Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Advice on learning Kanji.

Advice on learning Kanji.

The test - experiences, questions or comments

RE: Advice on learning Kanji.

Postby skrhgh3b » Sun 08.07.2005 9:13 pm

one of the most effective ways for me to expand my vocabulary (because it's enjoyable) is to listen to japanese music. with a cd, a lyrics sheet, and a dictionary, you'll find yourself picking up all sorts of new words and expressions, and once you know them by heart, they'll never leave you. plus, there's no greater joy as a language student than those "sweet jesus! i understood that!" moments. singing along to a good tune will also improve your pronunciation.

「約束」
忌野清志郎

約束も しないけど また今度 会いたいね
ありがとう 夢のような あたたかい この夜を

月が照らす 帰り道
 君のこと 想い出して
 今度いつ会える

忘れない 今日のこと また今度 会いたいね

月が照らす 帰り道
 君のこと 想い出して
 今度いつ会える

約束は 要らないさぁ またきっと 会えるから
skrhgh3b

Postby kokoro_shadow_angel » Mon 08.08.2005 3:09 am

sooooo tru!!! i do that with japanese and my cousin does that with korean...one day we'll both be good enough to translate for each other...

and its soooooo true...there's no feeling that'll ever be the same as listening to a song and realizing you understand it...its scary and happy at the same time..lol...

wanna suggest some japanese artists (besides anime music)...alls i know so far is:
1. BoA (okay so she's korean but she sings japanese)
2. NEWS
3. Kanjani8
4. KAT-TUN
5. Gackt
6. Nana Kitade
7. Utada Hikaru
8. V6
kokoro_shadow_angel

Postby skrhgh3b » Mon 08.08.2005 3:29 am

well, i'm mostly new to the j-pop scene. although i've listened to the japanese composer and pianist sakamoto ryuuichi (sitesakamoto.com) for a long time now, he's not a songwriter. but he did record a single with the japanese rock star imawano kiyoshirou (kiyoshiro.co.jp), and that got me hooked on kiyoshirou's music. since the early 70s, kiyoshirou's been the front man of the japanese rock band rc succession, who are always listed among the top five of japan's greatest rock bands. he's also released a number of solo albums and side projects, and i've been listening to a number of them lately. i even got to see him live in kamakura a couple of months ago, and it was hands down the best rock concert i've ever been to. he has a new cd out, "god," and i can wholeheartedly recommend any of his music to you.

i believe itunes just opened a japanese music store, and that might be a cheaper way for you to test new waters in j-pop....
skrhgh3b

Postby Inu » Mon 08.08.2005 9:55 am

Hi there, I'm new here.. Can someone help me out how to begin the japanese lesson? I know Hiragana n katakana but not Kanji for myself in the first place.
How should i carry on the next step?

You all may consider i was slow learner but i wish i can speak,write n listen well. I don't wish to be back out..
Pls guide me
Inu

Postby Spaztick » Tue 08.09.2005 8:37 am

See my FAQ on teh general board.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby LordDisa » Wed 08.17.2005 2:18 pm

(XD at Spaztick's sig) ;)

Pretty soon I'll need to purchase Heisig's first book, as I'm nearing completion of the PDF of part one.

Along with this book, I downloaded the trial version of the KanjiCan software (http://www.kanjisoft.com), which has an option for viewing (and printing via CTRL-P.. oddly enough there's no menu option for it) flashcards for all 2042 of the kanji covered by the first two Heisig books (and in the indexing order of the first Heisig book).

I then printed out all 128 pages of flash cards out on cardstock (somewhat complicated ordeal of printing story sides, reloading paper, then printing kanji sides, 5 sheets at a time), then had them cut appropriately and then sorted them into banded sets of 100 cards each.

I only have two gripes about the flash cards.. Firstly, the readings are in romaji, so when I get to the second book, I'll have to mark them out and rewrite them in kana. Secondly, the last two kanji on the last page print on the left-hand side of the page.. that is, the left-hand side on the front, and the left-hand side on the back, so they aren't lined up with each other...so I had to do some creative photocopying to get them lined up front and back.

Still, I feel that beats paying $130 for the set of flash cards.. ;) I should contact the person/people who made KanjiCan and offer to purchase the software *if* they redo the flash card readings in kana and fix the alignment of the last two cards (easily fixed if they added two blank cards to make a total of 2044, to finish off the row of 4).. ;)

Having the flash cards easily available lets me review what I've learned anywhere.. at work, when with friends, whatever. You'd be amazed how much free time you have at places other than home.
Last edited by LordDisa on Wed 08.17.2005 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ひらがな: 100% カタカナ: 100%
漢字パート一: 8% 漢字パート二: 0%
文法: 0% 語彙: 0%
LordDisa

Postby sakura_joshin » Fri 08.19.2005 10:42 pm

I could probably learn 300 Kanji in a few days... I've learned more than 100 in 3 days (but this is because I have a broken foot and have nothing better to do than study japanese) And I've almost got hiragana down after week, as well as most of the grammar rules... At this rate, I'll be fluent before I go into 9th grade.
BoA rocks! :D
sakura_joshin

Postby hyperconjugated » Sat 08.20.2005 8:20 am

sakura_joshin wrote:
I could probably learn 300 Kanji in a few days... I've learned more than 100 in 3 days (but this is because I have a broken foot and have nothing better to do than study japanese) And I've almost got hiragana down after week, as well as most of the grammar rules... At this rate, I'll be fluent before I go into 9th grade.

LOL. You can't be serious ;). If you learned more than 100 kanji in 3 days, that makes, let's say about 35 kanji in a day. There are 46 hiragana. With same logic you should have nailed hiragana down in less than two days, not in a week. Learning kanji involves knowing the stroke order, multiple kun- and on-readings and IMO atleast the most common jukugo insideout whereas hiragana has only character-sound relation, hence they are much easier and faster to learn. Don't let these facts get you down kid, learning is usually (slow)steady and rewarding process. :)
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby Kates » Sat 08.20.2005 11:31 am

Studying/practicing them is one thing. KNOWING/learning them is another. I agree that learning 100 kanji in a day is crazy, and nigh-impossible. (I'm reminded of the 'quality not quantity' phrase...) I wonder how well you could reproduce those 100 kanji the next day, and if you know all their readings...

Yeah, I don't want to sound mean either but... you should slow down. I mean, knowing kanji doesn't help make you fluent. There are conjugations and grammar rules that you won't be learning if you only study kanji. And it's better to study a few kanji at a time, learning them inside out, than glossing over 100 and forgetting 90 by the next day. >_<
Kates

Postby fated » Sat 08.20.2005 11:47 am

some of you tells me that kanji is easy some don't...
guess i should'nt underestimate kanji maybe it is really "that" hard ganbare to myself i'll be needing it waaaaaa!!!

I WON'T BE INTIMIDATED!!! :@
Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are...
fated

Postby Daisuke » Sat 08.20.2005 11:54 am

Kanji is as hard as you make them yourself.

Therefore people who says kanji are easy, takes it as a challenge to learn, and have fun with it. And the chance of learning is very much bigger that way.

Those who keeps saying kanji are hard, does not try to have fun with it instead. If you look at them and say 'waaaaaaaahh' then you's never learn them.

Look at them, and do your best.

Good luck.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Kates » Sat 08.20.2005 12:47 pm

Too right, Daisuke! I love the idea of the kanji--Japanese writing so so much prettier than English... ): So I really love learning kanji.

You just have to find a way that works for you--flash cards, work book, group study, whatever--and make use of it. ^_^ MAKE IT FUN. Learning sucks when it's not fun. :P
Kates

Postby reijitsu » Tue 09.06.2005 2:45 pm

w00t. kanji is fun. makes ya feel like you know what you're doing in japanese finally. (at least when you read!) also, it gives you a sense of satisfaction when people wanna quiz you on your list and you get every one right!!!! ^_^
reijitsu

Postby Gakusha » Tue 09.06.2005 10:22 pm

I'm one of those people that still looks at a paragraph in Japanese and drops my jaw. But recently i've started to read it anyway, substituting the all but 50 kanji I don't know with "something" as I'm reading. It's still fun to read and I sometimes pick up on the meaning of the sentence.
赤い猿の学者
Gakusha

Postby apophis » Wed 09.07.2005 6:44 pm

hehehe, well, after reading all the post ( or at least almost all of ´em ) I can say, as teacher, that the best method to learn a language is going to depend on the student and the development of his skills... do not forget that a language is a compound of skills ( reading, writing, speaking, listening, and even more.... culture ) so if some methods are not useful for some of u yet, do not worry and try to find your own way in the language, is not so hard as it seems... GOOD LUCK!:D;)
Things don´t kill you make you stronger
apophis

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test