Postby Kurious » Thu 10.22.2009 5:26 pm

育 vs 生

Transitive:
育てる (sodateru)
生やす (hayasu)

Intransitive:
育つ (sodatsu)
生える (haeru)

Is there an important difference that I should learn here, or are they just synonyms? If I were to guess, I'd say that 育 relates to "bring up a child while educating" or "to grow up while learning"; whereas 生 is just to grow (i.e., a plant) or to grow up, pure and simple. But that's just a guess.

Thanks in advance.
Kurious

Re: 育 vs 生

Postby keatonatron » Thu 10.22.2009 7:05 pm

生やす is often used for hair.
育てる is most often used for children, plants, or animals.

In fact, I think 生やす is "grow" and 育てる is "raise" (except for plants, which would also be "grow" :? )

I think if you were to use 生やす with plants, it would only really work with grass or something you are trying to amass a large amount of (as opposed to tending to each one individually like you would with flowers or something).
keatonatron

Native language: English

Re: 育 vs 生

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 10.22.2009 11:52 pm

keatonatron wrote:I think if you were to use 生やす with plants, it would only really work with grass or something you are trying to amass a large amount of (as opposed to tending to each one individually like you would with flowers or something).

I was just going to mention that weeds and grass 生やす.
I mean you COULD 育つ, but it's really not something you need to put any effort into.

I always think of 育つ as something that you have to put effort into, where as 生やす is something that grows naturally without having to put any effort into it.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion