Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Advice on learning Kanji.

Advice on learning Kanji.

The test - experiences, questions or comments

RE: Advice on learning Kanji.

Postby jaela » Wed 07.13.2005 10:24 am

Can you really learn a language in three months?? Coz there's a langauge series here available in our place that promises you that in with short span of time you can learn japanese/korean/german/italian/etc. actually, i have a handful of easy-to-learn japanese books (mainly because they are the only ones you can find here in our island of a place) :( But, methinks it is not working for me ... :(
jaela

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 07.13.2005 11:06 am

"learn a language" is a really broad term, but still, the answer is no.
Schattenjedi

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 07.13.2005 3:10 pm

There is this man, whom I saw on the Discovery channel, who, by virtue of some highly merciful mental "disorder," can learn any language - even the most difficult - within 1 week. He is quite a spectacular individual, though.

You may not be able to be exactly as he is, but a sure-fire way to learn a language really slowly is to not believe in yourself and to think the language, which you are attempting to learn, difficult. It helps to expand your thinking and see that not every language has to be organized and arranged just as English. English is only one of many and no better in its forms and construction than any other. Open your understanding to a new way of seeing language. Don't see it through your "English" eyes. Be open-minded and don't expect any familiarity.

That's what helps me anyways.
Ni di me non pvlchrvm paterentvr, omnia bona agerem. Dixit: Cvr se deos liqvisse? Qvid se faceret? Di se fecissent foediorem qvam qvem canis ipse videre posset. Qvaeram a qvovis, vel diabolo, vt bellvs a se fiam modo ne malam vitam vivam. Dico, si aliter egissent, fvtvrvm fvisse vt bene viverem. - me
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby mithrila » Wed 07.13.2005 3:28 pm

What I mean by grade is 1st grade, 2nd grade etc. It's easier for me I guess, mainly because it comes in small managable chunks (about 150-200 kanji in a grade). Each time I complete a grade, it feels *really* good. I'm in the last dozen of 6th grade, which means that I'll have over 1,000 under my belt. The problem that I have is finding stuff to read, that I can read without having my electronic dictionary on (though I can read the definitions in the dictionary, so I'm not complaining). I've been doing Harry Potter, "Read Real Japanese" and "Jumping into Japanese Literature." No newspapers yet:(...
Best blond moment (said to a Japanese person):

\"Can you understand Anime without the subtitles on?\"

*sigh* I wish I could claim that one!
mithrila

Postby Gakusha » Thu 07.14.2005 2:18 pm

If you can read Harry Potter, you're doing EXTREMELY well. It will be a while before my kanji knowledge can get put to use.

I am currently going by JLPT level and in order of frequency. I have tried a few different methods, so by doing this i have learned about 12 kanji so far. Along with my other methods, however, I know about 40.

I think that it is fairly easy to look at a kanji and tell it's definition. It's the readings that make things tricky.

You could probably go to a Japanese news website if you want to read newspaper-like material. This will also keep you up to date with what's going on in Japan. Also, you could read books in Japanese that you've already read in English to help you to learn more words that may be new.

You said, mithrila, that you used Kanji Gold. Where can this be purchased?
赤い猿の学者
Gakusha

Postby mithrila » Thu 07.14.2005 4:00 pm

This is the website you can download Kanji Gold from *it's free* and you don't have to register it. What you see is what you get, but you get a lot.

http://web.uvic.ca/kanji-gold/

mithrila

Postby max_alcala » Wed 07.20.2005 5:29 pm

many people have told to me that using software for kanji is nice for learning. But due to past experiences with evil kanji software, I decided from the beggining to do it the hard way. Also the "explain the origin" thingys didnt do anything for me, since l found that later on, more advanced kanjis didnt have so neat explanations and they ended up confusing me. So l based myself on association with phrases, sentences, repeating them constantly(up to a point where l had my whole room covered with post-it kanjis) and by simple memorizing techniques, l could work out the way to write a kanji by its main components. and its really a good sensation when you see a kanji on a webpage, and you can reproduce it excatly because you know its radicals. my opinion - say things you would normally say in your language(my case spanish) and then do it in jap. after that, try writing everthing in kanji, and if you can do it, youre on your way!

La gente tiene la mala costumbre de morirse.
Juan Rulfo
max_alcala

Postby mithrila » Wed 07.20.2005 5:53 pm

The problem that I've had in learning kanji based solely on the radicals has always made my brain burn out after 700 or so. I only learned the radicals so I could use my kanji dictionary. I just learn kanji in the same way I learned the hebrew alphabet or the english alphabet (mainly how to read english), I just let my brain make its own storage system. Just so long as I can get it out of storage in a timely manner, I let my brain do the hard work. I dunno, it works for me. Probably because my brain is chock full of other languages which I learned as a baby and my brain's just used to it:D.

mithrila

Postby Danieru88 » Thu 07.21.2005 12:07 am

I'm in high school and our teacher has demostrated the best method is flashcards and repeating repeating, repeating...
レベル4!!!
2005年12月
Danieru88

Postby mithrila » Thu 07.21.2005 10:18 pm

My teacher showed me that one too, and I still have the stacks. No, literally, they're in a dozen moving boxes and the boxes are *full.* They make great coasters:D

mithrila

Postby skrhgh3b » Thu 07.28.2005 3:52 am

i find that kanji isn't very difficult to learn to read, but extrememly difficult to learn to write. i can probably read four times as many kanji as i can write. but i know even japanese have this problem....
skrhgh3b

Postby Qbe » Thu 07.28.2005 8:32 pm

Interesting. I'm using the Heisig method and find that the kanji are very simple and fun to write...so far.
Qbe

Postby Gakusha » Thu 07.28.2005 8:53 pm

I thought about using the Heisig book, but I saw a sample of it and it only covers the kanji stroke order, radical, and meaning. It doesn't have much in the way of readings, which is kind of necessary.
赤い猿の学者
Gakusha

Postby Qbe » Thu 07.28.2005 11:12 pm

Heisig covers readings in the second book. You learn the meaning and writing of 2000 or so kanji in the first book, then learn the readings in the second.
Qbe

Postby Spaztick » Fri 07.29.2005 2:36 pm

Personally, I find that the mnemonics that he uses aren't that great, you could probably make up your own (I know that's true for Henshall's book, his mnumonics are terrible, it's like he wasn't even trying). I haven't put together for kanji strokes themselves, but I do learn the pronounciation and meaning, and the kanji writing/stroke order just comes naturally. Of course, I think I have a feel for what the correct stroke order is for kanji, and you do have to actually see it first. :D
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN