View topic - How do you know the meaning of Japanese abbreviations? (like

How do you know the meaning of Japanese abbreviations? (like

Do you have a translation question?

How do you know the meaning of Japanese abbreviations? (like

Postby lgmcben » Sat 01.28.2006 1:12 pm

Examples:

パャRン = Personal computer

ワープロ = Word processor

ダントツ = 断然(danzen) + トップ(top) which has the combined meaning of "absolutely the best" (I'm not sure on this one though)

I've been encountering these and it's starting to get annoying lol since it can not be found in the dictionary ^_^;

I've few questions to ask.

1. What do you do to figure out the meaning of these abbreviations when you encounter them? Are there any websites providing the specific dictionary for this?

2. What does のどアメ stand for? (Yes, I encounter it again) I can guess from アメ that it should be some kind of candy, but I'm just curious of where exactly does this word come from.

Thank you. :)
Last edited by lgmcben on Sat 01.28.2006 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lgmcben

RE: How do you know the meaning of Japanese abbreviations? (

Postby AJBryant » Sat 01.28.2006 1:52 pm

1. What do you do to figure out the meaning of these abbreviations when you encounter them? Are there any websites providing the specific dictionary for this?

They're not "abbreviations." Those are the Japanese words. You look for them in the same way you look for the meaning of any other word. Dictionaries.

2. What does のどアメ stand for? (Yes, I encounter it again) I can guess from アメ that it should be some kind of candy, but I'm just curious of where exactly does this word come
from.

Has it occurred to you to look up the word のど and see what happens?

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby lgmcben » Sat 01.28.2006 2:22 pm

Yes, I looked up and found the meaning 'throat' which I guess it should means a medicine that helps clear/reduce pain in your throat. (I don't know what is it called in English as I'm not native English speaker either)

About looking these words up in the dictionary, yes I've been doing it for a big while. I've been successful in finding the meanings of them so far.

But the purpose of my post here is; Even when I found the meaning in the dictionary, there'll always be cases that I'm not sure about it(mostly when the it is comprised of 2 or more words). That's why I ask if there'r some kind of websites that dedicated to help learners on these words.

However, thank you for letting me know that these words are actually 'vocabulary' and 'official'. I guess I'll have to try more dictionaries then.
Last edited by lgmcben on Sat 01.28.2006 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lgmcben

Postby mandolin » Sat 01.28.2006 2:50 pm

Where did you get the word パシリ? A manga? It might be a sound word (onomatopoeia).

I would take an educated guess that "throat candy" would be a cough drop/lozenge type thing.
mandolin

Postby lgmcben » Sat 01.28.2006 11:34 pm

Yes, パシリ is from a manga. I can't find it in my dictionary.

But I tried online dictionary and found this:

ぱしり (n) (abbr) a person who is made to do things or go get things for someone else

Which fits the context well. :) (the protagonist is complaining that everyone always make him go buy stuff for them)
lgmcben

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion