Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Global cheating

Global cheating

The test - experiences, questions or comments

Global cheating

Postby tanuki » Mon 10.30.2006 9:56 pm

Hello, people!

I wonder if this has been talked about already...I don't know how could I search about this so I'll just start a new thread.

Let's imagine that I have an European (or Asiatic, Oceanic...) friend who is taking the JLPT4 this year. I am taking the JLPT4, too. Now, if they took the same test, the same day as I, they would take it earlier than I and they would be able to pass the answers to me over the internet.

So, what do they do to avoid this? Are there different tests for the different regions of the globe?

Thanks in advance for your replies. Bye!

(By the way, I'm not planning on cheating, I'm just curious ;))
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

RE: Global cheating

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Mon 10.30.2006 11:02 pm

Honestly No Idea.

I thought about this on the SAT. because japan is 17 Hours ahead of where I live in California so Technically that would also be possible.

Im guessing they would have different tests. But I also wouldnt be suprised if they were the same.

I just really dont know.
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby Infidel » Tue 10.31.2006 12:41 am

even at one location, standardized tests usually come in at least 4 versions. So when you take a test, it is unlikely the person next to you is taking the very same test.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Rounin T » Tue 10.31.2006 1:23 am

Maybe that kind of cheating doesn't work so well anyway. If my hypothetical foreign friend sent me his best guess at the right answers, I'd throw them away and take the test myself.
Rounin T

Postby Nibble » Tue 10.31.2006 3:46 am

It would be pretty hard for both you and your friend to memorize all of the exact answers (not the letters, those are easily randomized) to all of the questions, in order (assuming that the questions themselves are not in random order). You will only have a few hours between tests to do so, and he will have only the duration of the test, during which he also has to write it.

There's also the possibility that they use completely different tests for different time zones in order to further the reduce the chance of successfully cheating.
Last edited by Nibble on Tue 10.31.2006 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nibble

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 11.01.2006 2:34 am

Up to this point, the JLPT comes in one flavor for all regions. Whether or not this will change in the future I don't know, but for now one test the world over.

Cheating across borders is indeed a problem. I know that there are groups (mainly chinese, it seems) that have about 10 people go in for the test in Japan and each memorize 10-15 questions. They don't actually answer the questions, and when they're done, they go and compile the questions and sell them online. They apparently go for good money.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Wed 11.01.2006 6:06 am

Harisenbon wrote:
Up to this point, the JLPT comes in one flavor for all regions. Whether or not this will change in the future I don't know, but for now one test the world over.

Cheating across borders is indeed a problem. I know that there are groups (mainly chinese, it seems) that have about 10 people go in for the test in Japan and each memorize 10-15 questions. They don't actually answer the questions, and when they're done, they go and compile the questions and sell them online. They apparently go for good money.

ahhh the chinese....
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 11.01.2006 6:54 am

I consider even studying for a test cheating.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 11.01.2006 8:16 am

I am intrigued by your ideas, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 11.01.2006 8:19 am

Harisenbon wrote:

I am intrigued by your ideas, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

First you gotta drink the Kool-Aid.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 11.01.2006 11:10 am

kool-aid drinkers never prosper.. in whatever shape, form or motivation they have.. unless of course it is grape kool-aid, then i'm in.. :D
two_heads_talking

Postby Eddie63 » Sun 11.19.2006 5:13 pm

In the US I think they forbid us to use our cellphones during the breaks and a little after the test except they don't check (how are they suppose to stop us once we're out of class anyways?)so it's pretty useless... :S
Eddie63

Native language: French/other

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sun 11.19.2006 9:47 pm

Eddie63 wrote:
In the US I think they forbid us to use our cellphones during the breaks and a little after the test except they don't check (how are they suppose to stop us once we're out of class anyways?)so it's pretty useless... :S

YEAH BUT HOW ARE THEY GONNA STOP ME WHEN MY CELLPHONE IS IN MY BRAIN!!!!
自由た〜!!!
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby kevinpah » Wed 11.29.2006 11:37 pm

Language studies is a lifetime, there's no endings, like a university course. Because we all love Japanese language, there's won't be pressure on this Sunday.
Well worth it for going through something difficult. I'm in Malaysia, one hour-difference from Japan.
kevinpah

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Thu 11.30.2006 12:04 am

My teacher told me there used to be a big problem like this for the AP tests, which is a test that some kids take in America. I think now there are different tests depending on what time zone you take the test in.

I have to think that the JLPT will change in the future to be different in the different regions. It's just to easy to do what Harisenbon said.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Next

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test