Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Ok, what book to get next?

Ok, what book to get next?

The test - experiences, questions or comments

Ok, what book to get next?

Postby Spaztick » Mon 04.11.2005 5:08 pm

Yays for me, I just finished Read JAPANESE Today! I now know 264 Kanji, and am ready to move on. So, what should I do/buy next?

I'd prefer something with a similar method of learning, but if it gives me at least 2000 kanji or so then I'll get it (the method of learning isn't as important, but I'd like it if there was a brief description of where the kanji originated from).

So, if anyone has suggestions of what books or websites I should head to, just tell me.

Thanks in advance! (BTW don't thank a Japanese person in advance, it's considered rude because they think you assumed that they were going to do it before you asked.)
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

RE: Ok, what book to get next?

Postby Qbe » Mon 04.11.2005 11:04 pm

Haven't I convinced you to try the Heisig method yet? ;)

Actually it'd be fun to have a challenge: Heisig method vs. the traditional method to see who could learn the 2000 characters most quickly. I don't know how such a thing could be tested, though. Oh well.
Qbe

Postby Schattenjedi » Tue 04.12.2005 9:51 am

I would recommend the book "Kanji und Kana 1" (Kanji and Kana 1). It's published by Langenscheidt but I don't know if there is an English version or not. I have the German version. Included in the book are all 1945 Jouyou Kanji and 230 odd name Kanji. For every Jouyou Kanji they give you the stroke order, the readings, and 5 compounds in which the Kanji are used. In the back of the book you can look up the Kanji using either the 80 odd radical system, the 240 odd radical system, or with Romaji. The book is more of a lexicon than a teaching book but I find it very suitable for learning Kanji. I don't know what your end goal is but for me it's to know all Jouyou Kanji so it's perfect for my case. The name Kanji section has all the Kanji that are allowed in names which I think has good lexical value but I don't plan on learning those. Good luck with whichever book you choose!
Last edited by Schattenjedi on Tue 04.12.2005 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schattenjedi

Postby Spaztick » Tue 04.12.2005 2:59 pm

Thanks guys, yea I looked at the Heilsig method, and I'm gonna do that (sort of). I have my own way to learn, I just need some sort of reference on the origin of the kanjis. I do think that Remembering the Kanji has that.

My goal is to learn the Jyoyou Kanji, yes. :)

Again, thanks!
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates