Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - いいもんでろ?

いいもんでろ?

Do you have a translation question?

いいもんでろ?

Postby レトラーマンティーク » Wed 04.25.2012 9:05 am

Hello all!

I have trouble understanding what group of words it is made of and therefore of course, what it means. I'm going to post a screen cap of the sentence (well, part of it) and my romaji transcription of the whole sentence along with my attempts to deconstruct and translate it.

Context: just picked my first Pokémon.

Please tell me also what you think of my sentence deconstructing, as I am not quite sure of my understanding so far either...
Thank you!
For me, style is about spirit and attitude. My style is not about “age,” it’s about having a little fun, opting for a bit of glamour, and not taking yourself so seriously. - Anna Sui
レトラーマンティーク

Native language: French

Re: いいもんでろ?

Postby richvh » Wed 04.25.2012 9:47 am

(きぶんの) いいもんだろ (not いいもんでろ) = いい もの だろう when you expand the contractions. "It's something that feels good, right?" or along those lines.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Hyperworm » Wed 04.25.2012 10:56 am

And to answer your other question:

そうやって = so doing. Doing like that and. Describes "pkmn o tsure aruku" as what the listener is doing / has just done. I'd probably translate with just "like that".

つれあるく = actually a single compound verb, to walk with / to bring along walking. It is connected to your noun tsure though (tsure is the masu stem of tsureru).

の (the last one) = a substitute for が in modifying clauses (because が tends to emphasize the previous word a bit)

Well deconstructed :)
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Native language: English

Re: いいもんだろ?

Postby レトラーマンティーク » Wed 04.25.2012 12:34 pm

Ahh! How could I mix で and だ X__X
Thank you very much richvh for helping me deciphering いいもんだろ. However, how does もの work in there? Wikipedia's list and explanation of particles doesn't mention anything about the use of mono outside of creating a noun when added to certain verbs or a casual feminine sentence ender. (And if you have something similar but better of that list with explanations I linked, I'd be grateful if you shared it!)

Hyperworm, your help is greatly appreciated. I finally really understand how kanji is important in Japanese, because when I try to break down sentences from that kana-only game, I can never be sure if a group of kana make a word only or more than one.

So now, would this translation be accurate?

How is it (doudai)? Doesn't it feel (kibun) very (nakana) nice (ii) to be walking (aruku) with your companion (tsure) like that (souyatte)?

As I said above though, I don't quite get the もの here. And what kind of sentence ender is だろう exactly? I know it's a form of the copula だ, but I've always wondered how it differenciates itself from it.

Thank you guys for your help once again!
For me, style is about spirit and attitude. My style is not about “age,” it’s about having a little fun, opting for a bit of glamour, and not taking yourself so seriously. - Anna Sui
レトラーマンティーク

Postby richvh » Wed 04.25.2012 12:57 pm

もの here is a noun, not a particle... an abstract thing.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby レトラーマンティーク » Wed 04.25.2012 4:38 pm

Ah, I see, now that makes sense, thank you once again richvh. So iimono would mean "a good thing"? So how would you work it in this translation, because it obviously can't be right if what I thought was nice becomes "a good thing":

How is it (doudai)? Doesn't it feel (kibun) very (nakana) nice (ii) to be walking (aruku) with your companion (tsure) like that (souyatte)?
レトラーマンティーク

Postby Shiroisan » Thu 04.26.2012 2:01 am

レトラーマンティーク wrote:Ah,

What does your username mean :dance: ?
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby Hyperworm » Thu 04.26.2012 7:33 am

レトラーマンティーク wrote:Ah, I see, now that makes sense, thank you once again richvh. So iimono would mean "a good thing"? So how would you work it in this translation, because it obviously can't be right if what I thought was nice becomes "a good thing":

"kibun no ii mono" would be "a thing that feels good (atmosphere-wise)".
Add "daro?" for "is a thing that feels good, isn't it!" (seeking confirmation)
Recognizing, of course, the fact that "what is literal and the correct way to understand the sentence" may not be the same as "what you want to translate it as".

By the way, you lost "pokémon" in your translation :D It should take the place of "tsure" (which isn't a separate noun--just part of the verb "walking").
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Native language: English

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion