Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji in Context check

Kanji in Context check

Do you have a translation question?

Kanji in Context check

Postby Infidel » Sat 10.10.2015 5:29 pm

Hey,

When I was in Dubai I found nirvana at the Kinokuniya bookstore, I also bought Kanji in Context.

So I'm working my way though it. My problem is that I'm not really intermediate but not really a beginner anymore either. There are beginner stuff I don't know and lots of intermediate stuff I already know, so I run into wierd blocks. Anyway, these are my trouble sentences where I'm not comfortable with my translations.

十分に説明したので大丈夫だと思いますが、万一うまくできなかったら、すぐ連絡してください。
It was a good explanation and I expect everything to go smoothly, but if there is something I can't handle please contact me immediately.
Yea, I'm not going for literal but natural translation, but my main problem is the "contact me" how will the other know to contact me? Should I just ignore this as a vagary of an example sentence and move on? I feel like it should say I'll contact you immediately but it doesn't scan.

この仕事は五、六人でやれば一時間でできるでしょう。
With 5 or 6 people we should be able to do this job in one hour.

日本は国はお金持ちだが、人々の生活はそれほどよくないようだ。
Even though Japan is a rich country, the people's livings do not seem to be that rich.

あなたは自分が生まれた日の曜日を知っていますか。
Do you know what day of the week you were born?

昔はスポーツをして汗をかいた後でも水分をとってはいけないと言われていた。
In the past after sweating in sports I would be told, "You shouldn't drink any fluids."
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Re: Kanji in Context check

Postby bunalz3 » Sun 10.11.2015 9:07 am

The first sentence tells us about the speaker's (experienced) note after providing the listener (learner) some explanation, so your translation sounds off a bit. It goes something like this:

Infidel wrote:十分に説明したので大丈夫だと思いますが、
It was a good explanation and I expect everything to go smoothly,

I have explained it in detail so there shouldn't be any problem

万一うまくできなかったら、
but if there is something I can't handle

but in case something went wrong

but my main problem is the "contact me" how will the other know to contact me? Should I just ignore this as a vagary of an example sentence and move on?

Yeah, unless the context explicitly says anything about it, it's fine to just ignore it.
-----

昔はスポーツをして汗をかいた後でも水分をとってはいけないと言われていた。
In the past after sweating in sports I would be told, "You shouldn't drink any fluids."

This is a passive sentence without any specific audience; no quotation marks: In the past, it is said that you should not consume any fluids even after sweating when doing sports.
-----

人々の生活はそれほどよくないようだ。
the people's livings do not seem to be that rich.

I would use the people's standard of living here, and use an appropriate term instead of 'rich'. :)
-----

この仕事は五、六人でやれば一時間でできるでしょう。
With 5 or 6 people, we should be able to do this job in one hour.

This is more of a nuance differences: If we are doing it with 5 or 6 people, the job could be done in an hour. Your translation is correct but it puts emphasis on the presence of the said number of people rather than the job itself. To me, the speaker is more towards complaining than making a neutral remark.

The birthday one is correct. ^_^
bunalz3

Native language: ブルネイ語

Re: Kanji in Context check

Postby Infidel » Mon 10.12.2015 11:35 pm

Sweet, thank you.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion