Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - making appointments

making appointments

Do you have a translation question?

RE: making appointments

Postby coco » Tue 04.11.2006 6:56 pm

どういたしまして。
I think this might be one of the answer of your question about が.
Please read Justin-san's mesg which posted on 25-03-2006 02:21

Ok. Now we are getting the situation this context is used under.
"May I book an appointment at 10:00?"
If you use this sentence with your employer or business partner
( I mean appointment for business meeting/deal/interview)
I don't think that we Japanese use the word 蘭?よやく) for "book".

Since my English is bad, I'd like to check your situation again to make it sure.
Your Japanese employer wanted/wants you to know how to say "asking/ confirming next appointment on the business scene" in Japanese.
correct?

If so or not, give us more detail so that you can get nice explanation from native English speakers. (or fluent English spoken Japanese.)

*Japanese has numerous way to express even one sentence. It's depends on the speaker/audience relationship(customer or colleague), social class, situation ( sentence is spoken..private or offical), etc..

I mean,,, do you need Plan A?
Last edited by coco on Tue 04.11.2006 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby kin-dai-ichi » Wed 04.12.2006 2:20 pm

coco-san:
Thanks for the link to the answer of my question. Now I understand が. But does けど have the same function as well? Like can you use けど to connect 2 similar sentences?

Regarding the original question, I think my employer wants me to know how to make appointments with colleague and customers. So can you show me the appropiate wording and sentence for the 2 scenarios? I would believe I need Plan A and B for those 2 scenarios respectively.

ココ-さんはわたしを教えて,本当にありがとう。 :) Is that right for saying "Really thank you for teaching me?". わたしの悪い日本語にごめんね。
kin-dai-ichi

Postby coco » Wed 04.12.2006 10:29 pm

less than が but sometimes けど is also uesd so in conversation.(specially students talk/casual talk).

If your employer is a Japanese,
I suppose your employer rather wants you to understand what your customers or colleagues are talking in 日本語. than wants you to speak 日本語. Because you are going to talk with your colleagues or customers in English base. right?

Before I tell you some, we need other advanced members' help. ( shall wait until around 30hours )
---------------------
どなたかこの説明に挑戦してみてください。

上記の金田一さんの説明からすると、いま一つ不明な点があります。
そもそも、対顧客の場合、初対面のmaking appointmentsをする場合は、電話かE-mailです。(業種にもよりますが、本当に正式なものは未だに郵便を使う場合もあります)最初から英語を話せない顧客のところに、日本語が充分ではない従業員を単独で担当させることは考えられませんから、雇用主は最初に金田一さんを顧客のところに案内し、一通り紹介を終える、という前提が想像できます。
その後、いずれ making appointment を一人でさせるつもりであると仮定しましょう。
となれば、それまで顧客と金田一さんは英語で会話をしている状況であろうから、「ベラベラベラベラ。ベラ。By the way ○○○○○○」と○○の部分だけ日本語で次回の面談に関する話のみ日本語でやりとりすることになりますが、これはどう考えても効率が悪いと思いませんか?
そこから推測すると、雇用者は、(2)を修得してほしいと考えているのだろうと判断できますが、それだけ聞き取り力があれば…。
というなんとも皮肉かつスマートとは言えない要望をお持ちです。

それはともかくとしても、勉強になることは間違いありませんので、「ケド」の用法と併せて、金田一さんの上記の説明から、もっともふさわしいと思える言葉を考えてみてください。敬語と日本の企業文化を説明することは、ご自身にとっても良い勉強になると思いますよ。

1-1-1) 金田一さんが同僚に対して使うべき言葉
1-1-2) 現在の金田一さんの日本語力を推測して、一ヶ月内に習得可狽セと思える範囲での言葉(発音して相手が確実に聞き取ることができ、文意が伝わる言葉)
1-2-1) 金田一さんが顧客に対して使うべき言葉。
1-2-2) 現在の金田一さんの日本語力を推測して、一ヶ月以内に習得可狽セと思える範囲での言葉

次に金田一さんの同僚及び、顧客が発するであろう言葉を卵zしてみてください。(こっちの方が実用的)
2-1-1) 同僚がmaking appointments する際に、金田一さんに対して使うだろう言葉。
2-1-2) その際、聞き取りの鍵となる言葉の発音及び文法に関するアドバイス。
2-2-1) 顧客がmaking appointments する際に、金田一さんに対して使うだろう言葉。
2-2-2) その際、聞き取りの鍵となる言葉の発音及び文法に関するアドバイス。
Last edited by coco on Fri 04.14.2006 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Postby kin-dai-ichi » Thu 04.13.2006 2:31 am

While I am trying to understand your Japanese paragraphs, I will first answer your the English part. You are right - my employer will communicate with me using English, and that's why they hired me. But they kind of want me to know those sentences for educational purposes. It is possible I won't ever use them, but I think it's always good to know those lines in business situations. And you are right, there might be a possibility that a customer may talk to me in Japanese, and hence those lines I learn will come in handy.

And since I am going to Japan soon, let me practice my Japanese. Please correct me if there are any mistakes me ;)

あなたの日本語文節を分かってしながら,英語文節を最初に応じます。あなたは正しいですが,雇主はわたしに英語で通じます。だけど,教育的な目的があるから,雇主はその"making appointments"の文節を知ることが欲しいです。それをぜんぜん使いないことが可狽ナすけど,もっと日本語の文節を知るのはいつもいいですね。また,顧客は日本語を話すのは可狽ナすから,その文節は確かに有用ですね。

日本で早く働くので,日本語を話して練習します。間違いを正してください。どうもありがとう!
Last edited by kin-dai-ichi on Thu 04.13.2006 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
kin-dai-ichi

Postby kin-dai-ichi » Thu 04.13.2006 4:49 pm

coco-san,
really thank you again for making such an in-depth analysis of what is necessary for my situation. if you, and anyone else, can give me a few sentences, i should be able to understand and learn them quickly, and present to my employer. Even though I have taken only one formal introductory Japanese course, continuous daily studying of grammers, lurking of Japanese forums since 6 months ago have definitely given me a pretty solid foundation. I should be able to understand the grammer, structure, considering this situation isn't that complicated. Please correct me if I am wrong. And new words can be checked on dictionary.
kin-dai-ichi

Postby coco » Thu 04.13.2006 6:33 pm

いえいえ。そんなにお礼を言われると恐縮してしまいます。

While we are waiting this must be your help.
Did you try this already?
http://www.nhk.or.jp/lesson/

and Grammar, check やりもらい動詞 / 授受動詞 like "kureru" "morau" "ageru" these are very important key word for working person. here are some of it. Please check on the Tae kim's site or others.
From the day you just arrive in Japan, you will hear those POWERFUL WORDS by clay-san.

大丈夫です。なんとかなりますから。:)
まったく日本語ができない人でも日本で働いていますから。
-------------------------------

Since writing is harder than else, and need much time, I'm going to say one point.
But they kind of want me to know those sentences for educational purposes.
・私(が勤める嵐?の会社は、教育のために(私に)その文章をわかってもらいたいと考えています(考えているようです)。
・私(が勤める嵐?の会社は、教育目的で、私にその文章を理解して欲しいと考えています。
Third person's expression ( describe how he/she feels/wants) is important especially in the business situations. need to learn.
example:
・山田さんが、3時に会社に来て欲しいと言っていました。
・ABC商事の木村さんが、納品した商品の件で非常に怒っています。至急、電話をして欲しいとのことです。
・DEF証券の石坂さんがとても喜んでいました。
・GH建設の北野さんがウチと取引したいそうです。
Last edited by coco on Fri 04.14.2006 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Postby coco » Fri 04.14.2006 6:42 am

coco wrote:
どなたかこの説明に挑戦してみてください。

Although feel bit silly, I try to answer my own question. sorry, I can't explain about 発音.
1-1-1) 金田一さんが同僚に対して使うべき言葉
次の打ち合わせは、○月○日○曜日の○時でどうですか?

1-1-2) 現在の金田一さんの日本語力を推測して、一ヶ月内に習得可狽セと思える範囲での言葉(発音して相手が確実に聞き取ることができ、文意が伝わる言葉)
次の打ち合わせは、○月○日○曜日の○時はどうですか? (same but not so hard)
Important words
次---- must get
打ち合わせ ---- very popular words, you may hear it alot.
どうですか ---- must get
○月○日○曜日---- write and show it. that is the best way.
so you have to remember (pronounce) 次回の打ち合わせ、(show it )どうですか。
1-2-1) 金田一さんが顧客に対して使うべき言葉。 (planA)
金田一さん : 次にお伺いするのは、いつ頃でしたら(ご都合が)よろしいでしょうか。
相手 :  来月/今月/今週/ 来週/ の○曜日、○時か、来週の木曜日、2時はいかがですか?
金田一さん : では、来週の木曜日○日、午後2時にお伺いいたします。
相手 : わかりました。
1-2-2) 現在の金田一さんの日本語力を推測して、一ヶ月以内に習得可狽セと思える範囲での言葉
・次は いつ 会えますか?
・次は いつ 来れば(伺えば) いい ですか?
・来週(来月)、時間(が)ありますか?
・では、[○月○日○曜日○時(write down)] に また、来ます(伺います)。
Important words
次-------must get
いつ ---- must get
if you say 「つぎ いつ?」and look up calendar or open your notebook,they will get what you are trying to say. 「つぎ、いつ」are most important.
In this case, sound つ(tsu) should pronounce with a rising intonation (?), same as English interrogative form(I guess).
では---- dewa
また-----you can omit this
伺います-----伺います is more polite than 来ます。so if it's not so hard to pronounce for you, 伺います is better to remember. if hard to pronounce, give it up. use 来ます instead of 伺います. that would be better.

次に金田一さんの同僚及び、顧客が発するであろう言葉を卵zしてみてください。(こっちの方が実用的)
2-1-1) 同僚がmaking appointments する際に、金田一さんに対して使うだろう言葉。
・じゃ、次の会議は、来週の火曜、同じ時間に、第一会議室で行います。
・では、次回の打ち合わせは来月の第三週の金曜日、午後イチ(朝イチ)で。
・じゃ、次回のミーティングの嵐閧ヘ追って知らせます。

2-1-2) その際、聞き取りの鍵となる言葉の発音及び文法に関するアドバイス。
じゃ is the casual form of では used often.
次回----- same as 次 must get
嵐?-----must get.
会議=meeting=ミーティング---- pronunciation of katakana ミーティング might be hard to listening for you, but also common words. Be patient.
第一会議室=meeting room called 第一(first), we commonly call it like 第一会議室、第二会議室、第三会議室… that.(depends on the company though)
追って=later
午後一----commonly it means 13:00 (Do not use this word for customers) 
朝一----あさいち start of the business hour. ( ditto)
2-2-1)顧客がmaking appointments する際に、金田一さんに対して使うだろう言葉。 (All Plan B )
・では、次回の打ち合わせ(会議/商談/アポ)はいつにしましょうか。
・では、次はいつ頃がご都合がよろしいですか?
・では、次回、来月10日の午前中はどうですか?
・じゃ、次は水曜日の午後4時に弊社まで来ていただけませんか。
・では、来月またこちらに来ていただくということで、細かい日時についてはまた電話かメールで打ち合わせましょう。

2-2-2) その際、聞き取りの鍵となる言葉の発音及び文法に関するアドバイス。
アポ----abbreviation of "appointment". Like it or not, we use it often.
Ending か of しましょう--- you need concentration, if しましょう(without か), it means that a customer doesn't care about your schedule.
よろしいですか---- is more polite than どうですか
いただけませんか--- is also polite form.
こちら---- here( in this contest, custmer's side) そちら and こちら are both must get words.
ということで---- forget about this phrase there is no meaning.
日時 ---- must get. 日程 also check
メール---- if they use メール in katakana pronunciation,means an e-mail. not an airmail or a letter.
Here might be exactly what you need.
see 仕事で使う英会話. that will be your text next few weeks,I think.
がんばってくださいね。
( sorry for not polite expression, since my english is bad, I don't know how to write polite way.)
Last edited by coco on Fri 04.14.2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Postby kin-dai-ichi » Sat 04.15.2006 5:02 pm

coco-san... thanks so much for all those useful information and help. please don't say sorry cuz you don't need to be so. your english is fine, i didn't see any impolite expressions at all. あなたの英語は上手ですよ!

These will take me sometime to digest and learn. その説明と教導を習うことは、時間がかかるはずですね。I also visited the first listening test website that you mentioned, level 1 and 2 are really hard for my Japanese level. Level 3 is still OK - I was able to understand some. They are definitely wonderful exercises to improve my listening. Allow me to say another ありがとう!
kin-dai-ichi

Previous

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion