Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Advice on learning Kanji.

Advice on learning Kanji.

The test - experiences, questions or comments

RE: Advice on learning Kanji.

Postby redfoxer » Sat 06.18.2005 7:37 am

Musha wrote:
who got some good sites 2 learn japanese??
i really wonna learn the language =)

thnx

I love it when people do this. it makes no sense. I see the same thing happen on some download sites i browse i also see people posting where can i download 'so and so'. Mostly they do it to raise there post count. ne?
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby dasr20dragon » Mon 06.20.2005 7:54 pm

i cant post my avatar what the h-e double hockey sticks
dasr20dragon

Postby Tsuyoiko » Fri 06.24.2005 7:18 am

starfightermercurius wrote:
My method is simple. I simply write out 16 kanji in the morning. Then every hour and a half, write another 16, along with the previous 16, totaling 32 kanji for this second period. I keep going in this fashion, until i reach 80 kanji for the day.
If this doesn't work for you, then WORK HARDER! YOUR BRAIN IS LAZY!!!!!

Another reason this might not work for some people is that some of us have to work/keep house/cook/sleep etc, giving us much less time to study than you. But for someone with unlimited time on their hands it sounds like a good method.;)
Tsuyoiko

Postby starfightermercurius » Fri 06.24.2005 3:40 pm

Tsuyoiko wrote:

Another reason this might not work for some people is that some of us have to work/keep house/cook/sleep etc, giving us much less time to study than you. But for someone with unlimited time on their hands it sounds like a good method.;)

I am a full time college student (day), and I have a full time job (night). This method only takes me only 20 minutes out of the day, usually on my lunch break during the day. I'm sure people can find 20-30 of free time in a day, it doesn't even have to be 20 minutes consecutively. Just as long as the cumulative effort is effective.
Always fly low and fast...or at least doing Mach 2.2 @ FL600
starfightermercurius

Postby Steve_Poppers » Sat 06.25.2005 1:25 am

Do you retain all the kanji that you practice?
Last edited by Steve_Poppers on Sun 06.26.2005 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
If only I had more answers than questions...Wouldn\'t that be nice...
Steve_Poppers

Postby Dani » Sat 06.25.2005 12:55 pm

I just use flashcards, they work surprisingly well, at least for me. But the problem is I forgot how to write them often(how embarassing).

And constant exposure, I mean like, reading japanese everyday. Even if you don't understand all of it.
Last edited by Dani on Sat 06.25.2005 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dani

Postby Gakusha » Sat 06.25.2005 9:58 pm

Is there any good way to memorize the on and kun readings? That's my only problem; I can remember the definitions and stroke order perfectly well.:|
赤い猿の学者
Gakusha

Postby dballred » Sun 06.26.2005 2:02 am

I learned Japanese in an odd order--but it makes sense if you are living there as a foreigner. Within my first couple of weeks, I learned around 200 Kanji--thanks to the book mentioned elsewhere in this thread, Read Japanese Today. In no time, I was reading signs on buildings. Japan was less bewildering than it could have been.

One cautionary note on the book: It lies a bit. It makes symbolic claims about simplified characters as though that was the way the ancient Chinese came up with them. Simplified characters were introduced in the late '40s as part of a sweeping reform of the written language. Other than that, I can't recommend this book too highly. It takes nearly all the mystery out of the "chicken scratches" because you can extrapolate a lot from what you learn.

After that, I learned katakana--the phonetic alphabet used for Foreign and scientific words. I found it very useful when looking at menus and exceptionally useful when using the jukebox.

Up to this point, I didn't need to know a single word of Japanese. Learning spoken Japanese was a parallel process. If you want to connect spoken to written Japanese, though, you're "gonna hafta" learn hiragana.
dballred

RE: Kanji Learning Software

Postby Oleg Podsadny » Wed 06.29.2005 11:37 am

Nice program to learn Kanji like playing a game
Recognizes your handwriting input

http://rainboo.com
Oleg Podsadny

Postby Tsuyoiko » Thu 06.30.2005 8:56 am

starfightermercurius wrote:
thou subdued souls, I memorize 80 kanji a week
tsk,tsk,tsk. WORK HARDER!!!!!
and
I am a full time college student (day), and I have a full time job (night). This method only takes me only 20 minutes out of the day, usually on my lunch break during the day. I'm sure people can find 20-30 of free time in a day, it doesn't even have to be 20 minutes consecutively. Just as long as the cumulative effort is effective.

Forgive me for being sceptical, but I find it hard to see how anyone can learn 80 kanji a week in 20 minutes a day. If you can really do this you are an exception. People who can't do this are not lazy, just human!;)
Tsuyoiko

Postby Tsuyoiko » Thu 06.30.2005 9:00 am

Gakusha wrote:
Is there any good way to memorize the on and kun readings? That's my only problem; I can remember the definitions and stroke order perfectly well.:|

Learn the jukugo.
Tsuyoiko

Postby no1sleepintokyo » Fri 07.01.2005 2:43 am

I think it will help alot of you try to read stories/articles with furigana with an electronic dictioanry or just some dictionary on the net. This helped me a lot with a lot of the common words they use in news articles. Another good way to learn kanji is... (what i do) use a japanese computer NO NO NO ENGLISH and.. use it to an extent you somewhat have a feel for them? lol i think that is a bit stupid but it worked for me lol =P
世界の一番シンガー(笑)
no1sleepintokyo

Postby starfightermercurius » Mon 07.04.2005 4:59 pm

avoid eigo like the plague!:p
Always fly low and fast...or at least doing Mach 2.2 @ FL600
starfightermercurius

Postby mithrila » Sun 07.10.2005 10:08 pm

1. I use Kanji Gold to isolate what my next Kanji are (I go by grades in school). I pick between 10-20, depends on how busy my week is going to be. lf I've got two marching band rehearsals, a football game and a competition in the same week, I'm probably only going to do 10 that week. Let's say that I choose 夢

2. I start the week by making big copies of the kanji and pasting them to the inside of my clarinet/oboe case, locker, binders, whatever I look at a lot. That way, I get used to seeing the kanji. From using the Kanji gold, I already know what they mean, and if I need to, I can look it up again, but ussually I don't need to. So when I look at 夢, I will automatically say, "Hey, that means dream." I don't need to create mnemonics (trust me, I did that for the first 200, and it drove me nuts).

3. At this point, I start to write them. More than likely, they won't be pretty, but it's more for the stroke order than anything. I get the wierdest looks from my teachers when the margins are full of random kanji, though that's just the first week of school, than they start writing comments on how pretty they look (the most japanese they know is domo arigatou mr. robato).

4. I use my dictionary, since it has compounds for the kanji in question, and I start using them in sentences. I trick my mind into memorizing the on-readings. So for 夢 (mu), I'll get 夢中、悪夢、迷夢...

5. Finally, I'll take a look at the kun-readings. If it's a verb, I'll check if it's transitive or not. If it's a verb, I'll go to Jim Breen's site (http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb /wwwjdic.html), and get some example sentences for the verb. I usually store them in the back of my head. If I need them, I'll use them. I may have to look them up to make sure I have the exact meaning, and I don't feel ashamed doing it. Now 夢 is easy, it's just yume.

6. Now that I've studied the 10 kanji extensivly, I go to the next set. It's really satisfying when I look back on the former quarter and see that I've learned so many kanji!

At the end of the year, I give myself a test. Out of 929, I only missed 13. It works, and I do it in my spare time, using pure brain power, and skills that I've used to learn how to read English since I was 4.
Best blond moment (said to a Japanese person):

\"Can you understand Anime without the subtitles on?\"

*sigh* I wish I could claim that one!
mithrila

Postby Gakusha » Tue 07.12.2005 9:34 pm

mithrila wrote:
1. I use Kanji Gold to isolate what my next Kanji are (I go by grades in school).

When you say grades in school, are you speaking of the grade level listed above the JLPT level in this site's kanji database, or the Joyou grade? Sorry if they're the same thing, but I don't know that for sure.
赤い猿の学者
Gakusha

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test