n00b's first attempt at reading Japanese. おまえのなま

Do you have a translation question?
Kurisu33

n00b's first attempt at reading Japanese. おまえのなま

Post by Kurisu33 » Tue 05.09.2006 2:27 am

For starters.. how can I increase font size? Japanese characters so intricate its hard to see..ah anyways.

Hello! So I'm a n00b at this whole language thing. I have just finished learning the Hiragana characters and thought for practice I'd try to read some Japanese writings [speed recognition of characters]. I ended up using a Japanese video game since that is the only Japanese thing I have around and although it is filled with more than just Hiragana there were some lines that appeared to only be Hiragana. "Great!" I said to myself, "a chance to try out my dictionary." However, that is when I ran into a problem. Here is the line that I was attempting to translate into English:

おまえのなまえは?

omaenonamaeha?

Copy and paste into electronic dictionary and nothing. Okay, must be multiple words. I've messed around a bit by trying different groupings/parsings of characters, but not satisfied with results. My question is how do I know where one word ends and the next begins? Plus my dictionary when characters are inserted describes おまえ as phonetic and displays a WRITTEN column: 御前 & お前 both of which translate into:
(1) you (sing), (2) presence (of a high personage)

I'm kinda lost here. Why did the video game use おまえ and not 御前 or お前. Ah! My poor brain! Can someone tell me what the above ( おまえのなまえは?) translates into [English]? Also, the following as it was, I believe, the response: だんぺい

Thanx for any help! By the way any recommendations as to what to focus on next? Katakana? Simple vocabulary? Kanji?

-----------------------------------------------------
P.S. For anyone who cares the game I got this from was "Honoo no Doukyuuji - Dodge Danpei"for the SNES.
Last edited by Kurisu33 on Tue 05.09.2006 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

jinksys

RE: n00b's first attempt at reading Japanese. おまえの

Post by jinksys » Tue 05.09.2006 2:31 am

As for おまえのなまえは....let me break it down...

OMAE is you

no (in this case) shows ownership

namae is name

ha (in this case) is the particle WA

So the sentence is roughly, "And your name is?"

edit: also, most video games use hiragana because most of them are pretty simple and use little pixels to represent. Older games just didnt have a high enough resolution to correctly represent most kanji.

edit(again): You can either use Control + to increase the font size or use the up/down arrows on each of the threads.
Last edited by jinksys on Tue 05.09.2006 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello? Internets?

Machina Maw

Post by Machina Maw » Tue 05.09.2006 2:35 am

Omae no namae wa (the particle "wa" is written with a hiragana "ha"). This means, "what is your name?"

keatonatron
Native language: English

Post by keatonatron » Tue 05.09.2006 2:42 am

Why not start by actually learning some Japanese.

If you don't know the first thing about grammar, you won't be able to make heads or tails of anything you see.

Kurisu33

Post by Kurisu33 » Tue 05.09.2006 3:13 am

Thanks for the translation. Seems I got a looooong way to go before I can really translate stuff. Guess I'll devote my time to the grammar aspects instead of learning more character sets. Thanks for the link keatonatron, I'll definitely check 'er out.

Just for clarification, Kanji would be utilized more in this sentence if instead of a video game "What is your name?" was located in a novel for instance. 御前 replace おまえ ??

jinksys

Post by jinksys » Tue 05.09.2006 3:24 am

御前 【ごぜん】 (n) Your Excellency; the (Imperial) presence

名前 is name (namae). That sentence would be....

o-mae no namae wa
お前 の 名前 は

Hello? Internets?

SuzuQ

Post by SuzuQ » Tue 05.09.2006 3:30 am

Hi Kurisu33,
It’s very rare to see 御前 in any writing. I see お前 often as well as おまえ and オマエ. おまえ and オマエ are more often found in comic books and some casual novels.

Anyway, おまえ does mean YOU, but it sounds really offensive and rude. Please be careful if you are asking someone his name!;)

keatonatron

Post by keatonatron » Tue 05.09.2006 4:10 am

As a general rule, don't imiate the Japanese you see/hear in video games, anime, or comic books. A very exxagerated style of speech is often used in those mediums, and actually talking like that will get you ostracized, beat up, or both.

My personal advice is to stick with that site I gave you. Read through it front to back, looking up any words you don't know (dictionary) and reviewing as much as you need to. Once you've got that material down well, you'll be in a great position to do what you're doing now, because with the grammar in your head and the words in your dictionary you can figure out most any of it.
Last edited by keatonatron on Tue 05.09.2006 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kurisu33

Post by Kurisu33 » Tue 05.09.2006 4:34 am

Yep, been reading through that site you provided.... very good stuff and I've already learned more about the language in the past 20 minutes than I have in the prior 3 weeks.. its covers a lot of stuff and answers a lot of questions I had.. good resource...

keatonatron

Post by keatonatron » Tue 05.09.2006 7:39 am

Glad to hear it B)b

two_heads_talking

Post by two_heads_talking » Tue 05.09.2006 1:37 pm

words for you = anata (used most of the time), kimi (used for very close friends), omae (used for subordinates and for those cosidered below you in status) (the literal translation of omae is honorable or honorific front.. lol interesting no?

there are others, but those are best not used at all..

DuffMan

Post by DuffMan » Tue 05.09.2006 3:40 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
words for you = anata (used most of the time), kimi (used for very close friends), omae (used for subordinates and for those cosidered below you in status) (the literal translation of omae is honorable or honorific front.. lol interesting no?

there are others, but those are best not used at all..
isn't ぼく (boku) used more in Japan instead of きみ (kimi)?
or would this differ from region to region
Last edited by DuffMan on Tue 05.09.2006 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richvh

Post by richvh » Tue 05.09.2006 3:43 pm

DuffMan wrote:
isn't ぼく (boku) used more in Japan instead of きみ (kimi)?
or would this differ from region to region
ぼく is used a lot (mostly by men), but not in place of きみ. ぼく means "I", while きみ means "you"
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語