Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - So, told some 1 I was taking JLPT 5. Got a weird response..

So, told some 1 I was taking JLPT 5. Got a weird response..

The test - experiences, questions or comments

So, told some 1 I was taking JLPT 5. Got a weird response..

Postby Shiroisan » Wed 03.09.2011 11:37 pm

So my mother just asked me what fluency level in terms of GRADE SCHOOL in Japan would JLPT 5 be? It's not really compareable, is it? and if it is, what grade of Japanese student would I be speaking like at a JLPT 5 level?
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Re: So, told some 1 I was taking JLPT 5. Got a weird respon

Postby Dustin » Thu 03.10.2011 12:31 am

There is no good way to compare the JLPT levels to Japanese grade school.

The way that you learn is MUCH different than Japanese children. I'd expect that after completing the JLPT N5, a 4 year old could express whatever they really need, and we'd be lost, while we can read script and recognize some Kanji.

Plus, while we may be able to pass a standard test, it doesn't make us fluent in the material that we've memorized for it, while generally Japanese children who are forced to use it everyday, it's automatic.

Hopefully that response is good enough for your mother :p

Good Luck on the JLPT 5!
Dustin

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Thu 03.10.2011 1:00 am

Shiroisan wrote:So my mother just asked me what fluency level in terms of GRADE SCHOOL in Japan would JLPT 5 be? It's not really compareable, is it? ....

As Dustin-san posted, it is not comparable to a grade (primary) school level of a native speaker.

By the time a Japanese child starts school they already have a very large vocabulary and grasp of grammar although they may have very limited, if any, reading and writing ability. They have been immersed in Japanese for 5 years or so.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Mikkabozu » Sun 10.09.2011 8:05 am

Again, I'll support the other posters in saying that the JLPT measures language ability differently from the standard progression of Japanese taught in schools here.

Looking at vocab lists for N5, however, I can say that any child in kindergarten would already know the majority of those words. Whether they would use them all properly or conjugate them correctly would depend on the child, but they are all pretty basic words.

The kanji, on the other hand, are predominantly taught in 1st and 2nd grade of elementary school.

Suffice to say, passing N5 denotes a very basic command of the language.

Don't mean this to be disparaging or anything. Just trying to give you an idea of what approximate level N5 might be.

We all have to start somewhere, don't we? :wink:
Mikkabozu

Postby Shiroisan » Sun 10.09.2011 5:00 pm

I've long since abandoned the notion of writing the N5 exam since writing this; it's in no way worth money to me now. I'll be studying well past that level before taking any JLPT. Most likely I'll go straight for N2. It will be challenging to progress at my planned speed (since I'm only studying N4 material at the moment, but I'm aiming to achieve that level by December 2012.

Don't need a good grade, just the certificate. :bow:
Shiroisan

Postby Mikkabozu » Mon 10.10.2011 7:47 am

Shiroisan wrote:I've long since abandoned the notion of writing the N5 exam since writing this; it's in no way worth money to me now.

I hear you there. I never took the JLPT for that reason alone. There are a lot of jobs that list JLPT level whatever as a requirement, but in reality I've found that if you can work your way through an interview completely in Japanese, that alone will be enough evidence of your Japanese ability for a prospective employer.

I've used JLPT materials as study guides, but that's all. The best I can say is that I've had friends who used the preparing for the JLPT as their motivation to keep dedicated to their Japanese studies. There's something in that, I guess.

Of course, I imagine there's the bragging rights that come from passing a certain level, but that hasn't been enough reason for me to shell out the cash to take the test. :neutral:
Mikkabozu

Postby Shiroisan » Mon 10.10.2011 4:16 pm

Mikkabozu wrote:
Shiroisan wrote:I've long since abandoned the notion of writing the N5 exam since writing this; it's in no way worth money to me now.

I hear you there. I never took the JLPT for that reason alone. There are a lot of jobs that list JLPT level whatever as a requirement, but in reality I've found that if you can work your way through an interview completely in Japanese, that alone will be enough evidence of your Japanese ability for a prospective employer.

I've used JLPT materials as study guides, but that's all. The best I can say is that I've had friends who used the preparing for the JLPT as their motivation to keep dedicated to their Japanese studies. There's something in that, I guess.

Of course, I imagine there's the bragging rights that come from passing a certain level, but that hasn't been enough reason for me to shell out the cash to take the test. :neutral:

Yes, I definitely agree about the interview thing. I'd say that putting "obtained JLPT 5" on a resume may even work against you, if they realize the low level of difficulty on that exam. As for the N2 however, there are a decent number of places that actually require (mostly educational but some companies too) speakers of Japanese as a second language to have a certificate at this level or above.
Shiroisan

Postby maikumaiku » Mon 06.25.2012 5:38 am

Hi there, hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread a little.

I'm also taking the JLPT N5 this weekend and my biggest worry is the listening section. I really struggle with the speed of talking and even on an N5 level CD I've struggled a little with the questions.

During the exam, do you only get to hear the listening questions once? Or do they repeat it?

Cheers

Mike
maikumaiku

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test