Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Need help with tattoo idea

Need help with tattoo idea

Do you have a translation question?

Need help with tattoo idea

Postby miru_san » Mon 08.03.2015 1:51 pm

Hey guys! My friend wanted to make a tattoo that read "Infinite Life". he waneted it short, not much characters, but to look at least somewhat non gaijin-ish, ya know? :P

So me and him were playing around, and I came up with;

無限人生

I passed this across one native via a language exchange app, and they said this phrase sounds unnatural. And that a more natural way would be to say;

終わりの無い人生

My friend though that would be a little too long (it's going on his arm). The native said it's impossible to express that saying with out using hiragana. Anyone know a way to shorten this expression?

I was thinking if the phrase was to be longer, maybe do it like so;

無終
いわ
人り
生の

But it's all up to what my friend wants.

Thanks in advance!(:
miru_san

Native language: 英語

Re: Need help with tattoo idea

Postby richvh » Mon 08.03.2015 2:32 pm

Kanji tattoos are very much a gaijin-ish thing. If your friend wants to go through with it (see http://hanzismatter.blogspot.com/ for why it isn't a great idea), though, perhaps try for a Chinese phrase instead for brevity?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby miru_san » Mon 08.03.2015 4:22 pm

richvh wrote:Kanji tattoos are very much a gaijin-ish thing. If your friend wants to go through with it (see http://hanzismatter.blogspot.com/ for why it isn't a great idea), though, perhaps try for a Chinese phrase instead for brevity?

Oh, I didn't know tattoos like that are gaijin in general. See, that website you showed me is a great example why I'm just trying to help my friend. I know he wants to get something done, I'd rather make it as good as possible, you know? I'm sure he wants it done in Japanese, but I'll mention Chinese just so he knows! :wave:
miru_san

Native language: 英語

Postby alexau » Tue 05.31.2016 7:33 am

better to use phrase with teh same meaning but which is nature for japanese
alexau

Native language: english

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion