Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Tsubasa

Tsubasa

Do you have a translation question?

RE: Tsubasa

Postby clay » Mon 01.23.2006 1:36 am

Do you have any webspace where you can stick it up and then link to it?
clay
Site Admin

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 01.23.2006 2:43 am

could the katakana be 「シャオラン」? if so, it may be a name: http://www2.ocn.ne.jp/~shaoran/whos.html

update:

it's シャオラン, here's the site for the anime version of ツバサ.
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/anime/tsubasa/character.html

just a personal name.
Last edited by zengargoyle on Mon 01.23.2006 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
zengargoyle

Postby clay » Mon 01.23.2006 2:56 am

The kanji is 小狼 (small wolf), but I think zengargoyle is right. Sometimes kanji is used for the meaning but different pronunciations are used in the furigana. Usually this is an English word with a kanji to explain the meaning.

I can't read the katakana, though.
clay
Site Admin

Postby natemb » Mon 01.23.2006 3:20 am

I was told by that シャオラン (which is indeed the name of the main character in Tsubasa Chronicle) means small wolf in Chinese. Thus the kanji for small wolf and the furigana that are A) not Japanese and B) in katakana

I can see why this was very confusing, but it is actually done quite frequently in manga, as Clay mentioned. In general, if you see furigana (the reading for a kanji) written in katakana, they are giving you a pronunciation from another language (usually English, but not this time). The word "Dragon Ball" in the DB manga is actually written in kanji with the katakana, ドラゴン・ボール beside it as furigana. Thus, the kanji give you meaning, but the furigana give you the pronunciation.

This sort of thing can also be done with names. If one character is talking about another, you may see the name written in kanji but the furigana only says かれ - "he". e.g:
Furigana: かれ       "He" (is stupid)
.....Kanji: 一郎は バカ "Ichiro is stupid."

This means, I believe, that the actual word spoken in the dialouge was "he", but the kanji for "Ichiro" are given in case the reader is confused as to who they're talking about.

(edited in light of Clay's post and Zengargoyle's edit)
Last edited by natemb on Mon 01.23.2006 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
natemb

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion