Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Difficulties with "noun" + はしに + "verb" + -ってるんだ

Difficulties with "noun" + はしに + "verb" + -ってるんだ

Do you have a translation question?

Difficulties with "noun" + はしに + "verb" + -ってるんだ

Postby Guren » Sun 06.15.2014 6:54 pm

Thanks in advance to the people, who will take a look at this. Sorry for the extremely long post :sweatdrop: but I thought it best to provide as much info as possible.

All right. This has been driving me crazy for hours before I decided to post here. I get the gist of it, but there's something I can't put my finger on it, which is preventing me from actually correctly understanding/translating the sentence.

きれでも精一杯はしに寄ってるんだ、文句言うな

Those are the guesses I came up with for a translation:

1. "If this is the best you can do, you'll be approaching death, so don't complain." I though at first the author didn't know the kanji for death, but as I translated what came afterwards, this one seemed unlikely to be correct.

2. "As if getting close is the best you can do, so don't complain."

What is irritating me is that はしに.

Here's the entire conversation including my translation of it if it helps. While the sentence mentioned above is my main problem, if you find any mistakes in my translation, I would be really grateful if you would point them out to me.

「・・・狭い」
 ぼそろとつばゆくとと、暗闇の中からこそこそと返答があった。
「しかたないだろう。これでも精一杯はしに寄ってるんだ、文句言うな」
「俺のほうが大きいから、お前より窮屈なんだよ。もうちょっと詰めろってば」
「だから、これ以上は寄れないっての」

"... it's narrow"
The reply glided from within darkness, subdued and grumbled.
"Guess, it can't be helped. As if getting close it the best you can do, so don't complain."
"Since I'm bigger, I'm more uncomfortable/cramped than you. Squeeze up (?) a bit more."
"Therefore, I can't get closer than this."
Guren

Native language: NA

Re: Difficulties with "noun" + はしに + "verb" + -ってるんだ

Postby Dustin » Mon 06.16.2014 3:36 am

I may not be in the position to correct much of what you translated, but I will give it a look when I have more time, that being said, I was able to find a couple references to that same passage with kanji in place of the はしに for you:

これでも精一杯端に寄ってるんだ、文句言うな

Does that help at all? I may not be in a position to otherwise correct it, but I hope that helps :p
Dustin

Native language: English

Postby Ongakuka » Wed 06.18.2014 6:35 am

Dustin is right. It sounds like they are trying to reach the edge or end of some passage or something.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Guren » Wed 06.18.2014 3:59 pm

Dustin wrote:I may not be in the position to correct much of what you translated, but I will give it a look when I have more time, that being said, I was able to find a couple references to that same passage with kanji in place of the はしに for you:

これでも精一杯端に寄ってるんだ、文句言うな

Does that help at all? I may not be in a position to otherwise correct it, but I hope that helps :p

どうもありがとうございます。

Yes, it helped a lot.
Guren

Postby Guren » Wed 06.18.2014 4:01 pm

Ongakuka wrote:Dustin is right. It sounds like they are trying to reach the edge or end of some passage or something.

Thank you for the input. It helps to know what other people think about it. :)
Guren

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion