Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - I need help translating this music sheet.

I need help translating this music sheet.

Do you have a translation question?

I need help translating this music sheet.

Postby Ryudo » Mon 12.19.2005 8:35 pm

I'm just starting to learn Japanese and I found this website about 20 minutes ago. Anyway here is the music sheet. I have been trying to translate this for at least a week now with no luck.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ ... Angel1.gif

It would help a lot if anybody can translate it.
Life. Life must be honored. It alone burns brighter than a thousand suns through this eternal night. It alone is our hope.

\"Vengeance is in my heart, death in my hand, blood and revenge are
hammering in my head.\" - William Shakespeare
Ryudo

RE: I need help translating this music sheet.

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 12.19.2005 10:14 pm

The scan is kind of blurry, so I can't make out some of the complicated kanji. I'll give my best aproximation in brackets.

Playing Note: Finally, it is the [moment] in which you can finally defeat the gigantic Sephiroth. Your true enemy has appeared. This is the [glorious] battle that Cloud and his friends have been striving towards. The battle for the fate of [no idea...] is now beginning. When you hear this original music, and can hold on to that feeling, you should start playing this piece. It should be played in a grandious style.

I made some changes for english readability. Once you have the general idea, I think it should be easy to go back and see how all the words fit together into the whole.

Good luck!
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Justin » Mon 12.19.2005 10:57 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
The battle for the fate of [no idea...]

Almost looks like it could maybe be 翼の運命, hard to tell for sure though.
Justin

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 12.20.2005 1:17 am

I thought about that too, but fate of wings just sounded too weird. It seems like it has the 冠 of 覚... I don't know...

I'm also curious about in the first sentence もつの??

Can we get a better scan?
Harisenbon

Postby Ryudo » Tue 12.20.2005 3:46 am

http://www.fantasysquare.com/music/index.shtml

That site has all the pieces of the song. Click FF VII under the banner that says Fantasy Square Music Vault, then click Disk 4, then click the Z thing next to One Winged Angel. I dunno if that will help but it is a better looking picture.

Thanks a lot for the translation...Now that I pretty much know what it says I don't need to know much more really. My piano teacher just wanted to know if it was something about playing it. It's sad that a 17 year old (me) is JUST learning how to play. ^^; I have to say though...I am curious to know what the whole thing says...

Anyway just a little off topic...since I'm also starting to learn Japanese, where exactly do I start? I have no freakin clue to what I should learn first. >.>;
Life. Life must be honored. It alone burns brighter than a thousand suns through this eternal night. It alone is our hope.

Ryudo

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 12.20.2005 5:03 am

Start with hiragana, go to katakana, and just go from there. Check out the lessons sections and the FAQ sections of this site. There are a lot of good resources.

Those files aren't any better for the reading, unfortuantely. :(
I did get the first one: 間 -- while
Ahh, the second one is 最後 -- final
The third one, I still have no idea. My wife suggested 蛍, but that makes no sense either. :/
Harisenbon

Postby Ryudo » Tue 12.20.2005 3:24 pm

Alright I will check that out. Today my brother's wife told me that the college she goes to, teaches Japanese language lessons for anybody. But she also said it's usually only for people going to places for vacation so they know what the people are saying.

Sorry it wasn't any better. Thanks a lot for the translation though. Now that I pretty much know what it's saying, I can tell my teacher and maybe in a year or so I can actually play it. :D *throws candy at Harisenbon and Justin*

Ryudo

Postby Ongakuka » Tue 12.20.2005 3:57 pm

What is so shameful about learning to play at 17? Anyway, being a HUGE FFVII fan I would be willing to bet anything that the part Harisenbon could not read says something like "the planet." Anyone who has finished FFVII can back me up here.:p
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Ryudo » Tue 12.20.2005 4:52 pm

Yeah I kinda figured that out myself. Pretty obvious after beating FFVII 23652986 times in the past years.

Only reason why I said that it's sad is because the other students are around the ages 6-15. ^^;;; I just can't wait to play One Winged Angel (the song on the music sheet) on the piano.

Ryudo

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 12.20.2005 8:19 pm

Ongakuka wrote:
What is so shameful about learning to play at 17? Anyway, being a HUGE FFVII fan I would be willing to bet anything that the part Harisenbon could not read says something like "the planet." Anyone who has finished FFVII can back me up here.:p

I've played the game too.
And I bet you that the kanji that I can't read is definately not planet. ;)
Earth -- 地球
Planet -- 惑星
Star -- 星

The Kanji there is much more complex, and has something that looks like 米 going on at the bottom. I might head out to book off and see if they have a copy of the score I can pick up and check out what that kanji is. It's gonna bug me for a while. :(
Harisenbon

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion