Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 私たちの教会について

私たちの教会について

Do you have a translation question?

私たちの教会について

Postby magma » Wed 10.07.2009 5:53 am

I'm helping to translate a Japanese church's website. (edit: I'm translating J->E.) Since I know very little Japanese, what you see below is primarily thanks to the WWWJDIC, Space ALC, and my best guesses. Any suggestions before I send it to the Pastor?

私たちの教会について

教会の歴史
 当教会は1977年、前任の松田卓牧師の開拓伝道によって始められました。最初はミネソタ州Edina(イダイナ)にあった聖ペテロ教会の一室を借りて礼拝をしていましたが、その後ミネアポリス市内にあるベテル教会内に移りました。開拓当初より教会堂のために祈り25セント硬貨の会堂献金が続けられていましたが、ついに1993年、ベテル教会の近くに売りに出ていた倉庫を買い取り、多くの方々の協力を得ながら自分たちの手で改装して1994年に現在の会堂が完成しました。神様が祈りに応えてくださり、この地で時間を気にすることなく自分たちの会堂で礼拝ができる恵みを感謝しています。

現在、毎週日曜日午前11時から礼拝をしています。礼拝には日本人の他、国際結婚している配偶者や日本語や日本の文化に興味を持っているアメリカ人の方々も集まっています。教会はクリスチャンのためだけの場所と考えられがちですが、決してそのようなことはありません。どなたでもお気軽にご参加下さい。聖書や讃美歌は教会にあります。
なお教会の集会については集会案内のページをご覧下さい。

皆様のおいでを心よりお待ちしています。

About our church

History
The present church began in 1977 with former pastor Takashi Matsuda's pioneering church plant. Services were first held in a borrowed room in St. Peter Church in Edina, Minnesota, and then moved to Bethel Church in Minneapolis. Prayers and 25 cent building fund offerings continued from the start, and finally in 1993, a warehouse for sale near Bethel was purchased, and with the cooperation of many laborers we finished remodeling what is now the church's present building in 1994. God answered our prayers, and we are thankful to have been blessed with this place where we can worship free of time constraints.

Currently, worship services are held every Sunday at 11am. Besides Japanese people, international couples and Americans interested in Japanese language and culture also attend the services. People tend to think church is only for Christians, but this is certainly not the case. Anyone may feel free to participate.
Bibles and hymnals are provided. For more on church meetings, please see the Meeting Information page.

We are sincerely looking forward to your visit.
Last edited by magma on Wed 10.07.2009 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
神は、実に、そのひとり子をお与えになったほどに、世を愛された。
それは御子を信じる者が、ひとりとして滅びることなく、永遠のいのちを持つためである。
magma

Native language: 米語

Re: 私たちの教会について

Postby NileCat » Wed 10.07.2009 12:02 pm

It seems decent and beautiful to me.

Just a couple of things:
開拓当初より教会堂のために祈り25セント硬貨の会堂献金が続けられていましたが、

It was kind of difficult to understand for me. (I needed to read English to understand it)
But if the term (name of the fund?) or the concept is well-known there, it would be fine.

自分たちの会堂で礼拝ができる恵みを感謝しています。

Grammatically speaking, 恵み感謝しています is supposed to be preferable in our modern usage.
But if your church usually prefers the expression "恵みを感謝しています", please ignore me.
The bible sometimes uses archaic expressions. No one can tell which is "natural".
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby magma » Wed 10.07.2009 4:47 pm

Thanks NileCat! I appreciate your thoughtful analysis; I just hope you realized I was responsible for the English version, not the Japanese! ^_^; But I really appreciate your observations, and I'm sure you're right about the archaic usages that tend to creep into church people's speech; e.g. some church-going Americans occasionally say "in your midst" instead of "among you", and "do X lest Y" instead of "do X or suffer the consequences of Y".

Rereading my OP, I realize I wasn't explicit about which way I was translating: J->E or E->J. But actually it was the Pastor who wrote the original Japanese, and I'm attempting to translate it into English for the benefit of those international spouses and curious Americans he mentioned.
magma

Postby NileCat » Wed 10.07.2009 5:35 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry! :oops:
I didn't mean to quibble with your Pastor's writing. I just thought... :oops:
As I wrote at first, it's beautiful! :oops:
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby magma » Wed 10.07.2009 7:13 pm

:lol: No worries, it was my own fault for not being clear.

Since 日本語 is a 2nd language for me, I generally don't recognize "church speak" when I hear it, so it's actually quite interesting to get a sense of how these Japanese church folks sound to outsiders. :)
magma

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion