Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - たとえる

たとえる

Do you have a translation question?

たとえる

Postby WacKostRacKo » Tue 09.04.2007 9:16 am

This is a translation that i'm working on at the moment. could you see if i have made any mistakes please. Also any tips are welcome!

たとえる

 忙しくて、忙しくて、誰でもいいから一人でも多くの人に手伝ってもらいたい。 そんな時、日本語では「猫の手も借りたいほどだ」とたとえて言います。 たとえ猫が手伝ってくれてもそれほど役に立つとは思えませんが、何か口に出して言いたいと思ってこう言うのです。
 また、「私の家には庭があります、でも狭いですよ」と言いたければ、これも「猫」を使って「猫の額ほど庭があります」と言います。猫にも額の広い猫と狭い猫がいると思うので、日本語の分かる猫に聞かれたら、「失礼じゃないですか?!」と怒られてしまいそうです。
 まだまだたくさん「猫」のお世話のなる便利な言い方はあるのですが、「猫に小判」という言い方ほど面白いものはないでしょう。 小判は昔のお金ですから、今なら「猫に一万円」と言えば、意味が分かるでしょうか。 高い辞書を持っていても、全然使わずに本棚に並べておくだけの人に、「猫に小判だね」と言うのです。
 猫だけでなく、犬、牛、馬など、人と昔から生活をしてきた動物たちを使った言い方がたくさんあります。 皆さんの国の言葉にも「猫の手」や「猫の額」、そして「猫に小判」などと同じような言い方がありますか。あれば是非それを紹介して下さい。

Comparisons

Busy, busy, I want help from from one person, many people, anybody is ok. For example at times like that in Japanese we say [I could even do with help from a cat]. I dont think that a cat helping me would be useful, but I want to say something so we say it like this.
Also, when we say [at my house I have a garden, however it's really small] we also use cat: [the garden is about the same size as a cat's forehead]. There are cats with small foreheads and wide foreheads, so when a cat that understands Japanese hears this [isn't that rude?!] and it will get offended.
There are still many useful sayings involving cats, but there are none as interesting as [a koban for a cat]. A koban is old fashioned money so now, if you say 10000yen for a cat you should understand the meaning. For the person who has an expensive dictionary and doesn't use it, just keeps it arranged on the shelf you say [a koban for a cat].
Not just cats but dogs, cows and horses etc, there are many sayings that involve animals that have form peoples' lives in the olden times. Are there similar sayings like [a cat's hand] and [a cat's forehead] and then [a koban for a cat] in your country? If there is then please introduce them to me.

Any good?

Rob
Last edited by WacKostRacKo on Tue 09.04.2007 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanuki wrote:
How about:

外人: これはすしです。すしが好きです。
日本人: おお!日本語が上手ですね。
外人: Erm....what?


story of my life...
User avatar
WacKostRacKo
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed 09.14.2005 3:27 pm

RE: たとえる

Postby richvh » Tue 09.04.2007 9:44 am

Which way are you translating?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh
 
Posts: 6480
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm

RE: たとえる

Postby WacKostRacKo » Tue 09.04.2007 10:21 am

Sorry, from Japanese to English
tanuki wrote:
How about:

外人: これはすしです。すしが好きです。
日本人: おお!日本語が上手ですね。
外人: Erm....what?


story of my life...
User avatar
WacKostRacKo
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed 09.14.2005 3:27 pm

RE: たとえる

Postby richvh » Tue 09.04.2007 11:04 am

Also, when we say [at my house I have a garden, however it's really small]

I don't see any "however it's really small" in the Japanese you quoted.
日本語の分かる猫に聞かれたら、「失礼じゃないですか?!」と怒られてしまいそうです。

I think "if a cat who can understand Japanese should happen to hear this, it seems like he would get angry and say 'Isn't that rude?'" is better.
There are still many useful sayings

There are still more useful sayings
there are many sayings that involve animals that have form peoples' lives in the olden times.

that come from
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh
 
Posts: 6480
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm

RE: たとえる

Postby WacKostRacKo » Tue 09.04.2007 12:44 pm

Hi Rich, thanks for the help. Just a few questions:

richvh wrote:
Also, when we say [at my house I have a garden, however it's really small]

I don't see any "however it's really small" in the Japanese you quoted.


I missed this bit of the Japanese text out by mistake, I have now edited the original post.

日本語の分かる猫に聞かれたら、「失礼じゃないですか?!」と怒られてしまいそうです。

I think "if a cat who can understand Japanese should happen to hear this, it seems like he would get angry and say 'Isn't that rude?'" is better.


The Japanese doesn't include the verb 'say', have you included it in the English so that it makes sense or have i missed something in the Japanese?

There are still many useful sayings

There are still more useful sayings


Why is it more instead of many? I thought たくさん was many.

there are many sayings that involve animals that have form peoples' lives in the olden times.

that come from


Yes, sorry typo.

Thanks again.

Rob
tanuki wrote:
How about:

外人: これはすしです。すしが好きです。
日本人: おお!日本語が上手ですね。
外人: Erm....what?


story of my life...
User avatar
WacKostRacKo
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed 09.14.2005 3:27 pm

RE: たとえる

Postby richvh » Tue 09.04.2007 1:13 pm

WacKostRacKo wrote:
Hi Rich, thanks for the help. Just a few questions:

richvh wrote:
日本語の分かる猫に聞かれたら、「失礼じゃないですか?!」と怒られてしまいそうです。

I think "if a cat who can understand Japanese should happen to hear this, it seems like he would get angry and say 'Isn't that rude?'" is better.


The Japanese doesn't include the verb 'say', have you included it in the English so that it makes sense or have i missed something in the Japanese?


The と after the quotation implies it.

There are still many useful sayings

There are still more useful sayings


Why is it more instead of many? I thought たくさん was many.

Because it makes better sense in English.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh
 
Posts: 6480
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm

RE: たとえる

Postby AJBryant » Tue 09.04.2007 3:16 pm

WacKostRacKo wrote:
The Japanese doesn't include the verb 'say', have you included it in the English so that it makes sense or have i missed something in the Japanese?


Welcome to how to do translation. :)

Why is it more instead of many? I thought たくさん was many.


Again, welcome to the world of translation, where the object is to turn something into natural sounding text in the target language. Sometimes, you have to pick "alternative" uses of the source words. (P.S. -- What does "more" mean? Many, basically.)


Tony
User avatar
AJBryant
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 11:29 am
Location: Indiana
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: たとえる

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 09.04.2007 3:27 pm

Dang! Tony beat me again. more= many= multiple, etc.
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

RE: たとえる

Postby keatonatron » Wed 09.05.2007 10:50 am

Wacko,
Would you happen to have just started 中級から学ぶ日本語? :D
User avatar
keatonatron
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: たとえる

Postby WacKostRacKo » Wed 09.05.2007 7:12 pm

AJB and Two_Heads:

Yea i'm never sure where to draw the line between using certain words because they sound better in English and using other words because they are true to the original. I always end up with *'s all over the place in my translation exams for notes.

Keatonatron:

Lol, well I actually have almost finished the book but I havn't done the beginning exercises for about year so I'm using them to brush up for my placement year. ;)
tanuki wrote:
How about:

外人: これはすしです。すしが好きです。
日本人: おお!日本語が上手ですね。
外人: Erm....what?


story of my life...
User avatar
WacKostRacKo
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed 09.14.2005 3:27 pm

RE: たとえる

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 09.06.2007 8:45 am

WacKostRacKo wrote:
AJB and Two_Heads:

Yea i'm never sure where to draw the line between using certain words because they sound better in English and using other words because they are true to the original. I always end up with *'s all over the place in my translation exams for notes.


As a translator/Interpreter, sometimes you have to make a snap decision. And to be honest, what sounds Kosher to me or Kosher to Tony could very well be not so Kosher for you.

Environment, status, job and other factors will determine where you draw that line. And in the end, no matter how well you think it works, someone will say, "hmm, I would have used ______ instead of _____." At that point you can say, "well, it's my perogative." and call it good.
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

RE: たとえる

Postby WacKostRacKo » Thu 09.06.2007 12:45 pm

Thanks for the advice. :)
tanuki wrote:
How about:

外人: これはすしです。すしが好きです。
日本人: おお!日本語が上手ですね。
外人: Erm....what?


story of my life...
User avatar
WacKostRacKo
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed 09.14.2005 3:27 pm

Re: たとえる

Postby Anjin1970 » Mon 01.25.2016 8:18 pm

Hello! I have been trying to find the book this text came from and give it as a gift to my teacher. For the OP's text entered, does anyone recognize what the source was? I've been searching a while and just stumbled on this, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you! :bow:
Anjin1970
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon 01.25.2016 8:12 pm
Native language: English


Return to Translation Questions or Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests