Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - "otanoshimi ni" no henji?

"otanoshimi ni" no henji?

Do you have a translation question?

"otanoshimi ni" no henji?

Postby magma » Thu 01.19.2006 1:44 pm

Today I received an invitation to a lunch that ended with otanoshimi ni (which I think means something like, "please look forward to it."). Although I am indeed looking forward to it, I don't know what (if anything) I should say in response. Is there a standard reply to otanoshimi ni? If not, what are some ways to express "I'm looking forward to it," or "it sounds like fun," or "I can't wait"?
magma

Native language: 米語

RE: "otanoshimi ni" no henji?

Postby Kamaruka » Thu 01.19.2006 6:31 pm

dunno ask clay, send him a message;)
Youkai Tajiya
Kamaruka

Postby natemb » Thu 01.19.2006 9:26 pm

If you get an answer over PM or something, please post it here anyway, because I would like to know too! I usually just say "hai" and smile and duck my head, but it would be great to hear a better response, especially because you can't gesture in writing or on the phone.

I'll take a crack at translating your sentences in the meantime (someone please correct my mistakes or give a better explanation) :

I'm looking forward to it. ==> (____を) 楽しみにしています。
(____ wo) tanoshimi ni shiteimasu.

It sounds like fun. ==> 楽しそうです。
tanoshisou desu.

I can't wait. ==> I would translate this the same as "I'm looking forward to it." I'm pretty sure a literal translation wouldn't work.

Note: although in English we never say "please look forward to it", otanoshimi ni is quite common in Japan. For anime fans, I think it's common to hear this phrase at the end of an episode when they give you a little preview of the next one.
natemb

Postby magma » Fri 01.20.2006 4:18 pm

pm'd clay.

clayさんの返事を楽しみにしています。
magma

Postby Kamaruka » Fri 01.20.2006 4:37 pm

yea natemb is right;) all it means is just have and u dont really say anything but if u want you can OK or wakata;) thanks for someone who told me that:D
Youkai Tajiya
Kamaruka

Postby Kamaruka » Fri 01.20.2006 4:41 pm

i thought otanoshimi ni means see u next time, oh well what u said does sound right;) thanks:D
Youkai Tajiya
Kamaruka

Postby clay » Sun 01.22.2006 8:48 am

Hi,

The O in front of お楽しみに is used when saying to someone else "look forward to something", so you can answer by saying something like, 「はい、楽しみにしています。 - hai, tanoshimi ni shiteimasu. - I'm looking forward to it (it will be fun)」 or 「待ち遠しいです - machi dooshii desu - I can't wait」

Clay
clay
Site Admin

Postby magma » Mon 01.23.2006 6:25 pm

I'm gonna get a lot of mileage out of「待ち遠しいです」. I've been waiting years to learn that! At last, no more having to say machi koto ga dekimasen and receive confused looks.
Thank you!
magma

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion