Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - NHK News Web Easy Translation - 10 nen ijou mae no senpuuki

NHK News Web Easy Translation - 10 nen ijou mae no senpuuki

Do you have a translation question?

NHK News Web Easy Translation - 10 nen ijou mae no senpuuki

Postby maikumaiku » Fri 06.22.2012 8:24 am

I translated this today from the NHK Easy website. Some of the translation was very difficult for me in paticular No.4. and 5 don't make much sense to me!

Any help, feedback and improvements would be greatly appreciated.

ことしの夏なつは節電せつでんのために扇風機せんぷうきを使つかう人ひとが増ふえそうです。
Summer this year, for the sake of the blackout it seems people using fans is on the increase.

しかし、扇風機せんぷうきは古ふるくなると、モーターの油あぶらがなくなってコイルがショートするなど、部品ぶひんが悪わるくなって火事かじが起おこりやすくなります。
However, with the fans becoming old, the motor oil dissapears, the coil shorts out and so forth, parts become bad, it becomes easy source to catch fire.

今いままでにも古ふるい扇風機せんぷうきが原因げんいんで火事かじになって、人ひとが亡なくなったことがあります。
Even now, old fans become the source of fires, people have died.

製品せいひんが原因げんいんで起おこった事故じこを調しらべているNITE=製品せいひん安全あんぜんセンターによると、平成へいせい23年度ねんど(2011年度ねんど)までの6年ねんで、扇風機せんぷうきの事故じこは231件けん起おこりました。
By means of the source of manufactured goods, investigating occured accidents NITE is the manufactured goods safety centre, by dropping in, in the last 6 years of the Heisei period, there were 231 occurances of fan accidents.

その40%の91件けんは、10年ねん以上いじょう前まえにつくった扇風機せんぷうきを使つかっているときに起おこった事故じこでした。
Of that 40% in 91 occurances, accidents occured when using used fans over 10 years previously.

このため、NITEは10年ねん以上いじょう前まえにつくった扇風機せんぷうきを使つかうときには、よく注意ちゅういするように言いっています。
For this sake, NITE says when using used fans over 10 years previously, they should make sure there are often warnings.

例たとえば、出でかけるときや寝ねるときには扇風機せんぷうきをつけたままにしないでください。
For example, when going out or when sleeping, please don't leave fans switched on. [in a switched on state]

また、スイッチを入いれても回まわらなかったり、変へんな音おとや振動しんどう、何なにかが焼やけるようなにおいがしたりした場合ばあいは、すぐに止とめてその扇風機せんぷうきは使つかわないように注意ちゅういしています。
Also, if switiching the switch also didn't work well, strange sounds or vibrating, did something like burning smell just after, in that situation, immeadiately stop that fan and be warned not to use it.
maikumaiku

Native language: English

Re: NHK News Web Easy Translation - 10 nen ijou mae no senpu

Postby furrykef » Fri 06.22.2012 9:15 am

Here are my translations.

maikumaiku wrote:ことしの夏なつは節電せつでんのために扇風機せんぷうきを使つかう人ひとが増ふえそうです。
Summer this year, for the sake of the blackout it seems people using fans is on the increase.

I think you pasted this wrong, because the furigana are mixed inline with the kanji, making it very hard to read.

Let's clean it up: ことしの夏は節電のために扇風機を使う人が増えそうです。 (from here on I will put the cleaned up sentences in the quotations)

"This summer, it looks like the number of people using electric fans to save electricity is rising." (I guess the idea here is fans use less electricity than air conditioners.)

しかし、扇風機は古くなると、モーターの油がなくなってコイルがショートするなど、部品が悪くなって火事が起こりやすくなります。
However, with the fans becoming old, the motor oil dissapears, the coil shorts out and so forth, parts become bad, it becomes easy source to catch fire.

"However, as the fans become old, the motor oil runs out, the coil shorts out, etc., parts go bad and catch fire easily." (The last part is literally more like "become so that they catch fire easily", but this nuance doesn't translate well to English.)

今までにも古い扇風機が原因で火事になって、人が亡くなったことがあります。
Even now, old fans become the source of fires, people have died.

You need an "and" after the comma, but otherwise I think this is fine.

製品が原因で起こった事故を調べているNITE=製品安全センターによると、平成23年度(2011年度)までの6年で、扇風機の事故は231件起こりました。
By means of the source of manufactured goods, investigating occured accidents NITE is the manufactured goods safety centre, by dropping in, in the last 6 years of the Heisei period, there were 231 occurances of fan accidents.

This one's much tougher, so this is a bit of a guess.

"According to the NITE product safety center, which is investigating the products that are the source of the accidents, there have been 231 accidents from 2005 to 2011." (literally "In the six years up to 2011")

その40%の91件は、10年以上前につくった扇風機を使っているときに起こった事故でした。
Of that 40% in 91 occurances, accidents occured when using used fans over 10 years previously.

"91 (40%) of the accidents occurred when using fans that were made over 10 years ago." (literally "10 or more years ago", but I don't think the distinction is important here)

このため、NITEは10年以上前につくった扇風機を使うときには、よく注意するように言いっています。
For this sake, NITE says when using used fans over 10 years previously, they should make sure there are often warnings.

"Due to this, NITE says to be very careful when using fans that were made over 10 years ago."

例えば、出かけるときや寝るときには扇風機をつけたままにしないでください。
For example, when going out or when sleeping, please don't leave fans switched on. [in a switched on state]

This is fine (though using "please" seems unnatural in a news article).

また、スイッチを入れても回らなかったり、変な音や振動、何かが焼けるようなにおいがしたりした場合は、すぐに止めてその扇風機は使わないように注意しています。
Also, if switiching the switch also didn't work well, strange sounds or vibrating, did something like burning smell just after, in that situation, immeadiately stop that fan and be warned not to use it.

"Also, they warn you to immediately stop the fan and not use it if it will not spin even when turned on [lit. 'after putting the switch in'], if there are strange sounds or vibrations, or it smells like something is burning."
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Re: NHK News Web Easy Translation - 10 nen ijou mae no senpu

Postby maikumaiku » Mon 06.25.2012 5:31 am

Hey, furrykef. Thanks so much for your help with this. Especially as I didn't cut & paste the Japanese properly!

Cheers

Mike
maikumaiku

Native language: English

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion