Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Homework Help

Homework Help

Do you have a translation question?

Homework Help

Postby Nebby4T » Sun 01.29.2006 4:36 pm

I know many of you don't like always being asked to translate stuff for other people's homework all the time, but I really have tried a bunch of the online translators already.

I'm trying to study for my Japanese final and I got stuck on a question. We have to translate the following question into Japanese:

Is this your first time to come to America?

The first problem I had was not knowing the verb. I thought the question would be Amerika ni (verb in ta/da form) koto ga arimasu ka but then I remembered that that was "Have you ever gone to America?" Can someone help me with this?
Nebby4T

RE: Homework Help

Postby richard99uk » Sun 01.29.2006 5:44 pm

I think the phrase you want is, "amerika e kita (no) wa hajimete desu ka?'.

The 'no' can be dropped if you haven't learned about how that particle works yet. Basically, what you're saying is 'as for came to America, is first/start?'. Hajimete is a participle (-ing equivelant in English), which means 'start' and here is used as a noun to mean 'first time'. It's a bit confusing, but since you're supposed to find out for youself, it might be a good idea if you just try and get your head around the wording and the way the clause works in this sentence, then hopefully, you'll have better luck next time.
Last edited by richard99uk on Sun 01.29.2006 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richard99uk

Postby Nebby4T » Sun 01.29.2006 6:08 pm

Thank you, that helped a lot.
Nebby4T

Postby AJBryant » Mon 01.30.2006 12:19 am

I know many of you don't like always being asked to translate stuff for other people's homework all the time, but I really have tried a bunch of the online translators already.

Well, yeah -- the idea of homework is for you NOT to use automatic translators ;).

But I was just say "Amerika wa hajimete desu ka?"

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion