Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - For the sake of bad puns

For the sake of bad puns

Do you have a translation question?

For the sake of bad puns

Postby Dehitay » Sun 11.08.2009 10:40 am

I've recently realized that my Japanese is at a level where I can start making bad jokes, but can't always finish them in a way that satisfies me. There's 2 recent ones that come to mind that I want help with

The first one is a bad pun (actually all of them are) starting with いたいと言いたい. I wanted to finish it off "but it's not manly" or something along that line, but I'm not sure what the best translation for manly/macho is. I went with けど男っぽくない but I've been second guessing myself ever since. I'm sure it makes sense, but it just doesn't feel right for some reason.

I actually pulled the second joke off correctly, but it was so bad that I wanted to apologize and didn't know how to do so to my satisfaction. A friend was talking about Christmas bells (the 鈴 kind), and I responded with ああ、あのキンタマだね. As expected, that comment was met with awkward silence. I wanted to say "Sorry, I have a somewhat immature sense of humor", but I wasn't sure how to convey that in Japanese. What I went with was ごめん、まだ子供の心がある
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Re: For the sake of bad puns

Postby keatonatron » Sun 11.08.2009 12:07 pm

Dehitay wrote:I went with けど男っぽくない but I've been second guessing myself ever since.

Try 男らしくない.

男っぽい means something (that isn't a man, e.g. a woman) is "manly" (man-like? :lol: ); 男らしい means manly when talking about an actual man.

For the second one... just say something about being スケベ or a 変態  :wink:
keatonatron

Native language: English

Re: For the sake of bad puns

Postby furrykef » Sun 11.08.2009 6:48 pm

Well, since we have a topic about bad puns, I thought I'd share my own. (I'd write it entirely in Japanese, but I'm not sure how a genie should speak in Japanese... or if the Japanese would even find the concept of genie jokes familiar enough. :P)

A man finds a genie in a bottle. "Greetings, traveler. I am a genie. I will grant you one wish!" said the genie. So the guy says, カミになりたいぞ! And he got his wish: 紙になりました...
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion