Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Some corrections and maybe a translation

Some corrections and maybe a translation

Do you have a translation question?

Some corrections and maybe a translation

Postby fragulistic » Fri 01.13.2006 12:57 am

This is my first post and I need some help and want to make sure I'm reading this correctly.

Actual sentence #1: 灼熱の太陽と砂漠の地エジプトー
hirigana #1: しゃくねつのたいようとさばくのちエジプトー
   My translation #1: Egypt world of desert and hot (?) sun-
My question #1: I'm not exactly sue what shakunetsu is I know the root kanji is temperature or fever, so I jus tkind of guessed that it was describing the sun's temperature as hot (being this is egypt). Also I was wondering if I had the sentence in the right order, and that is is expalining something totally different than I have.

Actual sentence #2: 三千年もの昔君はたしかにこの地で生きていた。
      Hirigana #2: さんぜんねんものむかしきみはたしかにこのちでいきていた。
My Translation #2: Three thousand years ago, I lived in this world if I remember correctly.
My question :2: Mostly I woud like to know if I'm translating this right if there is a more correct way of putting the words in better order, (mukashi is left out or seems to be.) Also I was wondering about the ending verb is it "lived in"? Anyhow thank you for the help in advance I have more to ask but this should do for now.

Thank you , God bless
fragulistic

RE: Some corrections and maybe a translation

Postby amego » Fri 01.13.2006 4:43 am

well im an amateur but would like to try and help you...灼熱 means scorching...and my translation is "The scorching sun and the desert area of Egypt. "

for #2, 昔 means long time ago, such as 昔々, a long long time ago...its usage is somewhat self-standing, and when you need to say how many years ago, you can use 前に, so it becomes 三千年前に...also, 君 is you, not I, you can use 私...生きていた is more of born than lived, you can use 住んでいた, meaning lived...so,

"三千年前に、私は確かにこの地で住んでいた。"
"3000 years ago, i'm certain that i had lived in this place (before)."

please correct me if theres anything wrong =p

一緒に日本語を勉強しましょう!

amego

Postby natemb » Fri 01.13.2006 5:19 am

I'm far from an expert, but 君 is "you", like Amego said, so my attempt at a translation for number two would be: Three thousand years ago, you were definitely living on this earth.

The verb ending you asked about (-ていた) is the informal past progressive (in other words, "was/were X-ing").

An incredibly useful tool for translating: rikai.com. Or for Firefox users, the rikaichan plugin. The latter will blow your mind (maybe).
natemb

Postby AJBryant » Fri 01.13.2006 11:49 am

I'm far from an expert, but 君 is "you", like Amego said, so my attempt at a translation for number two would be: Three thousand years ago, you were definitely living on this earth.

Not "on this earth." "In this land."

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby fragulistic » Fri 01.13.2006 2:45 pm

Thank you all very much for the corrections :) I probably should have picked up that 君 was you not I.  
ありがとうございます
fragulistic

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion