Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - could someone help with あげる

could someone help with あげる

Do you have a translation question?

could someone help with あげる

Postby cruse_charles » Tue 08.31.2010 12:45 pm

I've got this sentence here: 女の子は友達にノートをあげます.
Roughly I can translate this into - The girl is giving a notebook to the boy. But it isnt "giving" since its not te form. Could someone help me translate this? Is it possibly future tense and can be translated into "The girl is going to give the note book to the boy."?
cruse_charles

Native language: English 英語

Re: could someone help with あげる

Postby furrykef » Tue 08.31.2010 2:11 pm

cruse_charles wrote:But it isnt "giving" since its not te form.

I assume you actually meant あげている. The "te" form is just あげて.

The future tense is one possibility, yes. It could also be read as simply "gives" -- Japanese distinguishes "gives" and "is giving" in much the same way we do.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Re: could someone help with あげる

Postby micahcowan » Tue 08.31.2010 8:21 pm

cruse_charles wrote:I've got this sentence here: 女の子は友達にノートをあげます.
Roughly I can translate this into - The girl is giving a notebook to the boy. But it isnt "giving" since its not te form. Could someone help me translate this? Is it possibly future tense and can be translated into "The girl is going to give the note book to the boy."?

Not "to the boy", but "to her friend" (there's no "boy" in that sentence, at least not explicitly). I'm assuming "her", but of course depending on the context it could be my, or someone else's friend.

あげます can mean "will give", "is going to give", or "gives"; probably the last. "The girl gives the notebook to her friend." It can also even mean "giving", especially since the English sentence "The girl is giving the notebook to her friend" can still mean that it's a future act that hasn't yet happened (or started) yet.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion