Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Need help translating a "Welcome".

Need help translating a "Welcome".

Do you have a translation question?

Need help translating a "Welcome".

Postby Captain Ichi » Wed 12.07.2011 5:47 pm

Hello, first off i'm Seventeen and new here, so please excuse me if I do something wrong :o.

Anyway, I am currently a Senior in High school and am in a Spanish Class and we have something called "La Bienvenidos" which literally translates to "The welcome". It is basically an introduction that you use to introduce yourself in front of the class. The teacher said it was a very important thing because it helps learn a lot of Spanish you can apply in life, I did not think much of it but when I finished learning it, I realized he was more right then I gave him credit for.

I want to translate the Welcome into Japanese (Because I actually WANT to learn Japanese, unlike Spanish which is a requirement).

I have not been formally studying Japanese (From books) long, and the only book I have whatsoever that involves learning Japanese is "Easy Hiragana" by Fujihiko Kaneda. It's not a great book to start with but it was all I could find (However I did memorize the Hiragana alphabet :D!) So the only real knowledge I have is the contents of that book and a couple sites I found on the internet.

Enough background stuff >_> This is what I actually have/need translated :)

----

Welcome to Spanish Class (Don't really /need/ this translated, but wouldn't hurt :O)

Today is (Day of the week) the (#) of (month)

It is (time) o'clock in the (morning, afternoon, Night)

It is (state the weather)

How is everyone doing?

My name is ______.
----Watashi wa Hunter.
I am a __________.
---- Watashi wa ____
I am 17 years old and my birthday is on the (#) of (month)
----Watashi wa ju-shichi ( Far as I could get >_<)
I love to ____ and ____ but I do not like to _____.
----All I know is Watashi is "I" and Ai is "Love"....
My favorite movie is ______.
----Watashi no sukina eiga wa /Megamind/ desu.
My Favorite Song is _______.
----Watashi no sukina ongaku wa /Love is War/ desu.
Right now I am very (State condition)

I hope you all have a wonderful day!

I know I am horrible with Japanese, my vocabulary is VERY limited but I am /trying/ to learn :/

Any help with this would be greatly Appreciated :D To be honest The most complicated thing I know without looking in my notes is "Watashi wa Neko o Tabemasu" (I eat cats ) >_>!
Captain Ichi

Native language: English

Re: Need help translating a "Welcome".

Postby furrykef » Thu 12.08.2011 4:25 am

My first advice is not to use "watashi" so much. It's usually fine to just use it once or even not at all when it's understood from context. If you take these sentences in isolation, it's fine to have any of them start with "Watashi wa ...", "Watashi no ...", etc. as appropriate, but if you put all these sentences together to form a single paragraph, it would sound very silly. Generally, Japanese uses pronouns only when absolutely necessary.

I'll focus on the ones where you attempted translations. A lot of the other ones are tricky anyway.

My name is ______.
----Watashi wa Hunter.

Don't forget the "desu". You can leave out "desu" in informal speech, but I wouldn't worry about that yet. "Watashi wa Hunter desu."

I am a __________.
---- Watashi wa ____

Same point with "desu".

I am 17 years old and my birthday is on the (#) of (month)
----Watashi wa ju-shichi ( Far as I could get >_<)

Juu-nana-sai desu. Tanjoubi wa [month]-gatsu [day]-nichi desu.

Here we get into the wonderful (read: terrifying) world of Japanese numerals. :)

17 is often read "juu-nana" rather than "juu-shichi". You add "sai" to mean "years old".

The month is straightforward. You just use the number and add "gatsu". Now, sometimes "4", "7", and "9" have different readings depending on which counter word you're using (gatsu is the counter number here). 4-gatsu is "shi-gatsu", 7-gatsu is "shichi-gatsu", and 9-gatsu is "ku-gatsu".

Reading the day, unfortunately, is rather complicated because the first ten days of the month are irregular, and so is the 20th. If it's not any of those, you can just say, for example, "juu go nichi". If you really must know, though, you can look the days up using this table.

I explained all this mostly to satisfy your curiosity; I don't really expect you to keep all this stuff in your head this early on.

I love to ____ and ____ but I do not like to _____.
----All I know is Watashi is "I" and Ai is "Love"....

Unfortunately, "ai" is not appropriate here; that's used for love between people. What you want here is "suki" (for "like") or "daisuki" ("really like", i.e. "love"). The formula for expressing "I like to [verb]" is "[verb] koto ga suki desu". This will make sense once you know that "[noun] ga suki desu" is how you say "I like [noun]", and "koto" is how you turn verbs into nouns. Note that "suki" is an adjective, not a verb! It literally means something like "[noun] is pleasing to me".

My favorite movie is ______.
----Watashi no sukina eiga wa /Megamind/ desu.

Perfect. Technically the "na" is separate from "suki" (it's the same "suki" we just discussed), but that's not very important since where to put spaces is just a romanization convention.

My Favorite Song is _______.
----Watashi no sukina ongaku wa /Love is War/ desu.

"Ongaku" means "music" rather than "song" specifically. You can use "uta" or "kyoku" to mean "song". They're synonymous as far as I can tell.

As you see, it's easy to get in over your head pretty fast. We're already dealing with things such as irregular numeral forms and how to turn verbs into nouns! For this reason, I think it's good idea to follow some sort of lesson structure (such as from a book) instead of starting out with exercises like these. That way you can manage how much new information you have to absorb at time, and believe me, you will have to absorb a lot. But it will come with time, patience, and practice. :)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Ongakuka » Thu 12.08.2011 8:45 am

You can use "uta" or "kyoku" to mean "song". They're synonymous as far as I can tell.

Typically 'uta' would be a song that is 'sung' (i.e has words) and 'kyoku' refers to a piece of music, with or without a sung melody

In this context perhaps either is fine :think:
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Pianogirl123 » Thu 12.08.2011 11:23 am

by the way if you need any help with spanish we're here for you too :P (o tal vez solo yo.\ jajaja)
Pianogirl123

Postby Captain Ichi » Fri 12.09.2011 12:42 am

Wow than kyou :D I really was not expecting someone to spend so much time helping me, thanks :) It means a lot! :D!!
Captain Ichi

Postby Kurume » Sat 12.31.2011 8:13 am

You'd never formally being introducing yourself in Japanese without saying either:

はじめまして。
Hajimemashite.

at the beginning, or:

よろしくおねがいします。
Yoroshikuonegaishimasu.

at the end... or both. These are usually among the very first words you learn in any Japanese textbook. It's most advisable that you learn those terms before continuing... おぼえたほうがいいなあー :D
Kurume

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion