A quick one..

Do you have a translation question?
Niphty

A quick one..

Post by Niphty » Fri 05.19.2006 10:09 pm

I don't entirely get this one..
残金2ケタ - Money remaining: 2 bucks?

The best I could find for the keta was 桁, dgit / order of magnitude. Mind you, it's in a manga, and the reason I chose bucks over dollars (for a cleaner English translation) is because ti's written in katakana. Would that be right?
Literally, does this work out to 2 yen, or 20 yen, or what? Thanks =D

Oyaji

RE: A quick one..

Post by Oyaji » Fri 05.19.2006 10:30 pm

桁(けた) "keta" is used like "figures" in English. The remaining money is 2 figures, so between 10 and 99.

Not knowing the context, I'm going to guess that it's written in katakana to stress how little money is left. If it's present day Japan, and they are talking about yen, to be down to 2ケタ, or less than one hundred yen, means they are nearly out of money.

Niphty

RE: A quick one..

Post by Niphty » Fri 05.19.2006 10:58 pm

Thanks Oyaji, I did some google searches on it, and it kind of clicked when I saw it used to mean "a 6-figure salary". So I took it to mean less than 100 yen, and checked back and here you confirmed it =D
It's actually in the Da Capo manga (not sure how much manga you read, if any). I figured starting out trying to work on things like reading manga would be best for me ;) I learn best by example over anything else, so reading raw manga, and trying to translate it, then seeing how it was actually translated is what I've been doing.
Thanks again for the quick response.