Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Translation of negative hypothetical + naranai

Translation of negative hypothetical + naranai

Do you have a translation question?

Translation of negative hypothetical + naranai

Postby richvh » Fri 11.11.2005 7:35 am

My penpal sent me a message including this line: 「今日はhospitalに行かなければならない。」 I was able to figure out that "ikanakereba" was the negative hypothetical of "iku", and she explained that "naranai" meant "ought to" or "should", but I'm having a problem figuring out what they mean together.

Edit: Never mind, I found it in Tae Kim's Guide. "Ikanakereba naranai" = "Have to go".
Last edited by richvh on Fri 11.11.2005 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

RE: Translation of negative hypothetical + naranai

Postby InsanityRanch » Fri 11.11.2005 9:52 am

That is the usual way of saying must do something in Japanese. It translates to, I can't NOT do it.
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 11.11.2005 9:21 pm

InsanityRanch is right on the money. However, in more simple english, it translates into "I have to"
So your friend has to go to the hospital.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby roomwithamoose » Mon 11.14.2005 10:26 pm

Yes, this is all correct, if you are interesting in a more detailed explanation here you go:

naranai = negative informal form of naru(to become)

When one combines this with nakereba, it literally means, "if one does not..., won't become." Simply put, this means "if it doesn't happen it won't do." In English we use the word "must" or "have to" to express this. As you may have noticed, one may make it more polite by changing naranai to narimasen. Also, because this is an oftely long conjegation, a very informal thing one may do is replace "~nakereba naranai" with "~nakya". However, I do not live in Japan so I'm unsure how often this is used, this is just from what I've read. ;)
Last edited by roomwithamoose on Mon 11.14.2005 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roomwithamoose

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion