Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Question

Question

Do you have a translation question?

Question

Postby lucky419 » Mon 12.19.2005 5:10 pm

Ok, I'm pretty new to Japanese so take pity on me :). Recently I saw a link to a Japanese page with, apparently, children's stories from Japan written mainly in Hiragana with a few Kanji thrown in. This looked to be a great place for me to practice reading Japanese. But my problem is there are some parts that have me completely stumped. Hopefully someone can shed some light on a few sentences for me. ...を遠ると、ばさばさと大きな音がしました。 Hopefully somebody can point out exactly what this thing says. I have some sort of idea but not enough to make complete sense of this.  
lucky419

RE: Question

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 12.19.2005 9:49 pm

are you sure that first kanji is correct? It's the kanji for far 遠い, but is put into a verb form that I don't recognize. I couldn't find it in my dictionary either. I think it might be a typo of 通る, to pass, which would make more sense.

To make a complete sentence, I need the subjects and direct objects, but here's what you have written. Guesses at what the rest of the sentence is are in brackets.

When [something] passed through the [something], there was a rustling sound.

Does that fit?
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby lucky419 » Mon 12.19.2005 11:15 pm

Yea, sorry guess I should have put the whole sentence in there but actually you did help and you hit the nail on the head, I knew it was something about rustling but couldn't figure the rest out. You are correct about 遠る typo I did mean 通る. Thanks for your help! :D
lucky419

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 12.20.2005 1:23 am

How did you get it to come out 遠る anyhow? It doesn't show up in the standard IME. *grin*
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby lucky419 » Tue 12.20.2005 11:09 am

Wow, that is a good question. I just spent a few mins. trying to get that kanji again and I can't do it! :o I just can't seem to get it to come up again. So as to your question your guess is as good as mine. :D
lucky419

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion