Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - In need of a script translator

In need of a script translator

Do you have a translation question?

In need of a script translator

Postby allismine » Sun 02.28.2010 10:41 pm

I'm not entirely sure if this is allowed here, but I figured I would give it a shot, if only because I have no idea where else to go.

In short, I am in part responsible for writing a screenplay for an ongoing series where one of the recurring characters is fluent in Japanese. Nobody who is part of the project knows or knows of anyone who is fluent, so I was wondering if anyone would be interested in taking part in helping me with the script. It's a non-paying position (if it was, we'd just hire a translator online), but hey, you'll get full acknowledgement in the credits, which can also be free advertising for a website or service of yours.

It's not a whole mess of dialogue, honestly--maybe a few sentences every week, if that. The show will have 'subtitles' so all we really need is the romaji.

Send me a message or post here if you wanted to find out more. If this isn't allowed here, please do not hesitate to delete this topic. I apologize if I'm breaking any written or unwritten codes of conduct--I was just looking for anyone interested in taking up the offer.

Thanks for your time!
allismine

Native language: English

Re: In need of a script translator

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 03.01.2010 12:16 am

Who is going to be reading the lines if you don't have anyone fluent in Japanese? Just wondering...
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby allismine » Mon 03.01.2010 1:25 am

becki_kanou wrote:Who is going to be reading the lines if you don't have anyone fluent in Japanese? Just wondering...
The actor reading the lines is currently studying beginner Japanese and can read off romaji really well. Even so, it's just a small little production we're doing, so any discrepancies we encounter won't really that big of a deal.
allismine

Postby jbourque » Tue 03.02.2010 11:26 am

I wonder if I can help? I'm a formerly professional J>E translator currently trying to establish myself in tutoring/ private education (both in teaching English and in teaching Japanese). If nothing else, I would be very happy to take any Japanese you derive from other sources and give you information you may desire about whether or not it "sounds right" or just how it would come off. I understand that you don't need it to be perfect in absolute terms but, the beauty of the language is in its ability to convey tone with precision.

My e-mail is jeremiahbourque@gmail.com and my skype is jeremiah.bourque . Feel free to contact me as necessary or desired. I've been working very hard on lesson material for beginning Japanese learners to help people avoid all the pitfalls and bad habits that require un-learning later, so I've been focusing very much on the kind of issues you seem to be facing. Thanks, and as a writer, I wish you the best of luck.
jbourque

Postby allismine » Wed 03.03.2010 11:51 pm

Fantastic, thank you so much for volunteering. I'll be in contact.
allismine

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion