How to write "No Drugs" in Japanese

Do you have a translation question?
baor

How to write "No Drugs" in Japanese

Post by baor » Sun 05.21.2006 6:48 am

A friend of mine wants to print T-shirts with the "No Drugs" slogan in Japanese. I know that drugs is mayaku but what can I use for "No"? Hiragana iie or iya? Or the han of hantai? Or the bu (e.g. of buaisou) for "not ..., un-". There may be a set phrase in Japanese and I don't want him to come back to me saying that I made him put rubbish on his shirts.
Thanks for any help anyone can give

Machina Maw

RE: How to write "No Drugs" in Japanese

Post by Machina Maw » Sun 05.21.2006 6:53 am

"No drugs" is a pretty vague saying. It depends whether you mean "There are no drugs" or "no drugs allowed".

baor

RE: "No Drugs"

Post by baor » Sun 05.21.2006 8:59 am

Sorry for sounding vague. It is supposed to mean:
Forget about drugs, drugs are anything but cool, drugs are unwanted and if you're on them, get off. Sort of ike "No smoking", "No Parking" or "No Condom No Sex"

keatonatron
Native language: English

Post by keatonatron » Sun 05.21.2006 9:34 am

There isn't really a set phrase like that. You could say:

麻薬禁止 (Drugs prohibited/not allowed in this area)

or

麻薬、ダメ! (kind of like "Drugs, NO!")

or

麻薬を飲むな! (quite simply, "Don't do drugs!")

or

麻薬を飲む人は格好よくない。 ("People who do drugs aren't cool)

baor

Post by baor » Sun 05.21.2006 10:13 am

As it's for a T-shirt it shouldn't be too long, rather short and to the point. Could one just use either the "kin" or the "shi" part of forbid-stop tagged to mayaku?
ma
yaku
kin
(in kanji of course) looks nice and sounds okay to me. But then I'm not Japanese and can't really tell. mayakushi sounds better, but it's too specifically "stop!". Though most people seeing the shirts wouldn't know anyway. It's more a question of "not losing face" just in case.
The meaning is really "mayaku dame!" but that uses 2 kanji and 2 hiragana, too long really.
It is actually for distributing items with motto "No Drugs" to kids in schools in a drugs sensibilization-prevention programme. So I suppose it's meant to look cool. There isn't by chance a 1 character kanji that could be used for "not cool" or "sucks"?

hungryhotei

Post by hungryhotei » Sun 05.21.2006 10:24 am

baor wrote:
As it's for a T-shirt it shouldn't be too long, rather short and to the point. Could one just use either the "kin" or the "shi" part of forbid-stop tagged to mayaku?
No.

Personally I would go for 麻薬ダメ! I can't believe that 4 characters is too long for a slogan.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。

keatonatron

Post by keatonatron » Sun 05.21.2006 10:50 am

If you stack them up it will make a nice square:

麻薬
禁止

禁止 is very common when talking about prohibited things. You see it on signs all over the place (no smoking, no entry, no parking, no talking on your cell phone, etc.), that's why I think it would be the best.

If you did make a shirt like the above, I wonder if anyone would confuse it with the "looking for a Japanese girlfriend shirt".... :D

baor

Post by baor » Sun 05.21.2006 10:55 am

Thanks to all for your help. I do agree that 麻薬ダメdoes seem best. Unless of course someone comes up with a better catch-phrase.

skrhgh3b

Post by skrhgh3b » Sun 05.21.2006 2:24 pm

I'd go with 「覚醒剤はいけません」 'cause it's a lyric from an awesome song called 「覚醒剤音頭」 by The Timers B)
If you print up that shirt, I'd want one :D
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪

keatonatron

Post by keatonatron » Sun 05.21.2006 7:46 pm

I don't really like ダメ (I know I suggested it...) because it's too slangy. Kind of sounds like something a 4-year-old would say (Drugs.... BAD!)

Not because the word isn't good, just because it doesn't sound as good in an extremely shortened sentence like this (where as 禁止 is used this way all the time).

私には、麻薬はダメです - OK
麻薬ダメ - Not so much

coco
Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Post by coco » Sun 05.21.2006 8:08 pm

4-year-old would say (Drugs.... BAD!)
:D:D
賛成に一票を投じます。
ですが
こんなのが。。。

ご参考までに。
正式には
薬物乱用防止の合い言葉は
「ダメ。ゼッタイ。」
という使い方のようですね。
Last edited by coco on Sun 05.21.2006 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oyaji

Post by Oyaji » Mon 05.22.2006 1:07 am

Around schools and such there are lots of posters with the phrase cocoさん introduced.
「ダメ。ゼッタイ。」The words themselves don't refer to drugs, but the posters have pictures or drawings of drugs.

One possibility would be to combine Japanese and English:

麻薬に
NO!!

I admit it looks corny, but in Japan it might work.:|

Harisenbon
Native language: (poor) English

Post by Harisenbon » Mon 05.22.2006 1:22 am

「ダメ。ゼッタイ。」The words themselves don't refer to drugs, but the posters have pictures or drawings of drugs.
And pretty much anyone you said that to would recognize that you were talking about drugs. Much like in America where you have the "Just say no" campaign.

baor

Post by baor » Mon 05.22.2006 7:18 am

Many thanks again for all your interesting contributions. I think I'm just going to hand on the 3 possibles
ダメ。ゼッタイ。
麻薬ダメ
麻薬禁止 (2 lines, 2 kanji each, looks good to me)
to my friend and let him decide which he likes best. The slogan "No Drugs" is printed way down, in smallish letters, so the Japanese must make sense. I don't think there are that many Japanese in Luxembourg anyway. And those that are there will be pleased that the Japanese caption is not utter rubbish for change. Even if the ダメsounds a bit childish on its own.
Great forum this. Thanks to you.

inamorata

Post by inamorata » Mon 05.22.2006 7:42 am

Machina Mawwrites:"No drugs" is a pretty vague saying. It depends whether you mean "There are no drugs" or "no drugs allowed".
ok fine ..u could also write - "stay a'way frum drugz plz" and a qute bunny could jump 'round..an' stuff ..