Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hirigana Troubles

Hirigana Troubles

Do you have a translation question?

Hirigana Troubles

Postby JoSh-ExE » Wed 01.25.2006 2:44 am

Helo all, im new here and i was just wondering...if i learn the whole hirigana alphebet and memorize its meanings (e.c.t し = shi)... what do i do then? do i have to learn romanji to understand what i read?

:)JoSh:)
I have a bad education....I attend a school for emotionally disturbed teachers
JoSh-ExE

RE: Hirigana Troubles

Postby mandolin » Wed 01.25.2006 4:00 am

Romaji is roman letters. If you mean kanji, well, yes, eventually you do have to learn it. Though, I'd recommend tackling katakana after hiragana. It's easier than kanji. :)

After that, you might want to get a textbook to help guide your studies. A good textbook will use as little romaji as possible (In my opinion) and will gradually introduce you to more and more kanji.

Many people like the Genki series textbooks, which are available here at thejapanshop.com.
mandolin

Postby SaigoNoBan » Wed 01.25.2006 4:05 am

Hello Josh, and welcome! Thank you for joining us in this marvellous adventure of Japanese studying!;)

Hiragana don't actually have "meanings", they stand for a sound. You combine hiragana to write down words. General advice (which I agree with 100%) is to avoid romaji as much as possible. I'd suggest yo do what I'm doing right now, (;)) that is, to keep a vocabulary journal with the spelling of Japanese words in hiragana, possibly the kanji (you will learn these later, don't worry) and its english MEANING. NOT the transcription into western characters (aka romaji).
Example:

しらせ (知らせ) = Notification, information, news
わたし (私) = I
きぶん (気分) = Feelings
たべる (食べる) = To eat

With a few weeks of exercise, it will be no problem to read out loud the kana directly. This way, it will be much more natural to stock up vocabulary items, read Japanese text, practice grammar, and start kanji.

Happy studying,
Saigo
とうとう戻ってきました!^_^ お待たせしました
SaigoNoBan

Postby JoSh-ExE » Wed 01.25.2006 6:28 am

thx for the great advise ;) (time to get started now i guess)

:)JoSh:)
I have a bad education....I attend a school for emotionally disturbed teachers
JoSh-ExE

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion