Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Confirm a translation?

Confirm a translation?

Do you have a translation question?

Confirm a translation?

Postby Mets » Thu 08.01.2013 1:51 pm

The second sentence here: http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa ... 1364873748

すごく思いすぎているようで、人の善意をも「こんな私にそんな事してもらったら、申し訳ない!」と必死に断り続けます。

I'm fairly sure it means something like, "I think that so much, when people offer to do something for me out of good will, I think "It's inexcusable that they would go out of their way to do something for a person like me", and frantically continue to refuse those favors.

But I like to put sentences into Anki and if it's somewhat off, some part of my Japanese will be "off" for a long time, so I wanted to check.
Mets

Native language: English

Re: Confirm a translation?

Postby richvh » Thu 08.01.2013 3:18 pm

すごく is modifying 思いすぎる. よう indicates an appearance of doing something, so I very much doubt the subject is the narrator.

"Seeming to think it over thoroughly, he also continued to refuse people's good intentions, saying 'You shouldn't do something like that for someone like me'" or something along that line.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Mets » Thu 08.01.2013 5:19 pm

私は、人に迷惑をかけたくないと思っています。 (first sentence)

私は means the subject is the narrator in the first sentence though. There's also a detailed story later in the text, which I don't think one could write about another person, and more 私は at the beginning of sentences... Could he mean that he thinks he looks like he worries about not bothering anyone to other people?

Feels strange to argue when asking for help, but I would use:

"Seemingly thinking it over thoroughly, I continued to refuse people's good intentions, saying 'You shouldn't do something like that for someone like me'.

...which isn't convoluted, unlike my sentence.
Mets

Postby Ongakuka » Thu 08.01.2013 6:17 pm

I can see why Richvhさん translated it as 'he,' but this person does seem to be referring to themselves all the way through.. I'd consider using 'decline' for 断る as 'refuse' sounds a bit strong no?
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Mets » Thu 08.01.2013 6:25 pm

必死に断る - frantically decline. Refuse seems a bit weak, if anything.

Any idea as to why he used "よう"?
Mets

Postby Ongakuka » Fri 08.02.2013 3:53 am

I suppose you're right. I was thinking in terms of politeness rather than strength of inclination (i.e 'refuse' sounds more abrasive than 'decline') because the speaker is refusing for the sake of being polite. But in terms of the English translation 'refuse' works better perhaps.

Like Richvhさん said よう makes it sounds like another person appears to be 思いすぎている ..but I'm going to assume this person means 'it would appear that I am thinking too much'

note that 思い here is the person's care (thought) to not bother their friends, rather than 'thinking too much about this problem'
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Mets » Fri 08.02.2013 12:43 pm

なるほど。

ありがとう ongakukaさん, richvhさん。
Mets

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion