Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 陰我

陰我

Do you have a translation question?

陰我

Postby MeLu » Thu 10.20.2005 2:11 am

I came across this title to an episode of a tv show on another website. I've come across three different translations to this title yet they all seem off some how.

陰我 --- kage ga?

One site has it translated simple as "shade" another as "yin self" and yet a third as "our shade." What is the correct translation? I'm thinking it's more along the lines of "Our Shadow."

陰 【いん; かげ】 (いん) (n) yin; (かげ) (n) shade; shadow; other side; SP
我 【わが; われ】 (わが) (adj-pn,n) my; our; one's own; (われ) (n) me; oneself; self; ego; SP
MeLu

RE: 陰我

Postby AJBryant » Thu 10.20.2005 11:48 am

Interesting term. Like many such neologisms (it's not a "normal" Japanese word -- it's actually a couple of conceptual kanji slapped together) it's not easy to translate "neatly" into simple English. This also helps to indicate why translations of it are so varied -- they're trying to also be short and pithy.

"Our Shadow" (or "My Shadow" ) would, normally, REVERSE those two kanji -- the kanji before modifying the kanji following. In this case, the shadow comes first, so it actually modifies the second kanji -- the I/we.

Literally, I would read that as "the shadow me" or "the shadow us." Of course, there are shades (sorry ;)) of meaning for "kage" so it could have any number of actual meanings and implications. For example, a warrior's "double" on the field is called his "shadow warrior" so that sort of thing needs to be taken into account. And then, there's also the whole yin vs. yang thing...

Tony
Last edited by AJBryant on Thu 10.20.2005 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

RE: meaning of 陰我

Postby Yoshiro » Thu 10.20.2005 12:18 pm

This is a cantonese term, Hong Konger always say that. It means something like "play trick on me".
Yoshiro

Postby MeLu » Thu 10.20.2005 5:02 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Interesting term. Like many such neologisms (it's not a "normal" Japanese word -- it's actually a couple of conceptual kanji slapped together) it's not easy to translate "neatly" into simple English. This also helps to indicate why translations of it are so varied -- they're trying to also be short and pithy.

"Our Shadow" (or "My Shadow" ) would, normally, REVERSE those two kanji -- the kanji before modifying the kanji following. In this case, the shadow comes first, so it actually modifies the second kanji -- the I/we.

Literally, I would read that as "the shadow me" or "the shadow us." Of course, there are shades (sorry ;)) of meaning for "kage" so it could have any number of actual meanings and implications. For example, a warrior's "double" on the field is called his "shadow warrior" so that sort of thing needs to be taken into account. And then, there's also the whole yin vs. yang thing...

Tony

You almost hit the nail square on the head. The episode (where the title comes from) does deal with good and evil. The whole premise of it was of the darkness (impure) that lies within the human heart due to things like greed.
MeLu

Postby AJBryant » Thu 10.20.2005 11:35 pm

This is a cantonese term, Hong Konger always say that. It means something like "play trick on me".

Interesting.

However, that doesn't have anything to do with its appearance in Japanese... (Nice to know, though -- I don't do Cantonese, but I'm trying to improve my Mandarin.)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion