Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Greetings

Greetings

Do you have a translation question?

Greetings

Postby attrusk » Tue 08.06.2013 11:16 pm

Hi,

I studied Japanese about 7-8 years ago and considered myself an intermediate learner, but then I unfortunately let my knowledge of the language slide, mostly because I don't know any japanese people that I can talk to and because of other things in my life. However, I've resolved to continue my studies. Unfortunately I've discovered that I've forgotten a lot, so know I'm probably at the upper beginner level, or something like that. I'll probably pop in here from time to time and ask some questions, so I hope that's alright. =)

I'm actually going to Tokyo this October. It will be my first time in Japan and I'm super excited. =) And that brings me to my first question.
Perhaps this is a little trivial, but I just started wondering about it. How do you greet someone that you most likely will not meet again or have some sort of realtionship with? Like for instance the customs people at the airport or the receptionist at the hotel. Can I still say "Hajimemashite, dozo yoroshiku", or would that be strange? Or perhaps a "konnichi wa" would be best? Or, since my flight arrives around 9.30, "ohayou gozaimasu"?

Hehe, a very trivial question, I know, but if one doesn't ask, one will never know. =)

Thanks in advance,
Johan
attrusk

Native language: Swedish

Re: Greetings

Postby Ongakuka » Wed 08.07.2013 7:43 am

Hello Attrusk, nice to have you on board ^^ I remember how it feels before the first trip to Japan so, well, I'm happy that you are going to have an awesome time.

I don't think your question is trivial at all. Hajimemashite and douzo yoroshiku would be suitable for people that you will meet again or have some kind of (potentially small) relationship with. Also, as I'm sure you know, hajimemashite means the first time (to meet someone) so you can't use it more than once on the same person.

Ohayou gozaimasu and konnichiwa are perfect and much appreciated greetings you can use in almost any situation. I hope that is the answer you were looking for.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Shiroisan » Wed 08.07.2013 11:11 am

attrusk wrote: How do you greet .. the customs people at the airport or the receptionist at the hotel. Can I still say "Hajimemashite, dozo yoroshiku", or would that be strange?
Johan

That would be extremely strange! just say the japanese hello based off time of day

TJPへようこそ
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby attrusk » Fri 08.09.2013 9:35 am

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.
That's more or less what I figured, but just wanted to check since I can't remember that I've ever read or heard about greetings in those situations.
Btw, roughly at what times is it appropriate to switch over from ohayou gozaimasu to konnichiwa and then to konbanwa? One would think that it would be konnichiwa after twelwe o'clock, but I think I remember reading somewhere that it's usually earlier.
attrusk

Native language: Swedish

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion