Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - シャンプー占い

シャンプー占い

Do you have a translation question?

シャンプー占い

Postby toshichan » Thu 02.04.2010 2:56 pm

Hello^^
I'm new on this forum, nice to meet you all ^o^
I've edited my previous post 'cause finally I've resolved the past problem, but I've already another question for you^^;;
There is a doujinshi's dialogue I can't resolve by myself, 'cause there are too much sentences I can't understand at all.

Story Background: the chara A is a kind of fortune-teller, he can do predictions, especially love divination. The divination are made during the bath time: he use a shampoo + conditioner given by the person who want to receive the prediction, and while the rinse he lose a small amount of hair. At this point he "reading" the future in the "drawing" that those hair make in his hands. Like the most well-known coffee divination technique, the reading of coffee grounds :lol:

This is a small dialogue between two characters. They have just finished some workout and the chara A touch the head of chara B, saying he has ゴワゴワ (stiff, rough) hair and, to resolve this problem, maybe he could use a better shampoo, like him. Then he says a sentence I don't understand:

A: 一樹が言うには髪質って変わるんだって
「一樹」 is the name of a friend of him, a kind of "manager" in his second part-time occupation of fortune-teller.

The chara B is a little annoyed by his comment and he reply with :
B: いらねェよ。男のくせに...必要ねェ!
(Something like "I don't need it [a better shampoo], I'm a man.)

Then, I don't understand the reply of the chara A:
A: 遠慮ならいいよ沢山あるから (At this point, there are these parts of dialogue I can't read well 'cause they are hand-written). → http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6755/00033f.jpg

Then, the chara A says he's tired to do predictions, and for this reason he want stop to be a fortune-teller (...やっぱいやなんだ。俺の占い じゃあもうやめる。)

The reply of chara B is:
B: え?別に俺はそんな事は... (I don't understand this sentence)
A: いいよ。もう決めた (It's ok, I've already decided.)
B: だから待てって!!...っていうか (Wait a moment! I mean...[I'm not sure about the translation of だから in this context and っていうか])

That's all for now, I'll post something more later...there are other things I don't understand :sweatdrop:
Thank you so much in advance!!
toshichan

Native language: |

Re: シャンプー占い

Postby shin1ro » Sun 02.07.2010 4:52 am

Just a tiny help...
(At this point, there are these parts of dialogue I can't read well 'cause they are hand-written). → http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6755/00033f.jpg

1. けっこういいヤツとか
2. いらねっつってんだろ? <= 要(い)らないと言(い)っているだろう?

-shin1ro
英語がおかしければご指摘ください(日本語も...)。サンキュ〜 ;-)
shin1ro

Native language: Japanese

Postby toshichan » Sun 02.07.2010 8:14 am

Dear Shinichiro,
thank you for your kind reply :)

So, I'm quite sure that いらねっつってんだろ meaning something like "I say that I don't need it".
But けっこういいやつとか meaning something like "You are really a good friend" ? (I think it can't make much sense in the context...or maybe yes? What's the right translation? :| )

This is still a mistery 一樹が言うには髪質って変わるんだって
like え?別に俺はそんな事は...
Please help me with those two, I'm going mad :sweatdrop:
toshichan

Postby Hyperworm » Sun 02.07.2010 9:34 am

「一樹が言うには髪質って変わるんだって」 According to Itsuki, hair texture is something that can be changed.

「遠慮ならいいよ、沢山あるから」 No really, it's fine, I've got loads of them (遠慮ならいいよ = "if you're holding back / restraining yourself, there's no need for you to do that, it's OK")

「けっこういいヤツとか」 Some pretty good ones, too (ヤツ refers to the shampoos)

「...やっぱいやなんだ。俺の占い(。)   じゃあもうやめる。」 ...you really don't want/like it, do you... my fortune-telling... alright, I'll stop now, then.

「え?別に俺はそんな事は(...言ってない)」 Huh? That's not really what I (meant/said)...

「だから待てって!!...っていうか」 This だから is used when repeating or more explicitly spelling out a point that the other person apparently isn't getting. Here it refers to the fact that he's already voiced one objection (別に俺は...etc). So he's now repeating himself - "Look/Listen, I said wait!".
As for っていうか, the translation depends quite a lot on what follows it - perhaps on the next page. It's generally used to mean "[more importantly] / [in fact, instead of that it would be better to say/call it]". You wouldn't want to use either of those as a translation though. ._.
Hyperworm

Native language: English

Postby toshichan » Sun 02.07.2010 11:17 am

Dear Hyperworm,
many many many thanks. Finally I've understand those sentences :mrgreen:
Hugs!!
toshichan

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion