Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Conversation

Conversation

Do you have a translation question?

Conversation

Postby crxdude » Wed 12.02.2009 9:26 pm

Hi, i've been having a conversation with a friend and i can't find a translation or any help on any site. I could quite easily just ask my other Japanese friends but i don't want then knowing my business, so would somebody be kind enough to help me out?

別の女の人はaがつく人でしょう!!!!!?知ってる:)フランスのディズニーに行ってhusbandに会わなきゃ・・・

In the previous part of the conversation we were talking about a private joke about another person, hence the strange in put of Disneyland. The other part however was a little more serious.
Firstly i don't understand がつく人 i thought maybe its a relative clause like the person who your attached to...
I can't find つく人 as a single word so i thought maybe its つく(verb) then obviously 人

Also でしょう with the question mark throws me off a little .
I translated it like this: The other woman your attached to, i know who it is. However i really don't think that's correct.

Any help will be much appreciated :)

Thanks
Phill
crxdude

Re: Conversation

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 12.02.2009 10:55 pm

What's that lower case "a" before the が? Is that mojibake? If that were 気 or something it would make more sense.

(でしょう followed by a comma just makes it a question like usual...)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Hyperworm » Wed 12.02.2009 11:04 pm

Just my guess but: compare to 超がつく (first hit from google: 超がつく(ほどの)初心者 = beginner with 超 attached = super-beginner)

aがつく人 = 人 with "a" attached... in other words, just "a" person, not "the" person?
"Other women are just people"?
Or it could be more literal, "the one with 'a' in her name"?

Really this could do with more context, for instance whether 別の女の人 could refer to something previously mentioned or not...
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby magamo » Thu 12.03.2009 1:44 am

Perhaps the context is like:

At least two people (say, The OP and A) are chatting.

The OP: (Remark about people, at least one of them is a girl.)

The person A realizes who the OP is talking about, so A goes:

A: Ohhh, the other girl has "a" in her name, doesn't she? (smiley, Disney, France, etc.) <- the Japanese sentence in question.

As for the exclamation marks and question mark, it's like:

Ohhh -> !!!!!
doesn't she? -> でしょう?

Also, Xがつく人 is a set phrase that means "a person with the letter/kanji/whatever X in his/her name."

As Hyperworm said, it requires more context. But the person A's word choice etc. suggests that the OP doesn't want to give more context than that. If that's the case, that's the typical context Xがつく人 is used in.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
magamo

Native language: Newspeak

Postby Hyperworm » Thu 12.03.2009 9:45 am

The only thing throwing me off the "letter in her name" thing was the choice of letter :? A vowel, and the 3rd most common letter in the English language (though name letter frequency is probably different...). Surely there was a better choice than "a" for hinting at this person >_>
Eh. ^^
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby crxdude » Thu 12.03.2009 9:52 am

Thank you for all your replies, i now completely understand what the sentence means. :)
The answer was quite straight forward, so i guess i didn't think about it enough....
Btw, "a" refers to 絢香 the singer....yes sounds strange but its another personal joke, i'm not strange lol :p

Thank you again for helping me.
Phill
crxdude

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion