Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What JLPT are you planning to take for 2006?

What JLPT are you planning to take for 2006?

The test - experiences, questions or comments

RE: What JLPT are you planning to take for 2006?

Postby keatonatron » Wed 02.15.2006 2:59 am

When I told my teacher I wanted to study Japanese at a university in Japan, she said "Nah, you're not good enough. Those classes are for Chinese and Korean students that are a lot better at studying than you are." Needless to say, when I applied to study abroad she didn't choose me. :@

So, on my own dime I came to Japan, enrolled in a language school, passed the level 2 test (in America my Japanese class was around level 3), and daily I show up the Chinese and Korean students in my class B)

Take that, [insert bad name for teacher here]!
Last edited by keatonatron on Wed 02.15.2006 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Zeo » Wed 02.15.2006 4:57 pm

Haha, very nice keatonatron!
that shows it! the attitude has everything to say! ;) And don't let people get you down. Belive in yourselves! keatonatron is now the prove for this! :D ;) hehe. ;)

Congratulations keatonatron;)
Zeo

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Sachi » Wed 02.15.2006 6:32 pm

Zeo wrote:
Haha, very nice keatonatron!
that shows it! the attitude has everything to say! ;) And don't let people get you down. Belive in yourselves! keatonatron is now the prove for this! :D ;) hehe. ;)

Congratulations keatonatron;)

I second that ;) I try to study a little every day, and I'm gradually getting better. Congrats, keatonatron, and good luck to everyone planning to tast any level of the JLPT this year =)
Sachi

Postby CDarklock » Wed 02.15.2006 7:09 pm

keatonatron wrote:
Take that, [insert bad name for teacher here]!

In my experience, teachers are quite possibly the worst judges of academic ability on the planet.

Which is sort of ironic.

It annoys the crap out of me when they say "show your work" on a math test, then mark you down because it simply never occurred to you that dividing 84 by 3 was "work" for some people. It's even more annoying if you write "84/3 = 90/3 - 6/3 = 30 - 2 = 28" and get marked wrong because that's not how the teacher told you to do it.

I was *supposed* to write "84/3 = 60/3 + 24/3 = 20 + 8 = 28". Somehow, I don't really see much of a difference.

I hated school. The learning part was great, it was all the ignorant jerks I had to deal with that made it such a pain. And *then* there were the STUDENTS.

[Edit]

I should probably say something on-topic here... (blush)

I'm not really planning to take any JLPT this year, but that decision may change. It depends on how I feel about my abilities around June or so.
Last edited by CDarklock on Wed 02.15.2006 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CDarklock

Postby Daisuke » Wed 02.15.2006 7:48 pm

CDarklock wrote:
I should probably say something on-topic here... (blush)

Heh, I think your post was fine, ;) At least you got out your point.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby tanuki » Wed 02.15.2006 9:57 pm

How can you know your Japanese level? I mean, I know some basic stuff, but I don't know if I would be able to, say, take level 3 this year because I don't really know how much I know (and could learn till the end of the year) according to the test's "scale", do you know what I mean?

Anyway, I don't plan on taking level 4, because from what I've read it seems like a waste of money, and that's not something I can afford to waste... I'm sure I would do level 3 directly, but, as I've already said, I must still see if I can do it this year or next.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby maco » Thu 02.16.2006 2:43 am

A good starting point is looking at the list on http://www.kanjisite.com and seeing how many kanji you know from each level
maco

Postby keatonatron » Thu 02.16.2006 8:01 am

I don't remember where it was, but somewhere I found a little self-test you can do. It had a bunch of kanji with check boxes, and you tick all the ones you know. It then has a huge list of grammar terms and you again tick the ones you know. Then it estimates what your score would be for the chosen test.

So... go look for that. It's on some JLPT site somewhere.
keatonatron

Postby angstycoder » Thu 02.16.2006 9:05 am

Well, in 1.5 weeks of actually studying in what little free time I have, I can write out half the hiragana without any help, and can recognize almost all of them. At my current rate, I could have all the Kana down by mid-March. I know about 10-15 Kanji as far as English meaning, but not so much the Japanese or Chinease readings, so definite disadvantage there. As for grammar... I'm sold it NOUN1 wa NOUN2 desu! hehehe.

So probably no test for me until 2007 given my busy work and school schedule, but by then probable the 3Kyuu.

Using
- this site! The Japanese learning suite and kana drill downloads are stellar!
- A Guide to Learning Hiragana & Katakana *Kenneth G. Henshall with Tetsuo Takagaki) [learning to write the kana]
- Japanese for Busy People revised ed. [reading, grammar, vocabulary]
angstycoder

Postby Zeo » Thu 02.16.2006 9:40 am

Maybe some of you would like this test.
http://www.kanjistep.com/en/online/weeklytest/intro.html
I had other links to some self tests, but can't seem to find them right now.
Zeo

Native language: Norwegian

Postby tanuki » Thu 02.16.2006 7:59 pm

keatonatron wrote:
I don't remember where it was, but somewhere I found a little self-test you can do. It had a bunch of kanji with check boxes, and you tick all the ones you know. It then has a huge list of grammar terms and you again tick the ones you know. Then it estimates what your score would be for the chosen test.

So... go look for that. It's on some JLPT site somewhere.

That sounds amazing!!! If you remember where it was, please post it, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

And Zeo, thanks a lot for the link, it looks really interesting! I'll see how I score...
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby OsakeNoYojimbo » Mon 02.20.2006 1:36 am

I'm planning on taking 3kyuu this year. Now for my rant:

Please understand that kanji is not the only part of the exam, so saying "all you need is N kanji and M vocab" is WRONG! I blindly went into 4kyuu thinking this and burned. I'm not even looking forward to seeing my results which should be here soon. Here are the caveats and my best idea of how to avoid them for all the "first-timers", which I need to preface by saying that I am self-studying (more challenging, and cheaper):

Problem: the tests are in Japanese
Solution: get a previous exam so that you can understand what they want you to be able to do better, whether you translate it yourself, or have someone help. You also get a practice test :D Clay sells these.

Problem: it's more than just rote memorization
Solution: study something that teaches grammar, etc. along with vocab and kanji. I have found my understanding increase greatly with "Japanese for Busy People Kana Edition". Wow! I was so dumb going in there w/o studying this kind of stuff. There is a ton of reading practice in this book and I think it would help even at the lowest level.

Problem: listening section sucks...HARD
Solution: I even heard the well-prepared people complaining about it, so my best suggestion is finding all the audio you can. My favorites (although untested) since January of this year have been anime, NHK's lessons and radio broadcasts, and podcasts (sorry, don't have any URL's handy). Anyone else who has suggestions here would be great.

Problem: you fail the exam
Solution: don't give up! If you just took 4kyuu, shoot for 3. I know it seems premature for me to say this w/o the experience, but there's certainly nothing wrong with shooting for the stars.

These are just my personal suggestions. Hopefully someone will find this helpful.
Last edited by OsakeNoYojimbo on Mon 02.20.2006 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
OsakeNoYojimbo

Postby keatonatron » Mon 02.20.2006 3:49 am

This is the site I looked at before:

http://www.mlcjapanese.co.jp/LevelCheck/PT/01E.htm

Pretty good site to figure out what you know and what you don't, and your estimated score on the actual test. I'm not sure how accurate the estimate is, but it will definately give you a good idea of what test to shoot for.

Note that you aren't required to fill in your personal info at the top, you can just skip that if you aren't interested in attending the school.
Last edited by keatonatron on Mon 02.20.2006 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Postby Kates » Tue 02.21.2006 3:39 pm

Well, with luck I'll have passed 2005's 3kyuu test (and I'm really not that worried) so I'll be moving on to 2kyuu... however... I feel the jump from 3 to 2 is tremendous, and not really being enrolled in a class right now... well, it makes studying a little difficult. But, keatonatron, you give me hope! XD

keatonatron wrote:
I was really only a level 3 speaker 2 months before the test, but with determination I was able to make it a whole level. I know hardly anyone else has the resources I do to study for 6+ hours a day, but that's why you should start now and push yourself (if only a little).

I might not be able to study 6+ hours a day, but this certainly gives me heart that I can get up to 2kyuu level by December. And if not, so what? ^_^ I'll take it anyway and perhaps fail... but I'll come back stronger next year and pass for sure. (Or, hopefully, I'll be moving on to 1kyuu O_O )
Kates

Postby Pianogirl123 » Wed 02.22.2006 9:52 pm

Hey i have lots of questions of my own so excuse me if I ask too many ;)

What do you have to knwo other than kanji and vocabulary?
Do you have to know all the individual meanings and pronounciations of the kanji of just how to read them in context?
How many years does a person usualy have been studying for before attemtping the easiet lvl? (i have been studying on my own via the internet and stuff from my library and bookstore for about 1 year now)
Is there an oral exam or a written exam?
Is there an age limit as to who can apply (I am 14)
How much time do you get?

thankyou for listening to my many questions :D:D:D
Pianogirl123

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test