Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Internet relating terms -

Internet relating terms -

Do you have a translation question?

Internet relating terms -

Postby aph7824 » Wed 09.22.2010 2:53 pm

Hi,

it says I'm new here... but I'm not. I just couldn't find my old username and password... I haven't logged in for awhile. Worked at a few web start ups, started my own startup when I moved from the midwest to the silicon valley... it's been busy. But it is safe to say that I have steered far from Japan... and the language. Which is why I'm coming to you for help. I spent a lot of my time in Otaru, Hokkaido when I lived in Japan.

My friend built an app for the app store and everyone could ALWAYS use more users... so we're putting their app content in new languages... It's an RSS (blog) feed that shows news from RSS feeds (things like tech crunch, venturebeat.com etc that use RSS (blog) feeds to show news.) Their app aggregates all these news blogs into a pretty user interface. So when I mention source - it's a news source from a specific blog (like I said earlier, tech crunch, venturebeat.com, etc)

I am pretty decent in Japanese still although I don't use it. If anyone uses "tumblr.com" for blogging you know what a "dashboard" is. How would you say that in Japanese?

So big question : When speaking of the internet does the actual terms change?

alot of these are "tech" / "internet" options.

I know finished is owarimashita - but how would you say "Done" as like a button in the internet. "Owaru" 終わる?

Like the word done, I have the following few words:

All I need is confirmation that they can be used
Search: 検索する
Hints: ヒント?
Manage: 取り締まる
Source (news source): 源泉 or ニューズ・ソース

how do you say "Share on Facebook" etc. I know the words, but is their different terms for Social Media / Internet based sharing?
aph7824
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed 09.22.2010 2:33 pm
Native language: English

Re: Internet relating terms -

Postby micahcowan » Wed 09.22.2010 10:55 pm

aph7824 wrote:I know finished is owarimashita - but how would you say "Done" as like a button in the internet. "Owaru" 終わる?


Probably, 終了.

Search: 検索する


Yes, but possibly without the する, especially if it's in a button (and even probably if it's in a situation where you'd expect the phrase to be fairly terse, such as in a menu item). I encounter it more often without the する, except in explanations.

Hints: ヒント?


Should do.

Manage: 取り締まる
Source (news source): 源泉 or ニューズ・ソース


I'm not comfortable enough to answer these. "Manage" probably depends on context. If you mean something like "Manage your preferences", I see 編集 (though obviously that's more like "edit").

how do you say "Share on Facebook" etc. I know the words, but is their different terms for Social Media / Internet based sharing?


I use Facebook in Japanese mode; it uses シェア for the "Share" button. "Facebookでシェア" (Google has plenty of hist for that).

Hope that helps.
User avatar
micahcowan
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Fri 08.13.2010 2:08 pm
Location: California, USA
Native language: US English/米語

Re: Internet relating terms -

Postby chikara » Wed 09.22.2010 11:47 pm

お帰りなさい :)

micahcowan wrote:
aph7824 wrote:I know finished is owarimashita - but how would you say "Done" as like a button in the internet. "Owaru" 終わる?

Probably, 終了.

終了 appears to be used for "Finish".

I checked some Japanese software documentation and the "Done" button is 完了, for example;

English - Touch Done.
Japanese - [完了]に触れます。

micahcowan wrote:
Search: 検索する

Yes, but possibly without the する, especially if it's in a button ....

I agree. 検索 without the する is how I usually see it on the "Search" button.

micahcowan wrote:.... I use Facebook in Japanese mode; it uses シェア for the "Share" button. "Facebookでシェア" (Google has plenty of hist for that). ..

I use Facebook in English (Pirate) and it uses "Blabber t' yer mates". :mrgreen:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
User avatar
chikara
 
Posts: 3576
Joined: Tue 07.11.2006 10:48 pm
Location: Australia (SA)
Native language: English (Australian)
Gender: Male

Re: Internet relating terms -

Postby micahcowan » Thu 09.23.2010 5:05 pm

chikara wrote:お帰りなさい :)

micahcowan wrote:
aph7824 wrote:I know finished is owarimashita - but how would you say "Done" as like a button in the internet. "Owaru" 終わる?

Probably, 終了.

終了 appears to be used for "Finish".

I checked some Japanese software documentation and the "Done" button is 完了, for example;

English - Touch Done.
Japanese - [完了]に触れます。


You're right; 完了 ("Complete") for a button is probably better (both are fine for declaring something as being "done"); 終了 as a button or menu item seems to be used for "Exit" much of the time.
User avatar
micahcowan
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Fri 08.13.2010 2:08 pm
Location: California, USA
Native language: US English/米語


Return to Translation Questions or Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests