Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 漏 vs 洩

漏 vs 洩

Do you have a translation question?

漏 vs 洩

Postby MeitanteiJesus » Thu 07.26.2012 5:04 pm

Apparently both of these mean to let leak or reveal, is there a time when one is used over the other?

---

Edit: Second question came up: 焦れば焦るほど

Does that phrase just mean "The more impatient you are while you are in a hurry..." with a negative connotation?

So in the line: 焦れば焦るほど言葉が続かず、助け船を求めるように明美の方を見てしまう。

Translation attempt:
The more impatient he was, the less words came out, and then he looked in the direction of Akemi as if seeking help.

Also, what exactly does しまう add to the sentence?
MeitanteiJesus

Native language: English

Re: 漏 vs 洩

Postby NileCat » Fri 07.27.2012 6:42 am

1) You can use 漏 almost always as the “correct” kanji, because it’s Joyo Kanji whereas 洩 is not. However, as the purpose of Joyo Kanji is considered to be, it doesn’t mean it rules out the traditional or customary practice. Many people would prefer 洩 in some specific expressions such as 御多分に洩れず even today. There is no explicit rule. When you refer to water or liquid, it’s almost always 漏. But when it comes to some metaphoric expression, 洩 is sometimes used. For instance, I personally prefer 木洩れ陽. But some would stick to 木漏れ日. In short, the difference is only a matter of nuance and personal preference, so to speak.

2) Your understanding is right.

3) Something like “end up”.
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Re: 漏 vs 洩

Postby MeitanteiJesus » Fri 07.27.2012 11:21 am

Thanks for the explanation once again, I guess I'll just have to remember both Kanji :o
MeitanteiJesus

Native language: English

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion