Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Squares! help!

Squares! help!

Do you have a translation question?

Squares! help!

Postby Hatori » Mon 11.14.2005 9:42 pm

hey tehre! i've been trying to find how to get those little nasty squares off of my screen and see the actually figures of the japanese writing! can somebody help? :) if you do, ARIGATOO!
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

RE: Squares! help!

Postby Yurei-chan » Mon 11.14.2005 9:48 pm

If that happens, it could mean different things depending on the 'square.'
Are you able to veiw/hear them? Nope? Maybe you need the correct program, or your computer's simply getting revenge ;D
Watashi wa ito tabesaserareru!
Kyou no wa chikai.
Taiki Yurei-chan!
Yurei-chan

Postby mandolin » Mon 11.14.2005 10:16 pm

I know what she means... the rectangle boxes you get when your computer can't read a font.

If you're using Internet Explorer:

From the menu bar, click View -> Encoding -> more -> Japanese (auto select or shift-JIS)

THEN click View -> Encoding -> auto select

You will get a checkmark by 'autoselect' after that (check to make sure it's there)

This will let your browser read japanese, and will select the language when appropriate, so you don't have to worry about it yourself. It will NOT, however, let you TYPE the characters. You need to install the IME for that (or use a standalone IME). There's an FAQ on this site for the IME installation.

If you're using Firefox/Mozilla... I have no idea how to help. Sorry!
mandolin

Postby Hatori » Mon 11.14.2005 10:52 pm

wOoOoO. does anybody know wher ei can download the thing so i can type too without paying any money? or jsut a link to read the characters allf o the time?
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby mandolin » Mon 11.14.2005 11:02 pm

... I explained how to make it so you can read the characters all the time... but you still haven't said what browser you're using.

For windows IME, it's free, you just have to get it from the Windows website, and learn how to turn on the language bar on your computer so you can type kana/kanji.

If you look in the FAQ's here on The Japanese Page, you'll find it... show some initiative to help yourself when pointed in the right direction. Heh.
mandolin

Postby Hatori » Mon 11.14.2005 11:09 pm

well, i use AIM, WMConnect, and that internet browser thing that you said it'd work for, but that's the suckiest thing for me to use right now. lol, but it worked on the internet browser thing, but i want to see it on my AIM internet browser thigny.
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby mandolin » Tue 11.15.2005 4:19 am

AIM doesn't support Japanese. Not sure about AOL in general.... you'd have to try and look up AOL-specific helps
mandolin

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion