Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - tasuketekudasaimasenka?

tasuketekudasaimasenka?

Do you have a translation question?

tasuketekudasaimasenka?

Postby InsanityRanch » Thu 10.27.2005 11:34 pm

I am baffled by the following sentence:

話題が話題を呼ぶと言うよりも、高度情報化社会特有のメディアの増幅効果に宣伝やパブリシティーをうまく重ねて、売れる本を更に売ると言う戦略が見事に功を奏したのだろう。

I think I get the end of it -- the writer thinks that probably the reason for a particular book's success is the concerted efforts of the concentrated propoganda of the "high-class information-society media" and their lackeys. (I'm sorry -- does this sound like a conspiracy theorist's forumlation, or am I just seeing it from a cynical American perspective?)

The first part of the sentence utterly confuses me. It's a way of saying "Rather than being due to the book's subject matter..." ? Can you say "nanika ga nanika wo yobu to iu yorimo" about any noun? I just haven't seen this expression before...

Any help is much appreciated.
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

RE: tasuketekudasaimasenka?

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 10.28.2005 12:11 am

The grammar 何かが何かを呼ぶというよりも
would mean something along the lines of "Rather than calling it X..."

I would say something like "Rather than saying that (the book's popularity) is about the subject matter, it would be better to say that it is an effect of ..."

I'm not entirely sure about how widely you can use that phrase, but I *think* it can be used with any noun, as long as you're contesting some point about it.

I don't see it as a conspiricy theory-ish piece. He's commenting that it is not the content of the book that matters, but rather how well the book is advertised and promoted in an advanced informational society. I'm kind of curious where you got the word lackey from.

Ugh. These are the types of papers that appear on the JLPT. You've reminded me that I have to go study. :p
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby coco » Fri 10.28.2005 1:42 am

InsanityRanch wrote:
話題が話題を呼ぶと言うよりも、高度情報化社会特有のメディアの増幅効果に宣伝やパブリシティーをうまく重ねて、売れる本を更に売ると言う戦略が見事に功を奏したのだろう。

The first part of the sentence utterly confuses me. It's a way of saying "Rather than being due to the book's subject matter..." ? Can you say "nanika ga nanika wo yobu to iu yorimo" about any noun?

「AがAを呼ぶ」+「〜というよりも」を ふたつに 分けて 考えてみましょう。

「呼ぶ」には call 以外にも、「引き寄せる」「集める」 という意味が あります。

(参考)
yahooのオンライン辞書から
[引き寄せる]
・ あのスーパーは客を呼ぶのにあの手この手を使っている
That supermarket is trying every means to draw [attract] customers.

「AがAを呼ぶ」という言い方の例としては
「客が客を呼ぶ」「人が人を呼ぶ」「話題が話題を呼ぶ」「奄ェ奄?トぶ」「金が金を呼ぶ」
などがあり、引き寄せる、招く、集めるの意味になります。

この場合の「呼ぶ」は、「招く」を使って 言い換えることもできます。
「災いが災いを招く」「人が人を招く」「疑惑が疑惑を招く」「奄ェ奄?オく」

ですから、「A」には、すべての名詞に あてはまるのではなく、
「呼び寄せる」「引き寄せる」という事象に かなう 名詞のみ、使うことが できます。
「木が木を呼ぶ」「机が机を呼ぶ」「包丁が包丁を呼ぶ」という使い方は しません。 

「AというよりもBだ」は
「もっと正確にいえば AではなくBだ」という意味です。(or rather になるのかな?)

(参考)
yahooのオンライン辞書から
・ Last night, or rather, early this morning, about five, I woke up.
ゆうべ, というよりは今朝早くなんだが, 5時ごろに目をさました

*「というより」「というより」は、ほぼ同じ意味で使います。

話題が話題を呼ぶと言うよりも、戦略が見事に功を奏したのだろう。

「話題が話題を招いた と言うよりも、戦略が奏効したのだろう」
が 修飾語を取り除いた形です。

要するに「運に任せたのではなく、計算した戦略があったからこそ売れた」と分析しています。

もし、追加質問などがあれば、どうぞ。
『少年H』 は妹尾河童かな。。。B)
Last edited by coco on Fri 10.28.2005 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby InsanityRanch » Fri 10.28.2005 1:26 pm

Harisenbon -- Thanks! The "lackeys" was a bit of a joke I guess -- when I was in college mumblety years ago everyone you wanted to denounce was said to have lackeys. I always pictured them as this army of little gnomes...

cocoさんへー
本当にありがとう。今、「話題が話題を呼ぶ」という阜サは私にはわかります。

はい、以上のやっかいな文章は『少年H』についてーすなわち『少年H』が大嫌いようなー本から来ました。私にとって、すごく怒っている口調みたいので、どういう訳で怒っているかわかろうとしますが。私が全本を読んでみるのは何か月の努力が必要です。ここまで日本語の文書に目を通せないからです。でも少なくてもこの短い抜粋を読めるでしょうね。
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion