Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Name Pronunciation

Name Pronunciation

Do you have a translation question?

Name Pronunciation

Postby CepsPrin » Thu 12.08.2005 8:20 pm

Hi, i saw a page about writing names using Hiragana or Katakana and i my names which is Carlos was something like ka-rosu (かあろす) btw, why ka + a and not only the ka?; i was wondering how can i write using hiragana the name Norcy, i was thinking something like のろ and what now? the "cy" should sound like "see", thx for the help; just arrive here today (such a newbie) and i need help xD
CepsPrin

RE: Name Pronunciation

Postby mandolin » Thu 12.08.2005 8:34 pm

You spell foreign names in japanese with katakana, instead of hiragana.

I think Carlos would be カーロス
And Norcy ノルシー norushi

not exactly "see" but japanese doesn't really have that pronounciation.

The 'dash' in katakana elongates a vowel to simulate foreign syllable lengths. The 'a' in Carlos is held longer than a japanese 'a' is usually held.

There are studies on how the japanese ear is more sensitive to sound length than other language-speakers' ears, but I don't have any links off hand.
mandolin

Postby richvh » Thu 12.08.2005 8:48 pm

Most "ar" phonemes in foreign names became "aa" in kana, for instance my given name, Richard, becomes リチャード
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby CepsPrin » Fri 12.09.2005 5:59 am

Arigatou :D
CepsPrin

Postby natemb » Fri 12.09.2005 7:56 am

Yes, "ar" generally becomes "aa" (アー) in katakana for English words, which makes sense when you think of the British pronunciation. The "or" sound in Norcy is more difficult. "Or" at the end of a word is usually written オア (oa) as in door: ドア. But in the middle of a word it can be オー (ō, the long o sound) as in Lord of the Rings (ロード・オブ・ザ・リング). So I think that if you use an English language pronunciation, Carlos would be カーロス and Norcy would be ノーシー (nōshī).

But if you pronounce your name the Spanish way, there are different rules for writing Spanish words in katakana, and I think your name would be written like this in Spanish: カルロス (karurosu), and Norcy would be ノルシー, as Mandolin said. I guess you can take your pick、depending on your background and/or taste.
Last edited by natemb on Fri 12.09.2005 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
natemb

Postby CepsPrin » Fri 12.09.2005 1:31 pm

カルロス sounds good to me. Thx for your reply.
CepsPrin

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion