I'm not sure if I can ask this question here or if this still qualifies as hijacking a thread, anyway...
NileCat wrote:[...] 2つ目の信号を右折します。

そして、最初の信号を左折して下さい。

Can I use で in place of を in the sentences above? If so what would be the difference?
User avatar
Darkseed74
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun 08.31.2008 8:47 am
Native language: Italian
Gender: Male

Re: Directions

Postby NileCat » Mon 09.21.2009 5:30 pm

Darkseed74 wrote:I'm not sure if I can ask this question here or if this still qualifies as hijacking a thread, anyway...
NileCat wrote:[...] 2つ目の信号を右折します。

そして、最初の信号を左折して下さい。

Can I use で in place of を in the sentences above? If so what would be the difference?

Yes, you can use で and it sounds totally fine. で would be the literal translation of "at".
On the other hand, を is very commonly used too. Especially when you give a direction to someone, it would be prefered by many people. I suppose this particle sounds something related to "action". And "で" sounds something related to "location".

Well...I'm sorry. I can't explain well. According to my dictionary, "を" in this case can be explained as "移動性の動作の経過する場所を表す". Can anyone translate it into good English?
User avatar
NileCat
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat 08.01.2009 2:11 pm
Location: Tokyo
Native language: Japanese

Re: Directions

Postby leonl » Mon 09.21.2009 5:35 pm

NileCat wrote:Well, actually, I found it kind of difficult to translate into proper Japanese which is straightforward enough.
Here is my version. Not too polite, not too casual. I know it is your homework though, it's more challenging than you might think, to be honest. :)

JR東山駅で下車、東口に出て下さい。
出たところに銀行がありますので、その銀行がある道に沿って行き、2つ目の信号を右折します。
(銀行から2つ目の信号までは250メートル程です)
そして、最初の信号を左折して下さい。
(右折した交差点からは100メートル程です)
そして50メートル程歩くと、右手の喫茶店の隣にあるのが私の家です。
赤い屋根と大きな門が目印です。
東山駅から電話してもらえれば、お迎えに行きます。

EDIT:
Don't use this as your own answer.
It would be palpable that some native jerk made it up. :lol:


First off Thank you

Second I dont quite understand what you mean. Do you mean the english is hard to translate into Japanese? Or that the Japanese I provided makes little sense?

Next I wouldnt use your answer as my own, From what I've heard about my proffessor I doubt I would get away with it. This isnt a homework assignment yet. Class starts Wednensday and Im trying to get myself ready by working through the review chapter at the beginning of the book
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
User avatar
leonl
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu 06.26.2008 6:42 pm
Native language: 英語
Gender: Male

Re: Directions

Postby NileCat » Mon 09.21.2009 7:18 pm

Sorry if I confused you.
The difficulty I found was the usage of the particles.
For instance, "Go out the east exit" can be translated as you did:
東の出口を出る which sounds totally fine.
But, you know, it is usually indicated "東口" in any Japanese stations in reality. So,
東口を出る or
東口に出る or
東口から出る would be "practical".
Besides, there are subtle differences in nuance. "を" or "に" or "から"? And even us natives need few seconds to choose the best particle to make the meaning clear for a total stranger there. But don't get me wrong, basically they mean the same and you don't need to worry about it that much. "東の出口を出る" is a perfect answer at any exams. I just wondered if I were taking your class, what my answer should be. And I couldn't choose the best and the most natural one for that.
I just found it intriguing.
Because...the questions about Japanese in this forum always help me out to understand English.
Anyway, good luck with your study!
User avatar
NileCat
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat 08.01.2009 2:11 pm
Location: Tokyo
Native language: Japanese

Re: Directions

Postby chikara » Mon 09.21.2009 8:18 pm

NileCat wrote:Yes, you can use で and it sounds totally fine. で would be the literal translation of "at".
On the other hand, を is very commonly used too. Especially when you give a direction to someone, it would be prefered by many people. I suppose this particle sounds something related to "action". And "で" sounds something related to "location".

Well...I'm sorry. I can't explain well. According to my dictionary, "を" in this case can be explained as "移動性の動作の経過する場所を表す". Can anyone translate it into good English?

Sorry, I can't translate that into good English.

"Shows the place of a migration movement's progress" :o

In my "A Dictionary of Japanese Particles" for を the sense that may be this is;

4. Used with a verb of motion, indicates that the action is continued at the place preceding it. English approximation; "on" "through"


Is that close NileCat-san or have I missed the point?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
User avatar
chikara
 
Posts: 3577
Joined: Tue 07.11.2006 10:48 pm
Location: Australia (SA)
Native language: English (Australian)
Gender: Male

Re: Directions

Postby NileCat » Mon 09.21.2009 8:49 pm

chikara wrote:4. Used with a verb of motion, indicates that the action is continued at the place preceding it. English approximation; "on" "through"

Thanks, chikara.
It seems good to me. Do you think it's ok as the answer about the difference between で and を?
あの角曲がると
あの角曲がると

Hmm... either will do in many cases. That's for sure.
But I'm sorry. I'll sleep on it. 私は眠い日本人です。
zzzzz.....
User avatar
NileCat
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat 08.01.2009 2:11 pm
Location: Tokyo
Native language: Japanese

Re: Directions

Postby Darkseed74 » Tue 09.22.2009 2:41 am

NileCat ,Chikara many thanks to both of you for your help.:)
This usage of を is more clear to me now, I also took a look at Daijirin where I could find more related examples:
〔移動する場所を表す〕

・ 列車は利根川を渡った
The train crossed the Tone River.

・ 銀座通りを歩いた
I walked along the Ginza.

・ 飛行機はパリ上空を飛んだ
The plane flew over Paris.
User avatar
Darkseed74
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun 08.31.2008 8:47 am
Native language: Italian
Gender: Male


Return to Translation Questions or Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests