Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Lost in translation

Lost in translation

Do you have a translation question?

Lost in translation

Postby Volguuz » Mon 01.23.2006 6:08 pm

hi guys, am new here and would like a small tanslation if at all possible....

How does it write Heavenly Wild Flame in japanese?

I know that heaven is ten as for flame i have no idiea i know only that to burn is moero.
If possible in our western characters plz. THX :D
Let us awaken our true inheritage and become Guardians Of the Halls of Amenti.
Volguuz

RE: Lost in translation

Postby mandolin » Mon 01.23.2006 6:47 pm

Nn... does it have to be "wild flame"? If you're looking to cojure up something along the lines of a fire that would be difficult to contain, I think 火災(かさい)(kasai) seems apprpriate. It means conflagration/fire, and the kanji for it seems especially forbodeing as they are the kanji for "flame" and "calamity".

If that's not what you're going for, maybe you could explain more of your intent with the name so that something more appropriate can be selected.

The fun thing about kanji is that it can paint vivid pictures in one's mind depending on what sort of mood you want to set.

Anyway, my vote is on
天来火災
てんらいかさい
tenraikasai
heavenly conflagration
mandolin

Postby magma » Mon 01.23.2006 6:51 pm

Using http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C, I cooked this up:

天の野性の炎
ten no yasei no honou

Literally, "heaven's flame of the wild" (I think).

Perhaps you can drop the nos:

天野性炎
ten'yaseihonou

But you might need furigana to keep people from reading the first two Kanji as "Amano" or "Tenno".

Edit: Personally, I'd go with Mandolin's; it sounds way cooler.
Last edited by magma on Mon 01.23.2006 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magma

Native language: 米語

Postby Volguuz » Mon 01.23.2006 6:57 pm

wow neat explanation thx, but if you are a anime fan and seen bleach theres an episode in which ishida figths captain Mayuri and he uses a techinque called Heavenly wild Suit Puppet ... theres another episode where captain Shunsui refers a poem "Hanakaze midarete kashin naki, temppu midarete tenma warau" and the second part after the coma they translated "The heavenly Demon LAughs" if i am remembering correctly.

All i want is the 3 words that make Heavenly wild flame as in the flame is something wild and heavenly cant be more exact .. the sentence is supposed to be intrepreted according to ones point of view:D
Volguuz

Postby Volguuz » Mon 01.23.2006 7:01 pm

hmmmm, imagine a sword emanating a brigth blue flame moving as a loose flame does.... i understand that the ideograms have multiple meanings and they way you conjuct them gives diferent meanings...
Last edited by Volguuz on Mon 01.23.2006 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volguuz

Postby mandolin » Mon 01.23.2006 9:17 pm

Well, you'll have to realize that fansubbers tend to translate the way things should be translated, and that's by meaning, not word-by-word. While they may have made the translation "heavenly wild suit puppet" it doesn't mean that was word-for-word. It could have been, or the fansubbers might have been trying to make it sound cool.

Unfortunately, I think you're a victim that so many are of the belief that language is merely a replacement of words. I can't think of any word in japanese that means "wild" in the way you'd like it to. A sword engulfed in / emanating a blue flame doesn't strike me as "violent" or "uncultured" or "uneducated".

Perhaps "extravagant and rampant", but I don't think the japanese word sounds nearly as neat. Wild (as in extravagant/rampant) = honpou

I still think tenraikasai sounds neat, and would be rather cool whispered/growled in a determined voice, or shouted in the middle of combat.

*shrug*
mandolin

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 01.24.2006 3:05 am

火災 is more like fire as in "fire drill" or "house fire"
The descriptive form of fire usually used in manga is
炎 ほのお (音読み: エン)

I always hate trying to make techinique names in Japanese, because if you're not a native speaker, it's incredibly hard to get right. There's just a flavor about them that does seem to follow any rules (that I'm aware)

what about 神舞炎? Heaven's dancing flame
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Volguuz » Tue 01.24.2006 4:18 pm

mandolin wrote:
Well, you'll have to realize that fansubbers tend to translate the way things should be translated, and that's by meaning, not word-by-word. While they may have made the translation "heavenly wild suit puppet" it doesn't mean that was word-for-word. It could have been, or the fansubbers might have been trying to make it sound cool.

Unfortunately, I think you're a victim that so many are of the belief that language is merely a replacement of words. I can't think of any word in japanese that means "wild" in the way you'd like it to. A sword engulfed in / emanating a blue flame doesn't strike me as "violent" or "uncultured" or "uneducated".

Perhaps "extravagant and rampant", but I don't think the japanese word sounds nearly as neat. Wild (as in extravagant/rampant) = honpou

I still think tenraikasai sounds neat, and would be rather cool whispered/growled in a determined voice, or shouted in the middle of combat.

*shrug*

well that explained alot and damn .. japanese seems so hard anw as for wild i meant as in unpredictable and yes extravagant/rampant and since that after saying that it's hard to find a meaning wow it only increases my respect by theyre culture.
Thx alot for your help mate:D
Volguuz

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion