Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Homework at the job

Homework at the job

Do you have a translation question?

Homework at the job

Postby tigress » Thu 01.17.2013 8:57 am

Hi!

I'm learning Japanese since 3 months know and my boss gives me some homework to do. I still have a problem with word order. Can you help me? I can only use Hiragana.

'My job is very hard' > watashi shigoto ha taihen desu.

I don't even know where to add 'very' :(
User avatar
tigress
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu 01.17.2013 8:41 am
Native language: Polish

Re: Homework at the job

Postby phreadom » Thu 01.17.2013 12:50 pm

tigress wrote:'My job is very hard' > watashi shigoto ha taihen desu.

I don't even know where to add 'very' :(


I think it should be "watashi no shigoto wa taihen desu."

To answer your question, "taihen" itself means "very hard". So you don't need a modifier word to make it "very". :)

"大変 【たいへん】 (adv) (1) very; greatly; (adj-na,n) (2) immense; enormous; great; (3) serious; grave; dreadful; terrible; (4) difficult; hard; (5) (arch) major incident; disaster; (P)"

As for why we also need the "no" ( の ) particle... it shows possession basically... it shows that it's YOUR job.

http://thejapanesepage.com/grammar/chap ... ssive_s_no

(And I wrote "wa" for は because that's how it's pronounced when used as a particle. (otherwise it is the kana for "ha" when not used as a particle) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepburn_ro ... #Particles )

I hope this helps answer your question! :bow:
猿も木から落ちる
User avatar
phreadom
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: Sun 01.29.2006 8:43 pm
Location: Michigan, USA
Native language: U.S. English (米語)
Gender: Male

Re: Homework at the job

Postby tigress » Thu 01.17.2013 1:37 pm

Thank you very much :)

I still have a problem with: 'I made delicious sandwiches' but you helped me a lot! :D
User avatar
tigress
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu 01.17.2013 8:41 am
Native language: Polish

Re: Homework at the job

Postby Cheesecake » Thu 01.17.2013 7:09 pm

Hello! ^_^

tigress wrote:I still have a problem with: 'I made delicious sandwiches'

What sort of problem?
Your sentence should be "Oishii sandoicchi o tsukurimashita" (美味しいサンドイッチを作りました).
In hiragana "おいしい さんどいっち を つくりました", but "sandoicchi" should be written in katakana, so "おいしい サンドイッチ を つくりました".
私の日本語はいいかどうかいつも迷ってるので、間違いがあれば添削をお願いします!m(_ _)m
Cheesecake
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue 01.01.2013 9:30 am
Native language: 日本語じゃない( ̄^ ̄)(悲)
Gender: Female

Re: Homework at the job

Postby hemat » Wed 06.19.2013 5:48 am

phreadom wrote:To answer your question, "taihen" itself means "very hard". So you don't need a modifier word to make it "very". :)

"大変 【たいへん】 (adv) (1) very; greatly; (adj-na,n) (2) immense; enormous; great; (3) serious; grave; dreadful; terrible; (4) difficult; hard; (5) (arch) major incident; disaster; (P)"


I was going to tell her the right sentence is " watashi no shigoto wa totemo taihen desu " but thanks to your clarification i get it now so :bow:
hemat
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed 06.19.2013 4:33 am
Native language: English

Re: Homework at the job

Postby zarmed003 » Sun 10.27.2013 1:14 pm

phreadom wrote:
tigress wrote:'My job is very hard' > watashi shigoto ha taihen desu.

I don't even know where to add 'very' :(


I think it should be "watashi no shigoto wa taihen desu."

To answer your question, "taihen" itself means "very hard". So you don't need a modifier word to make it "very". :)

"大変 【たいへん】 (adv) (1) very; greatly; (adj-na,n) (2) immense; enormous; great; (3) serious; grave; dreadful; terrible; (4) difficult; hard; (5) (arch) major incident; disaster; (P)"

As for why we also need the "no" ( の ) particle... it shows possession basically... it shows that it's YOUR job.

http://thejapanesepage.com/grammar/chap ... ssive_s_no

(And I wrote "wa" for は because that's how it's pronounced when used as a particle. (otherwise it is the kana for "ha" when not used as a particle) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepburn_ro ... #Particles )

I hope this helps answer your question! :bow:

thanks alot for your help :pray:
am happy
zarmed003
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun 10.27.2013 1:10 pm
Native language: NA


Return to Translation Questions or Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests