Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Thank you letter

Thank you letter

Do you have a translation question?

Thank you letter

Postby wingwing918 » Sat 01.07.2006 2:19 pm

Hello ppl,

Can someone please help me write a Thank You letter to my upcoming employer in Japan? I recently got employed as an intern by a company in Japan, and will be travelling to Japan in May. So to express my appreciation for the opportunity, I want to write a Thank You letter in Japanese.

Can someone help?

Specifically, can someone translate the following to Japanese?

Dear Employer,

I would like to express my sincere appreciation for the opportunity to be able to work for your company in the near future. It has been my dream to work in Japan, and I am very grateful your company is giving me a chance to fulfill this dream. I hope we will have a pleasant, enjoyable experience working together.

Looking forward to seeing you and your fellow colleagues.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Vincent
===============

Please feel free to do some edits and suggestions. Thanks in advance for the help.

Vincent
wingwing918

RE: Thank you letter

Postby coco » Mon 01.09.2006 5:43 am

Congratulations!
就職が 決まって よかった ですね。:)

手紙を 日本語で 書くのは よいこと だと 思いますが
誰かに 手紙を 訳して もらう よりも
ご自分の 日本語迫ヘの 範囲 で 手紙を 書いた 方が よいと 思います。

なぜなら すぐに 社長は 誰かに 訳して もらった ことに 気づく だろうと
思う から です。
Because your employer will soon notice that you asked to translate your letter.

たとえ 英語でも お礼の手紙を書けば、社長は助ェ 満足して くれるでしょう。

If you'd like to add some Japanese phrase, this sentence might be OK..
みなさんと いっしょに 日本で 働ける ことを 楽しみに しています。
-----
楽しく仕事ができるといいですね。;)
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 01.09.2006 6:12 am

I changed it around a little, but I hope that what I wrote conveys what you want to say. The working with other people line is not often said in Japanese, but I consulted with my wife, and found something that worked.

(Guys Last Name) (SPACE) (Guy's First name) SPACE 様

(one space)貴社で働く機会を下さって、誠にありがとう御座いました。日本で働く事は長い間希望しておりましたので大変嬉しく思います。出来るだけ職場の方々と和を図りながら、貴社の為に全力を尽したいと思っております。これからよろしくお願いいたします。

(Your Last Name) ・ウィンセント より

And in (so-so) English

Thank you very much for allowing me this chance to work for your company. Because I have been hoping to work in Japan for a long time, I am truly happy (for this chance that you have given me). I will do my best to give it my all for your company, while fitting in with my other co-workers. I look foward to working with you soon.

From Vincent XX

EDIT, I also agree with what coco said, but at least putting in some bit about having the letter translated for the company would be a good idea, I think.
Last edited by Harisenbon on Mon 01.09.2006 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby wingwing918 » Mon 01.09.2006 5:13 pm

hey ppl, thanks so much for the help! I have included both the English and Japanese versions of the paragraph in the letter, and have indicated that my friend helped me in the translation. The reason for including the Japanese version is for showing the company my enthusiasm and passion in the Japanese culture and language.

Thanks coco and Harisenbon. But what exactly is coco saying? With my limited Japanese understanding, I can kinda interpret as it's a good idea writing in Japanese, but if my knowledge of Japanese is not proficient enough to write a letter like this one, then it's a bad idea as the company will eventually realize my Japanese level is not that good?

It's really nice to learn Japanese at the same time. So thanks again coco and Harisenbon.

Vincent
wingwing918

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 01.09.2006 9:31 pm

What coco said

It's great that you've found a job.

I think that it's good that you want to write the letter in Japanese, but I thnk that it would be better if you showed your Japanese ability by writing it yourself, rather than asking someone else to translate it for you.

Because your employer will soon notice that you asked to translate your letter.

Even if you wrote your thank you letter in English< i think that the company president would be competely satisfied.

If you'd like to add some Japanese phrase, this sentence might be OK..
みなさんと いっしょに 日本で 働ける ことを 楽しみに しています。

I am looking forward to working with everyone in Japan.
Harisenbon

Postby coco » Tue 01.10.2006 2:17 am

針千本さん。
お手数をおかけしました。どうもありがとうございます。
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 01.10.2006 2:54 am

いいえ,とんでもないことです。
Harisenbon

Postby spank » Tue 01.10.2006 4:17 am

針千本, did you make this name up yourself, or was it bestowed upon you by a sensei?
what does it mean?
"sewing a thousand books"?

スパンク
Last edited by spank on Tue 01.10.2006 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
spank

Postby spank » Tue 01.10.2006 4:30 am

hahah, he probably had his reasons for choosing his name. just like i have reasons for choosing my name: "spank". the details of which i will have to reserve for another adult-oriented forum.

peace.
spank

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 01.10.2006 7:53 am

Actually, Harisenbon means 1000 needles, and it is most commonly known in a children's rhyme for making promises (like stick a needle in my eye in english)

I had never heard the porcupine fish one before. I only knew it from the children's rhyme. ;) You learn something new every day.
Harisenbon

Postby spank » Tue 01.10.2006 9:39 am

chandrayee_purple-love wrote:
What you laughing at me ? Spank means to spank ..that is it and it is offensive to the people except you yourself, I hope..and it is against the rules of the Universe called "The Japanese Page.Com"...would you please note?

I wonder "What is in a name"!!

A man named Shakespeare once said, "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." - or something to this effect. I hope the name 'spank' hasn't actually offended anyone, least of all, you chandrayee. By the way, do you believe in corporal punishiment?:p
spank

Postby spank » Tue 01.10.2006 11:57 am

Well, I dont' think he's my friend, since in high school he became my enemy when our teacher's forced us to recite his plays. I couldn't understand his advanced english and it made me cry in class several times. Eventhough, he is considered a genius, I am glad he is dead and his old-school english should go to the grave with him. Just kidding guys!!

By the way, you have a strange way of thinking.B)

Open question: Does Japan have a Shakespearean equivalent? Somone who was a playright, and forced many students to read his works?
Last edited by spank on Tue 01.10.2006 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
spank

Postby AJBryant » Tue 01.10.2006 1:25 pm

Does Japan have a Shakespearean equivalent? Somone who was a playright, and forced many students to read his works?

Yes and no. You have to remember that Japanese theatre had VERY different traditions than European. Things were very stylized and ritualized. Kabuki, Bunraku, and Noh are nothing like conventional theatre except for "actors" and "stages."

That being said, the playwright Chikamatsu is often called "the Shakespeare of Japan" (except not in Japan, where it wouldn't occur to them to create such a title. ;) ). Certainly elements from famous plays are *very* well known, however. Much as everyone in the English-speaking world thinks "Hamlet!" with the phrase "To be or not to be", everyone in Japan knows about Atsumori and about the 47 ronin and... yada yada yada.

Not having done high school in Japan, I can't speak to the curriculum. ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby spank » Tue 01.10.2006 2:53 pm

Hey Tony, that's interesting. Thanks for the intell.
spank

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion