Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 先週に映画を見た人は誰?---very well but isn't this too specific ?

先週に映画を見た人は誰?---very well but isn't this too specific ?

Do you have a translation question?

先週に映画を見た人は誰?---very well but isn't this too specific ?

Postby damkay » Mon 01.31.2011 12:26 pm

i have this phrase:
先週に映画を見た人は誰
sen shuu ni eiga o mita hito wa dare?

but i feel like saying too litle with too much words...so can i say:

sen shuu ni eiga o mita ga dare?.........is this right ???
damkay

Native language: espanish

Re: 先週に映画を見た人は誰?---very well but isn't this too specific ?

Postby kt_anthrax » Mon 01.31.2011 12:44 pm

はじめましてー

先週に映画を見た人は誰

If i say this with less words, I do not use 「て、に、を、は」

先週、映画見たの、誰?

よろしく
kt_anthrax

Native language: japanese

Postby Hyperworm » Mon 01.31.2011 12:53 pm

「先週に映画を見たが誰」 doesn't work because you can't completely omit the noun at the end of a modifying clause, and also, が usually means "but" when it directly follows a verb.

kt_anthrax's suggestion is good.

Another alternative is that you could cut out 誰 entirely and leave the exact question implied (you might want to keep 人 instead of の in this case, to make it more clear). Whether it works will depend on context.
「先週、映画見た人は?」
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Native language: English

Postby damkay » Tue 02.01.2011 11:18 am

kt_anthrax wrote:はじめましてー

先週に映画を見た人は誰

If i say this with less words, I do not use 「て、に、を、は」

先週、映画見たの、誰?

よろしく

i think this is the most understandable version of all XD, the の means in this case exactaly what ? i have seen it like: " 's " in a phrase or to express property of... something like that.
damkay

Postby damkay » Tue 02.01.2011 11:23 am

Hyperworm wrote:「先週に映画を見たが誰」 doesn't work because you can't completely omit the noun at the end of a modifying clause, and also, が usually means "but" when it directly follows a verb.

kt_anthrax's suggestion is good.

Another alternative is that you could cut out 誰 entirely and leave the exact question implied (you might want to keep 人 instead of の in this case, to make it more clear). Whether it works will depend on context.
「先週、映画見た人は?」

ok i think you use a high level japanese because i don't really understand, shouldn't i use the " ka" at the end of that kind o questions:

sen shuu eiga mita hito wa?............for my noobie point of view doesn't seem like a question :shock:
damkay

Postby furrykef » Tue 02.01.2011 8:05 pm

damkay wrote:the の means in this case exactaly what ? i have seen it like: " 's " in a phrase or to express property of... something like that.

This is a completely different sense of の. In this case it's just a placeholder for an omitted noun (in this case 人). You can think of it as like using "one" in English, like 赤いのを ください = "gimme a red one!"

A related usage of の is to turn verbs into nouns (in English, these will usually be gerunds or infinitives). 遊ぶのが好きです = "I like to play" or "I like playing". (This is frequently expressed 遊ぶことが好きです, which is probably more appropriate in formal language.)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby damkay » Tue 02.01.2011 8:28 pm

furrykef wrote:
damkay wrote:the の means in this case exactaly what ? i have seen it like: " 's " in a phrase or to express property of... something like that.

This is a completely different sense of の. In this case it's just a placeholder for an omitted noun (in this case 人). You can think of it as like using "one" in English, like 赤いのを ください = "gimme a red one!"

A related usage of の is to turn verbs into nouns (in English, these will usually be gerunds or infinitives). 遊ぶのが好きです = "I like to play" or "I like playing". (This is frequently expressed 遊ぶことが好きです, which is probably more appropriate in formal language.)

OKKKKA thx that's interesting and disturbing, im scare with the many forms of saying the same thing in japanese including the wrong ones XD
damkay

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion