Postby Kates » Mon 12.19.2005 2:31 pm

And so, cheer up
Because I want to see your smiling face
That's my wish
Kates

RE: Genki wo dashite is?

Postby C0kaCoLa » Tue 12.20.2005 3:04 am

How do i understand that sentence??
I know dakara is therefore but i look up the word nee and it means it is so..dashite i get something about money..

warau i didnt find it in the dictionary and kao is face
mitai=resembling,some sort of,like

other words i understand..
C0kaCoLa

Postby C0kaCoLa » Tue 12.20.2005 3:04 am

I know dakara is therefore but i look up the word nee and it means it is so..dashite i get something about money..

warau i get smiling and kao is face
mitai=resembling,some sort of,like

other words i understand..
C0kaCoLa

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 12.20.2005 4:54 am

C0kaCoLa wrote:

It takes time and practice. You can't be expected to know everything at once

C0kaCoLa wrote:
dashite i get something about money..

dashite is the command form of to put forth, or to put out. dasu is the plain form. 出す
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby skrhgh3b » Wed 12.21.2005 6:27 pm

What a cute little sentence. Sounds like something out of a drama. I'll take pity on you and try to break down the sentence piece by piece for you. Hopefully that will help you wrap your brain around it.

だからねぇ、元気を出して
あなたの笑う顔見たいから
私のお願い

first of all, understand that this is in casual japanese, and very probably feminine.

"dakara" is a conjunction in japanese that expresses reason. it's a combination of the copula verb "da" and the particle "kara" (which in itself expresses reason). "Nee" is a particle that adds emotional emphasis to the statement (it casually seeks confirmation, if only rhetorically). So you can see how "Dakara nee" becomes a phrase to lead into what follows and how Kates-san arrived at the translation, "And so...."
"Genki wo dashite" is an idiom that means "cheer up." "Genki" by itself refers to energy or vitality, and as harisenbon-san explained, "dasu" is a (transitive) verb that means "to put forth," and "dashite" is the command form. So, hopefully you can begin to see where the meaning of this idiom comes from.
"Anata no warau kao" means, "your smiling face." "Anata" is a familiar pronoun for "you," "no" is the possesive particle, and "warau" means "to smile." So now we have the phrase "your smiling," which modifies the noun "face," so we come to the meaning, "your smiling face." Japanese is a "left-branching" language, which means modifiers come before the head noun.
"Mitai" comes from the verb "miru," "to see." The auxilary "tai" transforms a verb into an expression of desire, so we now have "want to see." "Kara," like I mentioned before, expresses reason in this context. Now the sentence "Anata no warau kao (wo) mitai kara" becomes "Because I want to see your smiling face" in English.
"Onegai" refers to a favor or a request, so by now, hopefully you can see how "Watashi no onegai" becomes "My wish."
Maybe this is all far too much for you, but it's simple Japanese, and after a year's worth of diligent study, you'll begin understand Japanese like this with little problem, so stick in there.
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby kuroi » Tue 12.27.2005 2:26 pm

i reconise those sentances, sounds like from the song ''SMILY'' by Ai Otsuka..

also, skrhgh3b, your explanation of that helped me in some cases.. ^^
「諦めない」−浜崎あゆみ
kuroi

Postby mr_pain » Tue 12.27.2005 3:34 pm

skrhgh3b, would you consider making a regular series of posts like this? :)

Seriously I learned so much in your post that if I know of a book that broke down popular idoms/expressions like this Id rush out to buy it (well actually my fingers would hit Amazon)
mr_pain

Postby Mariya » Tue 12.27.2005 5:59 pm

I agree mr_pain...how much should I pay you, skrhgh3b, to be my tutor or to give me prep talks every now and then? :p
Mariya

Postby skrhgh3b » Tue 12.27.2005 8:31 pm

for a good book on idioms, i'd recommend kodansha's dictionary of japanese idioms. also, mangajin's basic japanese books dissect japanese grammar in a smiliar way. but what i did isn't really a japanese lesson. it's better to build a foundation of essential grammar that allows you to understand for yourself.
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion