Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What level is GENKI 2 considered

What level is GENKI 2 considered

The test - experiences, questions or comments

What level is GENKI 2 considered

Postby gyuunyuu luvr » Wed 12.26.2007 10:36 pm

When I finish Genki 2 will I have finished JLPT 4 level? You learn over enough kanji. And if it is pass JLPT 4 how far is it through JLPT3? Just thinking. :)
MMMMmm. milk
gyuunyuu luvr

RE: What level is GENKI 2 considered

Postby ss » Thu 12.27.2007 12:15 am

I’d say, basically, once you’ve done with GENKI I & II, you should be ready for taking JLPT4 or even JLPT3. Very often, the answer will depend on how much hard work you have put in. In my opinion, a proper study plan is crucial.

Working through past year papers, workbooks, or trying quizzes for better understanding. Perhaps, the next step is to work with someone else to clarify anything that's confusing. Like, Coco-san did for the past 2 years, giving us tricky questions, explaining all kinds of possible scenario so as to make sure everything was clearly understood.

Take pleasure in taking good notes even if the materials aren’t catered for the test. That’s how you progress with Japanese learning for your own good sake.

And btw, for listening comprehension, I hope other members here can give you good tips. I’m simply lousy for that session.

That’s about my 2 cents.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby gyuunyuu luvr » Thu 12.27.2007 1:14 pm

oooh, that make a lot of sense. I don't really care to take JLPT4 I just wanted to know how far GENKI 2 is; kinda like measuring the distance I traveled. ;)
MMMMmm. milk
gyuunyuu luvr

Postby ss » Fri 12.28.2007 12:33 am

毎日毎日根気よく勉強を続ければ、万の文字はすぐに覚えられます。
千里の道も一歩から。努力、努力、学問には終点がありませんよ。 加油加油! ;)
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby mr_goosey » Sat 01.05.2008 11:06 am

I wondered the same :)

Just about to embark on Genki II with the aim of getting JLPT 3 this year.

Can anyone offer some solid advice about a plan to achieve this (apart from using Genki?). I get speaking practice whenever I want as I have a bi-lingual girlf..

MRG
mr_goosey

Re: What level is GENKI 2 considered

Postby p-chan » Tue 04.01.2008 7:42 pm

from what I've learned from Genki Online; although not directly mentioned but they say it's enough to make it in to level 3 of the JLPT.

Q. How many kanji are studied in Genki?

A. A total of 317 kanji are studied in the Reading and Writing sections: 145 in Genki 1 and 172 in Genki 2. These include 254 of the 284 kanji subject to appear in Level 3 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (revised list of 2002). (See Kanji Introduced in the Reading and Writing Section.)

Q. How many vocabulary terms are studied in Genki?

A. Approximately 1,700 terms are covered throughout all 23 lessons. In order that students can immediately put the grammar and expressions they learned into use in real situations, the vocabulary selections are predominantly words frequently used in everyday life. Broken down by part of speech, the selections encompass, in rough numbers, 930 nouns (including pronouns and proper nouns), 360 verbs, 80 i-adjectives, 40 na-adjectives and 230 adverbs, adnominals and other expressions.

and

base from http://momo.jpf.go.jp/jlpt/e/about_e.html

The examinee has mastered grammar to a limited level, knows around 300 kanji and 1,500 words, has the ability to take part in everyday conversation and read and write simple sentences. This level is normally reached after studying Japanese for around 300 hours and after completion of an elementary course.

Genki has more than enough kanji and vocabulary for JLPT 3?
p-chan

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test